Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

New Gasoline Engine from Norvel (NV Engines)

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Gasoline Engine from Norvel (NV Engines)

Old 11-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Goldenduff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered one! This is my first gasser (phasing out glow). What are folks using for fuel lines, ? Tygon. Also re tank "bungs" are gas conversion kits available as I assume the rubber deal will perish. I do know I will need a felt clunk other than that I'm good? Actually best oil? Money no object as I don't fly that often and oil keeps for a long time?!
thanks
Old 11-21-2014, 03:37 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they make a "gasoline" version of the rubber plug for the fuel tanks. You just swap out the rubber plug for the appropriate one as needed. Fuel lines is Tygon, or Viton or the clear plastic K&S Stayflex tubing. Viton is probably the best. The Stayflex works well, but it will get hard over a long time. Tygon tends to get soft at first and then starts to get hard over a long time period too.

Although one can use black neoprene rubber tubing, the stuff has a tendency to flake off on the inside and the little tiny black particles tend to plug up things. Thus it is not good as it will clog up the jets in the gas carbs. For free flight or control line the black neoprene tubing is fine as it doesn't cause much of a issue with the plain spray bar needles. One only has to open up the needle a little to flush it out. But with RC carbs the needles, spray bars, jets and orifices are too easy to clog up and could be heck to clean out.

For the muffler pressure fitting. It is hot and the tubing can melt from the heat. For Tygon and Stayflex, I use about a 2 inch long piece of silicon tubing for the muffler pressure fitting. I then use a short piece of brass or aluminum tubing to join it to the regular gas tubing. In this case since the silicon tubing is not exposed to raw gasoline for any length of time, it works fine.

Use a fuel filter as well. If some debris gets into the carb all sorts of tuning problems can happen.

Last edited by earlwb; 11-21-2014 at 03:46 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Goldenduff
Just ordered one! This is my first gasser (phasing out glow). What are folks using for fuel lines, ? Tygon. Also re tank "bungs" are gas conversion kits available as I assume the rubber deal will perish. I do know I will need a felt clunk other than that I'm good? Actually best oil? Money no object as I don't fly that often and oil keeps for a long time?!
thanks
Hi Duff,

I see you didn't need the links I posted to you on the NV forum. I'm using Klotz Benol. The best price I found was through Amazon in quart lots. I'm still looking for Viton tubing.

CR

CR
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Goldenduff

Hello Charley, I didn't see the links until too late, besides a wider audience is always appreciated. Hope to get the engine for Christmas and will maybe pester folk for information sometime afterwards if I encounter difficulties. Cheers, merry Christmas and safe landings!