Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

fuel tank hookup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel tank hookup?

I am finally getting back to getting my Monocoupe ready after a 2 year hiatus. This is my first gas engine and I am clueless. Do I just go with the standard 2 line hookup with the t fitting for filling up?. I remember reading about looping your gas lines for some reason but forget. Also does the tank height matter for gas engines? The engine is a Kalt kg22 which is an early G23 if that matters. Thanks for any help
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuel tank hookup?

I use the 3 line method. 1 line to carb, 1 line that I lope on the top of the tank and is a vent line that dangles out bottom of cowel and one is a fill line. Tanks height doesn't make a difference.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I too use the three line tanks. Use Tygon or black neoprene lines.  I put a sintered brass clunk on the carb line and a regular clunk on the fill line inside the tank. The sintered clunk cuts down on air bubbles in the carb line.Outside the tank the fill line goes to a fuel dot and the carb line gets an in-line filter.  The vent line is the one you can loop on top of the tank before going down to the bottom of the firewall/cowl. The loop prevents gravity from siphoning fuel out of the overflow line as the plane is moved around.
Also make sure you use the proper rubber stopper *safe for gasoline)for the fuel tank.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I too use a 3 line system and for the clunk I use a felt filtered clunk similar to what a weed wacker uses which eliminates both bubbles and debris getting to the carb.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: dasquirrelisme

I am finally getting back to getting my Monocoupe ready after a 2 year hiatus. This is my first gas engine and I am clueless. Do I just go with the standard 2 line hookup with the t fitting for filling up?. I remember reading about looping your gas lines for some reason but forget. Also does the tank height matter for gas engines? The engine is a Kalt kg22 which is an early G23 if that matters. Thanks for any help
A 2 line set-up works great with a Walbro carb...That's whatI use in all of my planes. Many guys are running 3 line set-ups which aslo wrok great. Either set-up works fine.....

Strongly recommend that you use one of the newer tanks on the market that don't use stoppers. The Dubro stoppers for gasoline are undersized and tend to leak (personal experience).

many of usmake our own tanks from Fiji or similar water bottles. You can get fittings from various sources, and I am one of those sources. I also sell the best fuel line for gasoline. OR, if you don't want to mess with making your own, I can build one for you. If interested, contact me directly at my address below
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The looping this is most of us run a vent line in a loop around the top of the tank then out the bottom.

2 line system as Matt said is fine, gas carbs dont move fuel unless they are running.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consensus:
All 3-line setups work well
Some two line set-ups work well.

Which one would you choose?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Thanks for all the help. I am waiting on some epoxy to set up and then installing the tank. Do I really need a 16oz tank for a 23cc engine? Flying for 15 minutes is long enough for me until I need a break. I know they sip fuel slowly .
Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Gas engines are extremely frugal in their fuel consumption and for your 22cc engine (very similar to my G23) a 12 oz tank will easily give you 20 min. of run time and then some.