Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

OS GT33 or DLE 35RA

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS GT33 or DLE 35RA

I look at it this way. I can fix an engine if it comes and has some running issues. But if I break one the parts are a big difference in these engines. A new carb for the OS is 170 dollars( and no that is not a misprint) and one for the dle is 35. A new crankshaft with connecting rod for a dle 30 is 40 dollars for the OS it is 104 the connecting rod is another additional 56.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: skillet92

I look at it this way. I can fix an engine if it comes and has some running issues. But if I break one the parts are a big difference in these engines. A new carb for the OS is 170 dollars( and no that is not a misprint) and one for the dle is 35. A new crankshaft with connecting rod for a dle 30 is 40 dollars for the OS it is 104 the connecting rod is another additional 56.
Pretty much how I feel. DLE parts are cheaper and 2 cycle engines are easy to repair. The most complex part on the engine itself is the carburetor.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thing about Walbro carbs, their mounting is common. The DLE30 carb fits the OS33 body fine and is the right size and style for the 33. I'm not 100% on the pressure port location but that's an easy fix.....

Point is there are ways around these types of issues. If a conrod is broken on the OS, or any of these small gassies, what the heck were you hauling? If you happen to have a defective part chances are very good it won't wait to break until after the warranty runs out. C'mon, I think you guys are making way to much of this
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM
skillet92

A simple nose over or bad landing can bend a crank or break a conrod. And i bet we all still have those.

I am not saying the dle is better. The os is stronger, but for the savings and flying i do i can settle for the dle. Now if the os was rear exhuast i might give it a second thought, but the 35 being rear exhuast fit perfect inside the mustang cowl.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 AM
[email protected]

hi I just almost done with ziroli pt 17 77 which engine you recomandate plane I think 20 pound .gas engine I am thinking.thanks.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 PM
robertwilkerson

I went around the same stump trying to choose DLE or OS DLE highly recommended from the guy at the field part cheaper so went with the 35ra. Did the Boman ring and have to adjust it slightly as it was to tight actually bought 2 first one broke upon install (by the way it is a pinned ring and the long point goes down) finally got it installed broke it in, had some radio failure and stripped bottom off the aircraft cowl smashed engine with exception of muffler looked fine. Box it until another purchase could be made. Installed tried to start run 1-2 seconds quit, tried everything ignition, battery, fuel line, tank all the same. Now here is the reason why you buy from a known vender (Tower). I sent it to Hobby Services (Hobbico) first time new piston,cylinder ring. No charge! got it back still same problem, next time sent back they installed a new carb block and reeds again no charge. The engine was still under warranty. I know the next time I buy it will be an OS there is no reason why an engine that had less than 1 gallon through it should need that many parts that quickly! Fortunate I was still under warranty the cost of those parts was at least half the price of a new. Always have have good luck with OS and you do pay for the quality.

Last edited by robertwilkerson; 03-20-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 PM
akouzmit

Well, I have 2 OS GT33 and one OS GT60.
All of them purchased at Tower Hobbies from the first time they become available.
I have flown planes with GT33 many times and since purchase never change anything ... Never was even thinking about that service support things :-).
Good quality super reliable and getting better with each flight.

I guess old statement: "You are getting what you are paying for ... " can be applied here ...
Old 10-29-2015, 05:26 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by Whistling Death
Pretty much how I feel. DLE parts are cheaper and 2 cycle engines are easy to repair. The most complex part on the engine itself is the carburetor.
Hey gang, on the suggestion of a contributor in another thread I ordered some parts for my OS GT33 from RCJapan.com. These guys' business is strictly exporting Japanese RC parts, components, whatever to other countries.

The cost at Tower for the parts I needed was about 265$. The cost at RCJapan was about 90$ US. Shipping cost was 18.50 to NJ. I have not received the parts yet so don't know how long and in what condition they will be received but it is another option worth looking into.

As you can guess they deal only in Japanese components so trying to get parts for a DLE won't do any good. But if you have a Japanese engine in need of repairs and your only option seemed to be TH, think again
Old 11-08-2015, 03:21 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Did the parts show up yet?

tony
Old 11-08-2015, 08:07 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by vatechguy3

tony
Tony, It's been two weeks so they should show up this week. Since the above posting I've heard srom several fellows who have ordered from RCJapan with good results/service. I guess I expect similar but we'll see.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:54 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by vatechguy3

tony
Well well....the shipment just arrived. Took just a couple days over two weeks. That is pretty darned good from halfway around the world. All except for the header are genuine original OS in OS packaging

I bought the following parts:
piston
liner
circlips
piston ring
rear bearing
Hatori back to center header