Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZEnoah G-62

Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Bud@Branson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ZEnoah G-62

I checked the port like ralph said and it is pulsing like crazy. I'm using a freshly charged 2000ma 4 cell NiMH battery. I tried a 5 cell and it made no difference.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Talk to Ralph some more. You may have to send it to him. He'll get to the bottom of the problem immediately.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be a non-issue but see if you can find out if that ignition module is OK on 6 volts. Some are not. 
Were you able to check the mechanical advance operation? I think it should be around 4 degrees BTDC  at idle and around 28 degrees at high speed.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Bud@Branson

I sent the pictures to Ralph and he will tell me whether it's his ignition or not. I don.t know about the 6 volt issue but it was not starting before I tried that. I have a degree wheel I got from C&H ignition and it shows 28 to 30 at full throttle and 2 to 4 at idle. I was going by when the plug sparked and it is kind of hard to stop right at the spark. Also I used the formula where you multiply the prop hub diameter by .244 and came out very close. Ralph was pretty busy, he was headed for some kind of flying event so I don't know when he will get back to me. Thank you everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted. Bud
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 PM
w8ye

It'll probably be Monday before you hear from him again?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Bud@Branson

Don't know when.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 PM
w8ye

Ralph has a good reputation of taking care of his engines.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 AM
willig10

Bud:
As I have stated several times before. Send the engine to Ralph. It does not matter wether it is his ignition or not. It does not matter what carb you have or who owned it before. Ralph will make the engine run like a top. Trust me on this.

Also as a side benefit it will give you peace of mind knowing that the engine will come back better than it was.

Ralph is the man on these engines. Also his prices will surprise you in a good way.

My 2 cents

Glenn Williams
Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Bud@Branson

Thanks Glenn, I'm just waiting to hear back on my email to Ralph. He sounded like a great guy over the phone. He was wanting to get off to some event so I'm sure he'll contact me when he gets back. Bud
Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: willig10

Bud:
As I have stated several times before. Send the engine to Ralph. It does not matter wether it is his ignition or not. It does not matter what carb you have or who owned it before. Ralph will make the engine run like a top. Trust me on this.

Also as a side benefit it will give you peace of mind knowing that the engine will come back better than it was.

Ralph is the man on these engines. Also his prices will surprise you in a good way.

My 2 cents

Glenn Williams
+++ 1

Old 06-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Been lurking on this post. I had a similar issue with a used G62 I purchased. It had an older style ignition conversion so before I ever tried to fire it up, I purchased an RCExcel conversion. Once this was bolted on, It would start with no problem but I was having similar issues as yourself. I fiddled with the carb past the point of frustration. Finally purchased a new carb and has been an awesome running engine on the stand so far. The best price I could find for a replacement carb was here: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/it.A/id.909/.f Good luck, I know how frustrating these carbs issues can be.Ted D.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Bud@Branson

Thanks Ted, I mentioned in an earlier post that I had found that Carb. But I think I'll send it to Ralph if he'll take it and see what happens. Bud
Old 06-08-2013, 09:27 PM
w8ye

We've been though this before around here and sometimes Ralph has found something causing the problem that was never brought up in these discussions.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Bud@Branson

Haven't heard from Ralph so I've ordered the new carb, it will cost $56.99 shipped to me. Today I decided to try and start it again. Starting with a wet carb and the throttle closed and the choke closed I flipped it until it fired. Then opened the choke and the throttle trim 1 click I flipped until it fired. Then kept opening the trim one click at a time and flipping until it started at a very low RPM (about 6 clicks open). Then opened the throttle quickly and it went to full RPM... the low needle was at 1 1/2 and the high at 2 turns. I leaned the high needle to get max RPM (about 6700). Ran it there for about 3 minutes, then started backing down the throttle. at about 4 or 5 clicks off of full throttle it would start to die but if I went back full I could catch it. I tried pulling it quickly back to idle but it died and wouldn't start again. The high needle was at 1 1/2 open after tuning. I'll probably have the carb by the first of next week and we'll see what happens then.

BUD
Old 06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
w8ye

So apparently your ignition is OK?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Bud@Branson

I received the new carb today, put it on, and it is just like the other one. It will fire up for a second in idle and will also fire up for a second at full throttle but I could never get it to run in idle or full throttle. I did find how to pull the rotating spark advance off. It comes off with the front seal and there is a spring retainer to keep it on there. The front seal is a lot smaller than the prop hub so I don't see how one of those hose clamp hall sensors would work on there, and the tabs that the original coil bolted to are gone. Ralph hasn't answered my emails so I may try calling him again.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 PM
w8ye

When you get it back from Ralph, he will let you know what was wrong.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bud@Branson

I received the new carb today, put it on, and it is just like the other one. It will fire up for a second in idle and will also fire up for a second at full throttle but I could never get it to run in idle or full throttle. I did find how to pull the rotating spark advance off. It comes off with the front seal and there is a spring retainer to keep it on there. The front seal is a lot smaller than the prop hub so I don't see how one of those hose clamp hall sensors would work on there, and the tabs that the original coil bolted to are gone. Ralph hasn't answered my emails so I may try calling him again.
OK ,first off it is not a RC Ign. It is a C&H The hall sensor is in the fibre glass tube going into the Teflon timing plate. The magnet is in the prop hub.The ign is inside the alum engine mount.This hall sensor will fire the RCEXL ,Ign.Just have to put a Deans plug on the ign or Futaba on the hall sensor that is on the engine now.I probably done this engine many years ago. Sorry I do not do engines any more.Sounds like it may be a ign problem or could be a simple as a hall sensor problem.If you try a RCEXL ign you will have to lock the timing plate at about 28 degrees advance.The RCEXL ignition has electronic retard & advance.Adrian at the new C&H place can build you a ignition with no timing advance.I could probably find one around here but am very slow at getting things done. I do have hall sensors.I try and go flying four days a week.
Good Luck BCCHI Used to be C&H
Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Bud@Branson

Thanks, bcchi, Ralph said it was C&H. I hooked that sensor up to a RCeXL and it worked fine but that one was for the CM 6 plug so I couldn't put it on my G-62. I have a couple of your C&H electronics on McCulloch conversions. Anyway when I finally got ahold of Ralph C. by phone yesterday he said send it to him so I did.