Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Re moving spring on walbro carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re moving spring on walbro carb

I have decided to leave that spring on The Wallbro carb throttle so I just could use a string for the actuation cable.
The servo pulls about 50 to 60 Ma to hold it in place if you are careful not to stall it when it is full open.
If you think there is enough pull to close the throttle if the rf link fails, think again.I am using a Futaba 3003. It doesn't. It might if you used a coreless BB servo but then it would use a lot more current. The reason the current is so low with the 3003 is there is a lot of friction to help hold it at a particular setting. Of course you use more current to move it.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:39 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Re moving spring on walbro carb

Tests have been done. Even using a fast digital servo current is extremely acceptable. The fast servo's have very low "retention force" when signal is lost.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

dirtybird, here is a thread I started one day last year when I was quite bored. I know you like to base your decisions on facts so I hope this bit of info helps. Truly, leaving the springs on the carbs causes minimal current draw even when high torque servos are used.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11213711
Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM
dirtybird

OK I read your thread. I see I even made a comment on it. Im old. I am lucky to remember what I did yesterday, let alone last year.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

OK I read your thread. I see I even made a comment on it. Im old. I am lucky to remember what I did yesterday, let alone last year.
dirtybird, I've read many of your comments in various threads and I hope I'm even half as sharp as you when I get to your age!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
dirtybird

Truckracer I have a small advantage. My father lived to 102. When he died he had an older brother and an older sister. They were listed in the Guinness record book in 1992 as the worlds oldest living siblings.
If only I can lick the cancer thing. So far I have had two cut out.
My eyesight is failing. It makes it hard to see the airplane. At times I just lose sight of it.
I have been using the Eagletree Guardian three axis stabilizer on electrics. When I lose sight of it I just turn on the guardian and let it fly it until I can see it again.
I have been trying to use it on a gas model but vibration is killing me. I just got a Hyde soft mount and hope that will help.
Have you tried to use one of the soft mounts?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Truckracer

dirtybird, sorry no experience with the soft mounts but I know several on here use them. Those that understand the engineering behind them seem to like them. I don't fit that category.

Regarding longevity, my mother will soon be 101 and enjoys very good physical health .. though her mind is not what it once was. Dad lived well into his 90's so maybe I have a good chance to survive a few more years!

I wish you well.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 AM
dirtybird

In the early '70s I borrowed an accelerometer from the Boeing metrology lab and made some measurements. I found that those grommets used to mount the servos did nothing for you in our application. The vibration (40g) was so great and the speed so high the rubber did not have time to get out of the way. Like water, its soft at slow speeds but at high speed it becomes a brick wall.
That Hyde mount seems quite stiff to me. I will know shortly if it solves my problem. Unfortunately I no longer have access to an accelerometer.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM
dirtybird

You may be interested that the hyde mount has fixed my vibration problem.
I monitored the artificial horizon indicator from the stabilizer on a computer with the engine running and it was steady throughout the range of engine speed.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the mount works in taking away the peak vibration acceleration.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

You may be interested that the hyde mount has fixed my vibration problem.
I monitored the artificial horizon indicator from the stabilizer on a computer with the engine running and it was steady throughout the range of engine speed.
I isolate all of mine on my own soft mounts, similar to Hydes. They work fine for gasoline engines. There's no problem with cables coming apart or anything like that, as several gas engine usershadthought several years back whenI first started soft mounting my gassies. Don't worry about the shake at idle; that's low frequency and not destructive. You should also hear a smallimprovement in noise generated by the plane, especially in the air

As far as the spring on throttle, I unclip it and move it down a bit to another hole. It still has enough tension in most cases to return to idle, except tension is much lower.