Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

New Evolution Engines!! 15GX, 20GX, 33GX

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution Engines!! 15GX, 20GX, 33GX

Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution Engines!! 15GX, 20GX, 33GX

The rod is also the same?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

David or Pete,

When will you have the manual for the 20GX online? Also, do you have any videos of these engines running?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they perform like the 10GX then they should be winners. The 33 has a Walbro(type) carb so better yet !
The LHS is getting some in and I'll be checking them out next month.
I see the stock pic of the 20 showing an inverted  Pitts muffler. Will the 20 be coming with that or a  standard can muffler ? Will both be available?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Pete Bergstrom

We will have the 20cc manual up in the next couple of days and the video is still being finalized. Yes, the 20cc will come with the wraparound muffler as shown.

Pete
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 AM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

Pete,

What is the difference in the two black rubber fuel tubing you sell:

SAIG36155 - Fuel tubing, gas, durable

EVOA102 - FKM medium fuel tubing

Are they the same material and size? Should they be used for different applications?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 AM
jspauld2

The difference in the fuel tubing is that the Saito is Neoprene and the EVO fuel tubing is a fluorocarbon (FKM) rubber. The applications are very similar, but the fluorocarbon has a better resistance to heat and gasoline. Neoprene tends to swell more than FKM but in general they have very similar characteristics. We have found in testing that the FKM was a better solution for fuel setups.

As for the size, they are very close if not the same.

You can use both for the same application.

Hope this helps,
Jimmy

ORIGINAL: corvettez06

Pete,

What is the difference in the two black rubber fuel tubing you sell:

SAIG36155 - Fuel tubing, gas, durable

EVOA102 - FKM medium fuel tubing

Are they the same material and size? Should they be used for different applications?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:18 AM
jspauld2

I'll try to get you this measurement as soon as Ican. The tube does not extend much past the width of the case, it is fairly compact.

Thanks,
Jimmy

ORIGINAL: ChriCYWG

Does anyone happen to know the width of the muffler on the 33cc motor?? Im going to be starting my rascal 110 shortly, and this caught my attention... either that or Syssa 30cc.. Im looking to not hack the cowl if necessary, and I know the syssa fits perfect...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As these bigger engines run a crankcase pressure system, will it be possible to mount the tank further backwards over the CG?

If it uses a check valve and crankcase pressure, there should be more then enough pressure to supply the carb with fuel as I see it.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM
jspauld2

We suggest mounting it as close as possible to the firewall. The fuel tank location is critical for fuel delivery.

I would suggest trying your tank location on the ground and check the running thoroughly before flight testing. ie: holding the model vertically and watching for sagging from the engine.

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

As these bigger engines run a crankcase pressure system, will it be possible to mount the tank further backwards over the CG?

If it uses a check valve and crankcase pressure, there should be more then enough pressure to supply the carb with fuel as I see it.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jspauld2

We suggest mounting it as close as possible to the firewall. The fuel tank location is critical for fuel delivery.

I would suggest trying your tank location on the ground and check the running thoroughly before flight testing. ie: holding the model vertically and watching for sagging from the engine.

Does this mean that the Saito gas carbs are not equal to Walbro carbs in having an internal pump so that the tank location is not critical? The 33 seems to have a Walbro type carb, not so?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

I have several Evolution glow engines and like them very much. Do the gas engines have bushings in the con rod ends? What percent oil do they need in the gas mix? What is the current draw on their ECDIU?

Thanks.

Richard/SAITO Club #635
All the engines have needle bearings on the bottom of the conrods. The 15,20 & 33cc need 25:1 oil for break-in and then can go to 32:1 after that. The ignition draws about 450 may at wide open throttle. Any battery between 4.8 and 8.4 volt is usable without any regulator (2S LiPo ready)

Pete
Sorry, another question, but about the 10cc gas engine. Does the conrod for the 10cc gas engine have needle bearings on both ends? If so, would this rod be usable in the .61NX
so that it could be converted to gas with a gas carb and an ignition system? Thank you very much.

Richard/Club SAITO #635
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM
jspauld2

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I thought we were talking about the 15 and 20cc engines. These two engines have our-design carburetor on them and as thus are driven by muffler pressure (hence the need to mount the tank close to the firewall). However, you are correct that the 33 has a Walbro carb and has more freedom with tank placement as it has an internal pump.

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

ORIGINAL: jspauld2

Does this mean that the Saito gas carbs are not equal to Walbro carbs in having an internal pump so that the tank location is not critical? The 33 seems to have a Walbro type carb, not so?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Pete Bergstrom

The Conrod on the 10cc has needle bearings on the lower end and bushings on the piston end. The length of the rod, and diameter of the lower bearing prevent this rod from being used on the 61NX engine. Sorry for the bad news.

Pete

Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
jspauld2

The rear tube on the wraparound is the widest part of the setup and it is about 101mm across.

If looking at the crankshaft, the muffler is offset about 61mm to the right and 40mm to the left.

Hope this answers your question.
Jimmy

Does anyone happen to know the width of the muffler on the 33cc motor?? Im going to be starting my rascal 110 shortly, and this caught my attention... either that or Syssa 30cc.. Im looking to not hack the cowl if necessary, and I know the syssa fits perfect...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
erieqc

You know it's to bad you guys did away with your planes that these engines would be ideal for. Like the funtana 50 the katana 50 it's just a shame.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Rudeboy

So the 15cc and 20cc engines do not run on crankcase pressure like stated on the website, but they run on muffler pressure?

Do you guys have any idea how much pressure the regulator system in the carb can take? Would it be possible to use a checkvalve and crankcase pressure? Or is that just too much for the regulator system?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Pete Bergstrom

So the 15cc and 20cc engines do not run on crankcase pressure like stated on the website, but they run on muffler pressure?

Do you guys have any idea how much pressure the regulator system in the carb can take? Would it be possible to use a checkvalve and crankcase pressure? Or is that just too much for the regulator system?
we actually didn't test these with crankcase pressure and a check valve because of the extra complexity that goes with it. It should work ok but I have no advice as to where to start with the needle valves because the pressure will no doubt be much higher and I suspect you'll run into problems transitioning between high and low throttle. Because each check valve on the market actually locks in different pressures each setup will be different from one user to the next.

Pete

ps-which website shows these as crankcase pressure engines?

pete

Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Rudeboy

The Evolution 20GX is a 20cc small block gasoline engine designed for .90- to 1.20-size airplanes. It’s been designed with a standard beam mount and dimensions that allow it to fit anywhere you might use a .91- to 1.20-size glow engine. It’s also remarkably lightweight, even with the ignition system and battery. With the included 2S LiPo ready electronic ignition and crankcase pressurre type carburetor, easy starts and tuning are a breeze, allowing you to take the model to the air in no time.

I copy-pasted this from the Evolution Engines website...that's why I assumed they ran on crankcase pressure.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
MTK

Walbro carbs require the engine's own internal pressure and vac pulses to operate the walbro internal pump. The tanks doen't require any pressurization from any source in gasoline set-ups. I suppose you could run muffler pressure but it won't help or hurt performance. The pump carbs havefuel deliverycovered.

You may be thinking of a YS type of pressurization and regulation fuel delivery set-up. Walbro carbs do not operate under such a set-up

I've heard that Walbro pumps are effective enough creating fuel draw (suction) from a tank that if a tank is not vented, the tank can be crushed like an aluminum beer can

Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Rudeboy

Yeah I know, but the 10cc, 15cc and 20cc engines don't have a Walbro type carb.
They have a "normal" twin needle carb (like a glow engine), but with a built-in pressure regulator, fed by a pressurised tank.

Now, on the Evolution and Horizon websites it is stated that these engines have a "crankcase pressure type carb"...which would be great, because you could mount the tank over the CG (crankcase pressure is rather high, and thus capable of feeding fuel a long way).

But apparently this is not the case, and they run on muffler pressure, which requires the tank being behind the firewall.
I would really like to know if the regulator could cope with case pressure...that would make life simpler. I guess I'll have to guinea-pig a crankcase-pressure setup, and see how it turns out.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Mikola

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

ps-which website shows these as crankcase pressure engines?
there are still many sites that haven't updated the engine description, it says 15GX is based on a .60 and 20GX based on a .90...
2 engines 2 mistakes... unbelievable!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
MTK

Yeah I know, but the 10cc, 15cc and 20cc engines don't have a Walbro type carb.
They have a "normal" twin needle carb (like a glow engine), but with a built-in pressure regulator, fed by a pressurised tank.

Now, on the Evolution and Horizon websites it is stated that these engines have a "crankcase pressure type carb"...which would be great, because you could mount the tank over the CG (crankcase pressure is rather high, and thus capable of feeding fuel a long way).

But apparently this is not the case, and they run on muffler pressure, which requires the tank being behind the firewall.
I would really like to know if the regulator could cope with case pressure...that would make life simpler. I guess I'll have to guinea-pig a crankcase-pressure setup, and see how it turns out.

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I am interested only in the 33cc or larger so I didn't look at the smaller ones.

As far as determining what pressure etc. you're probably on your own. If you are the experimenting type, it would be fun figuring it all out
Old 04-28-2013, 01:31 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Weight

Are the specs correct in that the 15cc is almost 10 counces heavier than the 10cc and only 2.5 ounces lighter than the 20cc ?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So when are these going to show as in stock ( 15gx specifically... ) so I can buy one?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

I have several of the H9 warbirds that need building.. Spit, Hellcat, and Thunderbolt... Im thinking the 20cc would be the correct choice??
For the Spit and the Thunderbolt, the 15GX would probably be better. You might look at the 20GX for the Hellcat, but I'm sure the 15 would fly it nicely, too.

I prefer better-than-scale power in warbirds because I think it's more fun; however, in recent years I've started to balance that element with keeping the airplane light. This is why I'd look at the 15 first for these airplanes.

The DLE 20 fits into the cowl of the SPitty and the Jug pretty easily and the spitty won't need it forward cowl desicrated to accomodate the carb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.