Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 Spark Plug Cap

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Mokulele
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLE 20 Spark Plug Cap

I just received a new DLE 20 and the spark plug cap will not stay on the plug no matter how hard I push it in. I even tried removing the wire ring and opened the cap a bit but it still pops out. It seems the cap does not go beyound the plug nut and so it does not lock on. Anyone having this problem? This is my first gas engine so I don't have any expierience with these engines. I normally fly turbines.
Larry
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20 Spark Plug Cap

Push it on harder, while slightly turning clockwise. The metal shielding part must cover the plug hex completely.
If it still won't stay put when all the way down, you probably have the wrong plug! It must be CM6.
I use a rag or glove to push it down, so my hands don't get hurt.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Mokulele

pe reivers,
Thanks for the quick response and info. After I posted I spoke with someone else and he said the same thing. I am using the DLE 20 plug that came with the engine. Will try it again.
Larry
Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pe is correct. The plug cap will go over the hex portion of the plug when properly seated.

It takes quite an effort to push the cap that far on the plug. I often use a rubber mallet to tap the cap onto the plug. Just tap it lightly until the hex is covered. After a few on and offs, it will loosen up somewhat and the mallet no longer becomes necessary (for me).

If you remove the ring around the outside of the cap, the cap may not stay seated on the plug. The fix for that is to use a hose clamp. Push the cap over the hex and then tighten down a worm drive hose clamp over the hex section of the plug.

Mike
Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Suggest you get serious about sourcing NGK CM-6 plugs locally too. The stock plug your talking about has caused more headaches than you can believe! Many discount auto supplies can get them for you pretty quick if they don't have any in stock. Normally less than 5.00
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Mokulele

Pc reivers,
Okay the brute force worked. Getting the cap off the plug took a lot of force also and I was afraid of breaking the ceramic part of the plug. I will be getting a spare plug just in case.
Mike,
Thanks for your response also. That hose clamp idea sounds good as it would make it easier to install and remove.

Larry
Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Mokulele

ahicks,
Thanks for the info and will do.
Larry
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take off the caps using the leverage of a flat spanner. If you are careful, no damage is done.
You should get rid of the DLE plug anyway. They tend to mysteriously cut out at idle.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Mokulele

Everyone,
Thanks for the helpful information. I have ordered the NGK CM-6 plugs and will discard the DLE one.
Larry