Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZEnoah G-62

Old 06-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Bud@Branson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZEnoah G-62

I have an older G-62 I bought on RC Universe. It has the old mechanical style spark advance. I put it on attest stand a it started up and ran pretty good when I first got it. Then I mounted on my giant stinger and it will only fire over momentarily but will not continue to run. It doesn't seem to be drawing fuel into the cylinder. I've tried everything I can think of, New carb kit. new rings on the cylinder, checked the timing at 30 degrees beforeTDC at full throttle 0 degrees at closed throttle. The plug is firing great. No matter where I set the needle valves It won't run more than a few seconds. Can anyone help me?
Old 06-01-2013, 01:46 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ZEnoah G-62

What has changed?
Engine and carb  is the same, but fuel system is different. Look for the probables in your setup.
Is the carb inner membranes all supple? They should be or carb action goes down the drain with different tank setups.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Bud@Branson

I even went back to the test stand with that fuel tank and still no luck. The spark advance wheel on the carb did come loose and I had to reset it up using a degree wheel. That's how I know it is 0 degrees at closed throttle and 30 degrees before top dead center at full throttle. I don't think it would start up and run for a few seconds if the timing was way off. The carb membranes are all new and fuel is running out of the carb after choking it. But when I turn it over fast with a starter with the plug out I should get fuel coming out of the plug hole (inverted mount) but I don't. It has lots of compression (with the plug in) but doesn't seem to draw fuel into the cylinder.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:33 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the fuel is running out of the carburetor, you may have something wrong with the metering needle or the way you reassembled the carb. The diaphragm assembly should be against the cover with the four screws. The gasket is against the body of the carb, just the opposite of the other side. Remove that cover and make sure the metering needle moves up and down easily. Don’t tighten those four screws too much when you put that cover back on. It will crush the gasket and distort the cover. Dan.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Bud@Branson

No the diaphragm is against the carb body, I will switch it and see what happens. The float arm is just even with the carb body, is that correct? I tried raising it up but that did cause gas to just run out of the carb but it still would not start. The gas only drips out when it is being choked now. Is there any way to check the brass high speed jet? Is that the diaphragm position on all walbro carbs? I have a DLE 30 and that float diaphragm is against the carb body.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

sub
Old 06-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Bud@Branson

Hey Dan, I checked some other smaller carbs I have laying around and sure enough the diaphrams were against the covers so I switched this one but it didn't seem to make much difference. maybe ran 5 seconds instead of 3. I turn it over with the choke on until I see fuel then choke off and flip it and sometimes it will fire up for a few seconds and sometime it won't fire unless I put it on half choke. but it never runs more than 5 seconds. I am stumped.
Bud
Old 06-01-2013, 05:34 PM
All Day Dan

Bud, do have the carb type and number that's on that engine. Maybe someone watching this thread knows. I can find exploded views of the Walbro carbs on the net. It sure would help. Dan.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 PM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the pulse port on the cab, on the gasket and the carb spacer? Are they clean and is everything lining up properly so the hole isn't partially  covered/blocked?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:45 PM
All Day Dan

Good input Brian. According to the Horizon Hobby website, it's a Walbro HDA-48. Here's the exploded view. The metering needle lever arm would normally be in the right place without bending it. If you bent it, try to get back to where it was or replace it. Dan.
http://wem.walbro.com/walbro/product...8-1&Series=HDA
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Bud@Branson

Yes Dan it is the HDA 48c.The metering needle and the lever arm are from the overhaul kit and the lever arm is just like it was. I think there was a thicker gasket in the kit which would give a little more volume to the chamber holding the gas. I'll try that tomorrow. Bud
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Bud@Branson

Oh, and the pulse port is fine. It pumps gas and fill the carb with just a couple of turns of the prop.
Bud
Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Daniel Spurlock
My Feedback: (4)

prop location.I think it has to be at a certain degree before TDC.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 AM
willig10

Bud:
Here are a couple of things to look for.

The phenolic block between the carb and engine. Make sure it is tight and not cracked.
What is your plugs gap? Make sure it is correct
What fuel mix are you running? 32:1 if best and I wont get into what oil to use here.
I know this sounds odd. However if you or you have a buddy that has a DLE55 that is running good. Swap carbs and see if that helps. (Dont ask me how I know) it does work however.

As a last resort I would check to ensure all your fuel lines are tygon tubing and the clunk is in place with a filter. No glow fuel lines for gas.

Regards
Glenn Williams
Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 AM
straitnickel

How long has it been since it was running on the test stand?
Did the gas evaporiate in the carb?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 AM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bud@Branson

Oh, and the pulse port is fine. It pumps gas and fill the carb with just a couple of turns of the prop.
Bud

I understood you to say it pumped gas when it was choked. A partially blocked port will still allow the pump to work when it is assisted by the choke but will not operate with the choke off.
You can also remove the low speed needle and see if it will start , pull fuel and run...poorly but run.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Lightning Fan
My Feedback: (17)

I had some serious G62 issues a while back documented in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10779390

I also got my engines used - I learned to assume nothing was right about the engines unless I checked it.  I think the timing has to be 28 degrees buried in the thread is how I calculated the numbers.  As the very knowledgeable people that were helping me stated ... the G62 is bulletproof and once setup properly will always run.  Everything that was wrong with my engines had to do with the pulse port, which I should have seen early on. 

Good luck with it!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 AM
pe reivers

Same here.
Mistery  issues, until the carb pulse duct was 100% OK.

And Yes: ALL Walbro carbs have the gasket to the body, then the diaphragm, which is fitted with the metal disk to the INSIDE.
Lever height should be about equal height with the surrounding casting.
The carb must hold pressure and not leak fuel when engine is not moving.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Bud@Branson

Thanks to all, especially Lightning fan. that thread was very interesting. I don't suppose Antique would do that for me? I'm going to go check several things but may not have time to run it until tomorrow. When I ran it on the test stand (about 3 weeks ago right after I got it) there was no gasket between the carb and the phenolic block, but I got a gasket with the properly slotted hole and put in there but that was after it would not start on the plane. The carb kit was also put in after it would not start on the plane. Incidentally, I just traded for a 90" P38 and I put OS 91 surpass on it but they will have to have on board glo to keep them running in idle. Weight = 18 lbs. what's yours weigh. I assume you got both G-62s running. Bud
Old 06-02-2013, 12:51 PM
dirtybird

Have you tried a new plug?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Bud@Branson

Well fellows I've tried everything that has been suggested by everyone and it will still run only about 5 seconds before it dies for lack of fuel in the cylinder. I had the low speed needle out to 3 and it sounded richer but still only ran a few seconds. Put a new plug in today. It does start almost every time I flip it after choking but won't continue to run. It does pump fuel and fill up the carb without choking and the fuel does not bleed back into the line when the engine is still. I have the cylinder off now to check for that hole that Antique suggested might be at the end of the carb bolt hole but no. I say it dies for lack of fuel because when I pull the plug after it dies it is dry. I did the calculation for the timing, prop hub 1.5 times .244 = .366 and I measure the distance from fire to TDC at .375 which should be close enough to run. My degree wheel shows it at about 30 degrees. I can't think of anything else but I'll probably have trouble sleeping for thinking about it just like last night. Bud
Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM
pe reivers

The engine may be in need of a bearing/seals rebuilt, if all is OK and right on the cylinder carb side.
Check cylinder gasket. Check crankshaft seal tightness. (soap, water and lung pressure). Loose bearings/seals leakage at first only show up with running engine, but you may be lucky. The previous owner may have forgotten to mention a few things as reason for selling.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM
ron a norman
My Feedback: (14)

I believe that there is something else going on here. In the original post the Op states that the engine has the old style mechanical timing advance.. A Zenoha has no mechanical advance.. i know that C&H made Electronic conversions . But these only replaced the mag coil and the flywheel. No mechanical advance, I'm Betting that this is not a G-62. Post a picture or two. Not claiming to know it all, ive just never seen a G-62 with a mechanical timing system. I'll bet it's in the ignition system.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
kerwin50

yeah it sounds like a sachs
Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 PM
kerwin50

does it have a tillison carb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.