Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

powering my edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 AM
c50fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powering my edge 540

I have a hanger 9 540 edge (1.20) with 78" wing spane. I am trying to decied if a moki 2.10 is to much motor for that plan? If not wich prop would be good? Or would a MDS 1.48 be good?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 AM
kerwin50

Default RE: powering my edge 540

I think the 2.10 would be just right. use a 20/6 prop on it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:17 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Its not too much power but it is a heavy engine. Correct the CG by moving servos and battery towards the rear of the airplane. Save weight wherever possible. This means you may want to consider replacing the main and tail gears and anything else in the kit that lighter components could be found. A CF spinner and Falcon prop either wood or CF would help. An APC prop of that size is around 1/2 pound by its self. Do your best to keep the airplane no more then 11.5 lbs.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 PM
c50fly

Thanks guys for the info. I had put the moki on for mok up with a 20x6 prop and it cleared the ground by 1 inch. wuts a shorter prop. i can use?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:55 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

18X8 would work
Old 06-09-2013, 03:45 PM
c50fly

Thanks ill go get one now. As for the MDS 148, can it be enough ? I'm looking to get a revolver 70#, and it's a tossup on wich motor to use, sense I can't seem to find a sun downer formula 1.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM
c50fly

Hellow, C50fly here in need of yawls expert knowledge. I was checking my assembly of a sullivan ss-24 fuel tank when I notice that when Iturnn the tank faceing down as when the plan would be in a dive, the the fuel line pi k up would not fall to the front of the tank. I had oppted to use a larger fuel line since I'm am useing a mds 148, or a moki 210 on my plane. So I change the line to the one that came with the tank and still the same. Is this a problem or no?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM
alan0899

ORIGINAL: c50fly

Hellow, C50fly here in need of yawls expert knowledge. I was checking my assembly of a sullivan ss-24 fuel tank when I notice that when Iturnn the tank faceing down as when the plan would be in a dive, the the fuel line pi k up would not fall to the front of the tank. I had oppted to use a larger fuel line since I'm am useing a mds 148, or a moki 210 on my plane. So I change the line to the one that came with the tank and still the same. Is this a problem or no?

G'day Mate,
When you are in a dive, the fuel does NOT fall to the front of the tank, so the clunk does not need to fall to the front of the tank.
the only way fuel will move forward is if the plane slows down rapidly, remember the fuel is moving at the same speed as the plane, which is usually faster than gravity would
pull it, so everything stays put, the only way I can think of that the fuel would move forward, is if you had a negitive pitch prop, & used that as a brake, or, the plane
hits the ground, then the sudden stop moves everything forward.
If the clunk line can bend forward, it usually kinks, & stops fuel flow.
How many tanks have you seen, that allow the clunk to swing to the front of the tank?

Cheers

Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 PM
stevehookem
My Feedback: (2)

I have the Aeroworks Edge 540 and I'm waiting on the DA 35. Should be released in two weeks or so....

I had the AW Extra 300 with a DLE 30cc and it flew great. Constant engine issues but the DA will take care of that.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: c50fly

I have a hanger 9 540 edge (1.20) with 78" wing spane. I am trying to decied if a moki 2.10 is to much motor for that plan? If not wich prop would be good? Or would a MDS 1.48 be good?
Why use a glow engine at all? In this displacement, glow engines really use a lot of glow fuel.

A far better choice would be the OS GT33......A 16 oz tank lasts 20 minutes or more. The 33 will turn the same props as the moki at at least the same rpm. Weight should be pretty much the same considering the 3 1/2 ounce CDI module.

Or since you have a clearance problem, go with the 18x10 3 blader from Mezjlik. It's expensive but may be worthwhile. I used the 18x10 3 blader except my set-up is piped and the 18x10 wasn't enough load. I currently run a 20x10.5 apc on the 33 and it's an outstanding combo

I also use avgas since I hate gasoline stench. If you are not considering gasoline because of the stench or storage problem, you might reconsider it except use avgas. No stench or storage issues. Purchase at any muni or regional airport
Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 PM
c50fly

MTK, that's wuts comeing in the neer futur. I am new to wuts called 3D flying. I was into fast sport and pattern type flying. Well about a year ago wonder'd onto a flying field and it brought back the good old days to me. I realy liked a plane this guy was flying called a sundowner formula 1. I set out to get one. He had a moki 210 on it. I had never seen a plane that size move so fast and flew like it was on railes. I'm hooked again,so came the purchase of the moki engine. Sence then I've found to my big disapointment that modle not made any more. How about converting the moki to gas?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

The cooling fins are a little on the small side for the Mokies to run on gas due to the higher heats involved. Plus they don't have needle bearings on the rod ends and you will need to run a higher oil to gas ratio like 20-1, but I have converted a couple from glow to gas and so far they have been fine. But keep in mind a person needs very good baffling to keep the engine cool, also Unless you can do your own work as a rule you would be better off just buying an engine already set up for gas to start with.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:51 AM
stevehookem

Do not mess with trying to convert. It's a constant hassle. Even if it does work, you won't have the reliabilty of just putting on a gas motor. Wait for the DA. It will be worth it.

I had a three week old OS 33. Three tanks and one full flight. Then it wouldn't start again. It had a defective piston liner and ring. I am seeing many posts on different forums with almost EXACTLY the same issue I had. I could have written the posts. They are exact. I cannot recommend the OS. I think they are having some issues and I'm guessing a complete change is coming for that engine.

Again, DA is the way to go for that airplane. Call and get on the list for the 35cc.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stevehookem

Do not mess with trying to convert. It's a constant hassle. Even if it does work, you won't have the reliabilty of just putting on a gas motor. Wait for the DA. It will be worth it.

I had a three week old OS 33. Three tanks and one full flight. Then it wouldn't start again. It had a defective piston liner and ring. I am seeing many posts on different forums with almost EXACTLY the same issue I had. I could have written the posts. They are exact. I cannot recommend the OS. I think they are having some issues and I'm guessing a complete change is coming for that engine.

Again, DA is the way to go for that airplane. Call and get on the list for the 35cc.
Realy? I've scoured the pages for OS issues and saw virtually nothing. Can you send some links?? Did you send yours in for service??

To bring out the rest of the story, mine had 4 good starts when new, then nothing. I sent it back to service and after waiting an aggravatingmonth, (waiting for a part from Japan), I got it back. But since then, it's been absolutely flawless. Great running engine developing tremendous power and low end torque.....It is far and away the best 30cc class engine tested to date. I haven't tested them all but have tested several in the 30-40cc class to make an informed statement......That's what I base my opinions on; actual run time with several current engines

As far as DA is concerned, hardly anybody has even seen this mill and it already is better than anything?? C'mon, get real. Not saying it isn't.... let's see it operate first.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 AM
stevehookem

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: stevehookem

Realy? I've scoured the pages for OS issues and saw virtually nothing. Can you send some links?? Did you send yours in for service??

To bring out the rest of the story, mine had 4 good starts when new, then nothing. I sent it back to service and after waiting an aggravatingmonth, (waiting for a part from Japan), I got it back. But since then, it's been absolutely flawless. Great running engine developing tremendous power and low end torque.....It is far and away the best 30cc class engine tested to date. I haven't tested them all but have tested several in the 30-40cc class to make an informed statement......That's what I base my opinions on; actual run time with several current engines

As far as DA is concerned, hardly anybody has even seen this mill and it already is better than anything?? C'mon, get real. Not saying it isn't.... let's see it operate first.
Read this thread on Flying Giants. Almost exactly the same issue you had and I had on Page 11, others prior as well. http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...=63493&page=11 (the ***** should be F LYING G IANTS. This forum parses other links)

The tech at Hobby Services, Jeff, told me personally by phone that they are having many, many similar problems with the GT33 (his words). The liner is backordered until August. I expect that the date will actually be October. Iasked for a supervisor since my engine was three weeks old and only out of the box for 1 week before complete failure. The supervisor authorized a new engine replacement. I got it and sold it the same day last week. No more for me.

How do I know about DA? I've had 4 others. I don't expect this will be any different. And I've been in contact with them and have spoken with someone actually running it. When they say it out performs every other in the class, I believe it.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:07 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

stevehookem

And just why is a properly converted engine a constant hassle and less reliable than anything else?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 AM
stevehookem

I guess they can be OK but it's been my experience that the engines designed for gas just run better, more reliably and last longer. I've had a couple of conversions over the years and they just gave me more to deal with. It could be that mine weren't "properly converted" as you say. I'd hate to lose a plane just for trying to make something work differently than it was designed.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:54 AM
kerwin50

C50 I would go with an 18/10 or a 19/8 for clearnce