Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DLE 20 Spark Plug Cap

I just received a new DLE 20 and the spark plug cap will not stay on the plug no matter how hard I push it in. I even tried removing the wire ring and opened the cap a bit but it still pops out. It seems the cap does not go beyound the plug nut and so it does not lock on. Anyone having this problem? This is my first gas engine so I don't have any expierience with these engines. I normally fly turbines.
    Larry

RE: DLE 20 Spark Plug Cap

Push it on harder, while slightly turning clockwise. The metal shielding part must cover the plug hex completely.
    If it still won't stay put when all the way down, you probably have the wrong plug! It must be CM6.
    I use a rag or glove to push it down, so my hands don't get hurt.
    Pe, (www.mvvs.nl), MVVS, MOKImotor, RCexl, MTW, Xoar, Mejzlik.
    Blessing in ignorance? There is sanctuary in analysis.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pe reivers,
    Thanks for the quick response and info. After I posted I spoke with someone else and he said the same thing. I am using the DLE 20 plug that came with the engine. Will try it again.
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pe is correct. The plug cap will go over the hex portion of the plug when properly seated.

It takes quite an effort to push the cap that far on the plug. I often use a rubber mallet to tap the cap onto the plug. Just tap it lightly until the hex is covered. After a few on and offs, it will loosen up somewhat and the mallet no longer becomes necessary (for me).

If you remove the ring around the outside of the cap, the cap may not stay seated on the plug. The fix for that is to use a hose clamp. Push the cap over the hex and then tighten down a worm drive hose clamp over the hex section of the plug.

Mike
    Women who have big butts tend to live longer.
    Men who tell them that, don't.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Suggest you get serious about sourcing NGK CM-6 plugs locally too. The stock plug your talking about has caused more headaches than you can believe! Many discount auto supplies can get them for you pretty quick if they don't have any in stock. Normally less than 5.00

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pc reivers,
    Okay the brute force worked. Getting the cap off the plug took a lot of force also and I was afraid of breaking the ceramic part of the plug. I will be getting a spare plug just in case.
    Mike,
    Thanks for your response also. That hose clamp idea sounds good as it would make it easier to install and remove.

Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ahicks,
    Thanks for the info and will do.
    Larry

I take off the caps using the leverage of a flat spanner. If you are careful, no damage is done.
    You should get rid of the DLE plug anyway. They tend to mysteriously cut out at idle.
    Pe, (www.mvvs.nl), MVVS, MOKImotor, RCexl, MTW, Xoar, Mejzlik.
    Blessing in ignorance? There is sanctuary in analysis.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Everyone,
    Thanks for the helpful information. I have ordered the NGK CM-6 plugs and will discard the DLE one.
    Larry