Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Fuel/Air Ratio Problem with DLE 30?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuel/Air Ratio Problem with DLE 30?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
spinner
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel/Air Ratio Problem with DLE 30?

I have a new DLE 30 that is mounted to a Sig 1/4 Scale Cub. For scale purposes, the cowling has only a minimal amount of cut outs for cooling the cylinder head. I have run about 1/2 - 3/4 gallon of fuel through the engine to date and notice that the engine sounds like it is loading up in flight. Obviously I could lean the low end but I am wondering if the air/fuel ratio is getting too rich because of the tight cowling limiting the amount of air getting to the carb. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Fuel/Air Ratio Problem with DLE 30?

As long as the carb has room to breathe between it and the firewall, I would think that if there's enough air circulating through that cowl to keep the engine cool, the carb would not have any difficulty getting enough air to run properly. That's my take though....
Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if this is your situation. A lot of people think an engine does not need to be tuned, and that the "FACTORY SETTINGS" should work. This is far from true. The factory settings are good only for getting the engine started, (maybe/hopefully), and then you need to tune it from there. Every single engine, and it's prop, fuel, installation, altitude, temperature, etc., etc. etc. is unique and MUST be individually tuned. There is no such thing as a factory setting that will be, in many cases, anywhere near what the engine will actually need for a setting for a given person's application and particular engine.

Now, having said that, there is another problem that can occur. If the engine runs perfectly and is well tuned on the ground, but then goes rich in flight, it could be that the carburetor regulator is sensing a too high pressure due to ram air pressure in a cowled installation. In this case, installing a fitting in the thin metal cover over the regulator in the carb, and running a hose from there to inside the fuselage where there is no ram air pressure should cure the problem.

AV8TOR
Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, another thought. How does it run without the cowl (on the ground/in the air)?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what ahicks suggests first. If you still have problems you might want to look up "Hippy Jim" as he is one of our local Cub experts.

Dan