Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZEnoah G-62

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ZEnoah G-62

Also ensure the brass fuel tubing does not protrude past the back plate internally. It must be flush to allow the diaphragm to work properly.

Glenn
    When all else fails pull the right stick down!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a good chart I use when having issues witha carb.

Typical PROBLEMS POSSIBLE solutions
    The engine stalls when accellerated
    Highend needle way too lean, or lowend needle slightly lean
    Four strokes as fast idle, mid RPM
    Lowend needle too rich, float diaphragm needle lever slightly too high
    Engine goes lean in flight
    Highend needle slightly lean AND lowend needle is rich, float needle lever may be set too low
    Engine goes rich in flight
    this is a special problem with cowled in engines. the float diaphragm cover vent will need work (SEE NOTE 1)
    Engine runs good, but no idle at all
    There's crap in the idle jets, the carb will have to be removed and cleaned. You may also have an air leak at the base of the carb. The throttle butterfly could be damaged or worn out.
    carb leaks fuel when not running
    float needle is bad or has crap stuck in it, or the float lever setting may be too high, or the float diaphragm is bad.
    My engine four cycles momentarily when I back off the throttle, then runs normal
    This is perfectly normal for carbs NOT equipped with a "check valve" highspeed jet. If you do have the check valve, then your float needle setting is slightly too high, or your float needle is leaking a little.(SEE NOTE 2)
    the fuel leaks back into the gas tank when it isn't running
    Bad fuel pump membrane, or an air leak in the fuel line at the carb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got it. Thanks, Dan.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If its an old engine as you said you'll probably have to rebuild the carb on it. The pump diaphragm is probably stiff and brittle, its a common problem with all these gas engines also the reason people throw out their old weed wackers after 5 -6 years cause they wont start easy anymore. An easy fix, cost ya about 20 bucks for a kit you can find online.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chip did you read the first few posts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Glenn. I have done that to other carbs but didn't know it was called "normalizing". However at this time this is "running" (ha ha)completely uncowled so I don't see how that would help, and with the cowl the carb is pretty much out in the breeze. Bud

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bud@Branson

I have an older G-62 I bought on RC Universe. It has the old mechanical style spark advance. I put it on attest stand a it started up and ran pretty good when I first got it. Then I mounted on my giant stinger and it will only fire over momentarily but will not continue to run. It doesn't seem to be drawing fuel into the cylinder. I've tried everything I can think of, New carb kit. new rings on the cylinder, checked the timing at 30 degrees beforeTDC at full throttle 0 degrees at closed throttle. The plug is firing great. No matter where I set the needle valves It won't run more than a few seconds. Can anyone help me?
    to the best of my knowledge , Zenoah never made a throttle coupled spark advance. sounds like a sachs . anyways .. you need to rebuild the carb and make sure the metering needle isn't stuck or sticking. you most likely will find the inside a mess. one trick i do to clean carbs with tar like varnish is to use glow fuel. that's right ,glow fuel with eat that goo quick. also check to make sure someone didn't put the carb gasket on wrong ,blocking the pulse hole
    Contest Director /Turbine pilot/ P-38 Brotherhood/Scratch Builders make their own Destiny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well you are making progress. You adjusted the tang on the float early on. Possibly that is now an issue. When you had the float metering valve out did you clean it? I had a carb where that valve had a lot of build-up on it and it would stick  and cause all sorts of headaches. Again make sure the level is correct.  You are getting there!
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you found dirt on the filter screen you probably found the problem. I would tear the carb back apart and clean with a good spray carb cleaner like Berrymans. Use the straw to shoot through the fuel passages. Wear eye protection this stuff is murder on the eyes. You should get cleaner coming out of all the little ports in the throat of the carb. I have had several carbs that just would not cleanup run. Sometimes you are better off just replacing the whole thing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have rebuilt this carb and used WD 40 to clean. I have it coming out of the 3 little holes in the venture and the brass high speed jet. I took a closer look at Glenn's picture of the secondary screen and concluded that what I see in mine in just the back side of the high speed jet. no secondary screen. I am 76 yrs old and have rebuilt many of these walbro carbs and I can't find anything wrong with this one now. If I change the needle settings more that 1/8 from 1 3/4 open it won't start but just momentarily as before. If I can get it started in a slow idle it will die if I advance the throttle slowly. Maybe one time out of 5 or 10 tries if I jam the throttle open It will run at full throttle. But when I start to pull it back it starts to misfire and dies. I'm beginning to wonder if it is the ignition. While checking the timing I have noticed I get a spark at about 50 or 60 degrees when turning the engine backwards and then when coming back the other way I get the spark at 28 to 30 degrees before TDC. I have a whole box (30 or so) of carbs that a small engine guy gave me when he went out of business but none of the pulse holes match up so I don't have a different carb that I could try on it. I do have a Rexel Ignition in my 3W60 that I could try but can't see how to get the plastic ring that holds this pickup off without destroying it. Thanks, everybody, Bud

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bud send the engine to Antique as known as Ralph Cunningham. I would work on it for you but do not have the time as I am on the road constantly

regards
    Glenn Williams

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To the OP
    My original G-62 I had a vary similar condition when I finaly found the problem it was an air leak in the iso block between the carb and the engine, the leak was between the maine bore of the block and the bleed hole for the case, when looking at it you could not see ware the leak was, the way I found it was to clean the iso blockwith alcohol dry with heat (covering gun) then we sealed one side with rubber and then added acetone into the bleed hole and with a good light we could see the acetone comming thruinto the main bore.

Hope this make sence to you and helps

Cheers Bob T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did what Bob T said but there was no leak. Removed the prop hub and checked out the mechanical advance for the electronic ignition. Everything checks good. the plug fires every time the magnet passes the pickup in all throttle positions. Recleaned the carb thoroughly with carb cleaner and put everything back together. I am right back where I started. It will pop on about the second flip with the choke on, then choke off then 3 0r 4 flips and it will start up for 1 or 2 second. Does anyone know anything about Ralph Cunningham? I haven't found a valid email, phone, or web site for him. How do you post pictures on this forum? I found a new carb for $50 plus shipping, I may have to try that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reaching now, but can you partially choke the engine and keep it running longer than 3 sec?

He is on this board but hasn't logged in latelyhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?memid=587371§ion=profile&forum=1
    He is Antique on FG http://tinyurl.com/lesvus8
    To post pics click on Post Reply at the bottom left of the last post. Scroll down and see "Click Here To Add Imagesand Files" click on that and upload.

Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've tried using half choke but it won't start at all there. when I open the float side of the carb after these efforts there is always fuel in the chamber. all the jets are open. It said file successfully uploaded but I don't see anything. It is pictures of the engine with the prop hub removed to see if anyone recognizes the type of ignition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95579.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1889406  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I up loaded some more pictures of the hub being removed. I wish someone in my club had a G-62 I could borrow a carb from but no. I can't use some other carb because the Pulse port doesn't match and how would I hook up the timing wheel? Here are some more pictures of me with and flying the stinger with the original G-62 which I never should have sold. It had C&H electronic ignition on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv62885.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1889409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57992.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1889410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db84952.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	1889411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98527.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	1889412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51422.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	1889413  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a RC Ignition G62 made by Ralph Cunningham of Williams, AZ
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's why I'm trying to find Ralph. On a thread started by Lightning Fan I see Antique and it says last login 3/21/2012. As I said before, everything I've tried to contact him has been a dead end. Thank you w8ye for identifying the ignition. Is it possible that compression in the engine could keep it from working properly? When the plug is hanging out loose it fires every time the magnet passes the pickup. When I was trying to start it, if I would leave the choke on or even half choke, the engine would flood. When I would pull the plug it would have raw gas in it. If I pulled it after it started (with the choke off) then quit after 2 seconds the plug would be dry. The 2 or 3 times that I did manage to get it running at full throttle, when I started to back the throttle down it would start running rough and suddenly quit running.

Bud -I am not at all sure about what I'm about to write. However, I believe I remember some posts a couple years ago, about the time of my stupid self induced saga, by a couple of the real experts in gas engine issues ... possibly including Antique ... in which they got such a hard time from some of the people on this forum that they essentially concluded it was not worth staying.Another handle that I remember is rcign, which might have been Ralph. Bud, I have to recommend once again to try another ignition unit. It would require that you rewire into a magnet and Hall effect sensor somewhere on the engine, or put a magnet/sensor rig on it somewhere. It seems like you've done most everything else. An rcxel ignition new does not cost that much, and you could probably remove a lot of stuff from that engine if you put it on permanently. I have CH ignitions on mine and they are very clean.
    ... I DO read the instructions ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your spark is too weak to fire the spark plug under compression.

If you cannot get Ralph, try the guy at CH Ignitions. His name is Adrian and he can redo the ignition for you to where it looks the same as now but works.

http://ch-ignitions.com/

Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah the CH ignition pickup bolted onto the brackets that the coil was on if I remember correctly. but those brackets have been removed from my engine. The plastic ring that holds the pickup on my engine is fastened on there in some way that is not easily removed. looks like you would have to cut it off with a hacksaw. then I don't know if there is space enough for the radiator type clamp that holds the sensor such as the rcxel system has. I thought the plastic ring might come off when I removed the prop hub. Does anyone know how to get it off without destroying it. So Brian I guess you're saying you think it is the ignition that is bad. Bud

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Send the whole engine to Adrian at CH
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ralph Cunningham
    1783 Whitehall
    Williams, AZ 86046
    928 220 5721
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I called that number and talked to Ralph so he is alive and well. He said his email with rcuniverse had been messed up but he fixed it last night. It is rcign@yahoo .com. He thinks it is the pulse port and told me to check it by taking off the side with one screw and see if I feel a whoosh when it iis turned over. I'll do that next.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We did go over that a few times and if it's open from inside the engine, through the insulator , through the gasket and into the carb it should work.
    Reaching again , but one last thing to rule out that hasn't been mentioned is the battery. What kind of battery  and voltage are you using and how is it's health?
    Brian Ray

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast