Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

New Evolution Engines!! 15GX, 20GX, 33GX

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution Engines!! 15GX, 20GX, 33GX

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Dooz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad Hess.... it was late and for some reason my brain didn't read "pressure fitting on the muffler." Had the Crown goggles on.

My question now is, do most people run smoke on 15 and 20cc birds? It's cool that it's an option, but maybe we should be able to choose one without the fitting (let Horizon modify the muffler), rather than have to modify parts ourselves. I love these engines but why always the extra work on the mufflers (I own two 10gx's and one 15gx2 (uninstalled))? I just install the stock muffler on a DLE 20 and fire it up... no loosening, or sealing and retightening or filling in holes with jb weld

Last edited by Dooz; 11-10-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:00 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just saw the ad in model aviation saying that the 15GX now comes with a pumped carb.

Question, can I buy the pumped carb and and put it on the 15GX that I currently have? ( bought it when the 15 first came out )

Asking b/c while I love the engine, I have had some carb problems with it and I was debating on buying a new carb for it as it was.... would like to buy the pumped carb if that is an option for the engine. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 AM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I was thinking the same. It is not in stock yet, but it is listed separately
Old 11-22-2014, 01:28 PM
hessian123

At the minimum you'd have to drill and tap the crankcase for the pressure port.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:25 AM
jspauld2

Originally Posted by mattnew
Just saw the ad in model aviation saying that the 15GX now comes with a pumped carb.

Question, can I buy the pumped carb and and put it on the 15GX that I currently have? ( bought it when the 15 first came out )

Asking b/c while I love the engine, I have had some carb problems with it and I was debating on buying a new carb for it as it was.... would like to buy the pumped carb if that is an option for the engine. Thanks!
The short answer is that it is possible. What hessian said is true. It may be easier to buy a replacement crankcase and swap out all of the internal components. That way you would avoid any drill shavings falling into bearings or going through the piston/cylinder wall. Swapping out all the internals is not trivial, but definitely doable if you're mechanically inclined. I think it goes without saying, but just to be safe: this will void your warranty.

Originally Posted by Dooz
My question now is, do most people run smoke on 15 and 20cc birds? It's cool that it's an option, but maybe we should be able to choose one without the fitting (let Horizon modify the muffler), rather than have to modify parts ourselves. I love these engines but why always the extra work on the mufflers (I own two 10gx's and one 15gx2 (uninstalled))? I just install the stock muffler on a DLE 20 and fire it up... no loosening, or sealing and retightening or filling in holes with jb weld
The majority of people that fly 15 and 20cc airplanes may not run smoke very often, but we like to make it available to all people. Especially if you look at the work required to retrofit a non-smoke muffler to a smoke muffler (drilling/tapping and finding a place beefy enough to support a tap), it just make sense to add this ability and not require those looking to add smoke to either retrofit or buy a new muffler. We will keep it in mind for the future and will probably change the nipple to a plug and include the nipple in the package. That way a majority of users will not need to do anything out of the box, but those looking for smoke may need to change a fitting. I always appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM
hessian123

Jimmy, thanks for commenting on the smoke port. Do you know what the threads are on the nipple so I can purchase an appropriate bolt to use as a plug?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 AM
jspauld2

The threads are M3. If your local hardware store does not have anything (I would look there first), we have some different items that would have the screws you need.

DYN6018 - M3 x 8mm (contains 4) currently out of stock.
VTR235025 - M3 x 8mm (contains 10)

You would probably want to cut both of these down.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 AM
hessian123

Great, thanks for the information.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure I want to get into that much just to swap out the carb. I have a feeling most of my carb issues were one off problems. Any idea when the older style carb will be back in stock?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:40 PM
fly24-7

I'd appreciate some help from anyone who has a 33GX or any of the Horizon guys that monitor the thread. I need the dimensions from the firewall to the drive washer (preferably, in the backplate mounting lug configuration). I'm building a TBF Avenger that has a tight dimension between the engine box and the cowl opening. I'd rather avoid major modifications and go with an engine with a front or side mount carb. For some reason, Horizon provide dimensions in the manual that get you to this dimension.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattnew

Yes you can put the pumped carb on your 15or 20 Evo.Flying friend has one.He called Horizen They told him to send engine was covered under warranty.Carb is not in stock yet.Maybe they have some for warranty work.
BCCHI
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM
jspauld2

Originally Posted by fly24-7
I'd appreciate some help from anyone who has a 33GX or any of the Horizon guys that monitor the thread. I need the dimensions from the firewall to the drive washer (preferably, in the backplate mounting lug configuration). I'm building a TBF Avenger that has a tight dimension between the engine box and the cowl opening. I'd rather avoid major modifications and go with an engine with a front or side mount carb. For some reason, Horizon provide dimensions in the manual that get you to this dimension.
fly24-7

The following pdf [ATTACH]2051628[/IMG] should get you the dimension you need.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Attached Files
Old 12-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Gordon W

Hi all. I see that the part numbers for the 15GX and 20GX pumped and regulated carbs are the same - EVOG15801. Presumably both then have the same choke diameter in the throttle barrel.

I'd be very grateful if someone could measure and quote here the choke diameter.

I'm hoping that it'll be around 8 or 9mm.

Kind regards, Gordon
Old 12-13-2014, 10:32 AM
BlackPowder

Is anybody having fun with their 15cc gas engine yet? I have the 10cc and like it but am thinking of a 15cc maybe the pumped version, will put it on my U Can Do 46 it flew ok with the 10 but I think I need a little more power. My 10 is on a Stinger II. Used a pitts style muffler but had to plug one of the ports on the muffler because not enough pressure a full throttle. Enough said would like to hear if anyone who is using this engine is satisfied with it.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 PM
brones

Originally Posted by BlackPowder
Is anybody having fun with their 15cc gas engine yet? I have the 10cc and like it but am thinking of a 15cc maybe the pumped version, will put it on my U Can Do 46 it flew ok with the 10 but I think I need a little more power. My 10 is on a Stinger II. Used a pitts style muffler but had to plug one of the ports on the muffler because not enough pressure a full throttle. Enough said would like to hear if anyone who is using this engine is satisfied with it.

I have about 5 flights on my 15GX (pumped carb), it goes very well. only problem is the new one piece muffler leaks black gunk like a sieve, and I can't see how to dismantle to seal (as it looks to be one piece!)
I have it on a Great Planes Escapade 0.61.. fly's very well, and balanced perfectly.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:27 PM
BlackPowder

Originally Posted by brones
I have about 5 flights on my 15GX (pumped carb), it goes very well. only problem is the new one piece muffler leaks black gunk like a sieve, and I can't see how to dismantle to seal (as it looks to be one piece!)
I have it on a Great Planes Escapade 0.61.. fly's very well, and balanced perfectly.
Thanks, I wonder if the one piece is something new, because the manual shows it to be three pieces. On my 10cc I had a lot of black gunk until I installed the pitts muffler and started using Coleman fuel at 32:1, now runs cleaner.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:23 PM
flyhighjoe

Also not in the manuel are the motor mounting demensions.... anybody know what these might be.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 AM
bayfield16

OK here is what has transpired since I last posted. Returned oringinal 15cc engine to Horizon. They rebuilt it and returned it. I mounted it back on the plane, started it up and...same issue, nose down rpm drop and stall. Horizon said to return the engine again, I did and they replaced it with a new one, still the muffler pressure version. I mounted it back on the plane and ....same issue, rpm drop and stall on nose down. I decided to just fly it and fly it to see if I could break it in. After many trips around the field on level flight...nose it down and it died. I took the engine off the plane and mounted it to a test stand. Fired it up and actually tipped the bench forward like a nose down on the plane. It dropped rpm and stalled. Horizon is willing to discount the new pumped version and I don't want to totally re-do the nose of my plane but I am reluctant to buy the new one. I will most likely buy the new pumped version because I liked the size and power of the 15cc gas. If I do I will post with the results..
Old 08-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Tango Juliet

I'm returning to R/C after a few years away, and I'm also coming into Gas power for the first time so I've been looking into these new, smaller gas engines. It appears to me that the ones with issues are the non-pumped versions across all brands. Does anybody else have anything to report as far as the reliability of the pumped 15GX? I'm really leaning toward purchasing this engine.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The 15 weighs nearly the same as a DLE 20. The DLE has much more power, handles easier, flip starts easier, and if you need a hand, they're much more popular, so the chances of finding help at the field much better.

Oh, and the DLE 20 spark plugs are 1/4-1/2 the price of the 1/4-32 plug the 15 uses.

That said, the pumped carb should help make the 15 more popular than it has been. The jury is still out as they're pretty new.

Last edited by ahicks; 08-06-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Tango Juliet

So I would be better off purchasing a DLE 20 is what you're saying?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:55 PM
ahicks

That's my view. 15 is very difficult to justify from a performance perspective. You may be able to justify it due to a smaller dia. prop requirement on the plane you are thinking of, but you could also go to a smaller dia. 3 blade on the 20. Maybe something with a lot of wing area that needs nose weight?

Not picking on just this 15. All of them are the same way (heavy when compared to the DLE 20)

When you drop down to the 10cc engines, that's different story - but with the Evo 10, you loose the pumper carb (for now anyway).
Old 08-06-2015, 07:44 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is of course the Evo 20 with a pumped carb. I choose them because the mounting options were more convenient against the dle. With the front carb it's easier to put in some airframes.

I've heard nothing but good things about the dle20 at our club though...you pays yer money you takes yer choice!

Last edited by cymaz; 08-06-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About adding a pumped carb on a non-pumped engine...It has been done. There is a post somewhere about non pump conversion. You will need to drill/tap the crankcase with a pressure nipple.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:16 AM
ahicks

To my knowledge, there's no pumped carb that will fit the Evo 10 - yet. I'm still hoping/waiting w/fingers crossed. Installing a pulse fitting not that big a deal.

There's a new 8cc Evo in a Mustang, w/pumped carb, available - but of course no mention of that engine, or parts for it, anywhere else. The 15 and 20 share their carbs, hoping the 8cc carb will fit the 10.

Last edited by ahicks; 08-07-2015 at 03:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.