Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Zenoah 62 broken exhaust mount. Help please.

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah 62 broken exhaust mount. Help please.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:44 AM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah 62 broken exhaust mount. Help please.

Zenoah 62 broken exhaust mount: [&o]
While flying I lost the muffler due to cylinder mount failure. Is that typical?
How could I avoid it in the future.
Where can I buy a new one, I believe this engine has an old design cylinder .

Thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 12:10 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah 62 broken exhaust mount. Help please.

Do you need a new cylinder? Dan.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...u-inZENE62A#t4
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM
jcvt

Thanks , but I also like to know why this happened. Is this common:?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes it is common for these to break but it is usualy a result of an impact.
A link to a much cheaper place to get Zenoah parts .

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1162/.f
Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.advantagehobby.com/74848/ZEN336612116/

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1162/.f
Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 PM
jcvt

Thanks

I can notice that it is a little different from what I have , this one is screwed in design. I am not sure that I can explain myself very well. Maybe mine is an old design.

Can I fixed it , can I use a wrap around muffller .

Do I have any other choice than buy a new one?

By the way this is an old new stock engine with 3 gallon on it and no impacts.
I am not happy at all....
Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM
All Day Dan

The cylinder is cast aluminum. The muffler bolts are steel. The screws came loose in flight. The muffler was hanging on. The screws rocked back and forth and broke the casting. Use lock washers in the future. Dan.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM
jcvt

Thanks

Basically what are you telling me is that if the screws came loose in flight it may break the cylinder...It make sense but is also is awesome!!! IT IS A TREMENDOUS HANDICAP. It is a huge flaw design.
That is probably the reason why dle and others have a lighter muflers .

So from what I can understand , using lighter muflers and running a bigger propeller at lower RPM would help to overcome this weakness.

What happens with zenoah reputation that says that this engine could last years?
I was using MA. 20*10 AT 7200 RPM ,and I was using lock washers .

I am kind upset with zenoahs, I may buy a DLE 55 and throw this to the garbage . A new cylinder cost $100 plus a decent mufler over $50 and you have right there over $600 in a 62cc engine... DA´s engines ARE REALLY CHEAP.[&o]
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM
CK1

jcvt ,
You can check with your local machine shops to see if anyone can TIG weld it for you and resurface and rethread the damaged area . If you have to pay the usual hourly rate for machine and welding work it will be cheaper to replace the cylinder . Another possible source is your local community college , most have welding and machine shops and may take on the project for little or no cost .
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jcvt

Thanks

Basically what are you telling me is that if the screws came loose in flight it may break the cylinder...It make sense but is also is awesome!!! IT IS A TREMENDOUS HANDICAP. It is a huge flaw design.
That is probably the reason why dle and others have a lighter muflers .

So from what I can understand , using lighter muflers and running a bigger propeller at lower RPM would help to overcome this weakness.

What happens with zenoah reputation that says that this engine could last years?
I was using MA. 20*10 AT 7200 RPM ,and I was using lock washers .

I am kind upset with zenoahs, I may buy a DLE 55 and throw this to the garbage . A new cylinder cost $100 plus a decent mufler over $50 and you have right there over $600 in a 62cc engine... DA´s engines ARE REALLY CHEAP.[&o]
Yeah and we all know that DLE engines are problem free. Countless threads with various issues. You said the engine has three gallons through it. Did you ever check the muffler bolts to see if they loosened up at all during them three gallons?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:00 PM
jcvt

Thanks for your empathy.

Yes I did ,I checked the muffler bolts several times. Aparently not very well..

Since according to others fellows it is a common problem.[&o]
Please do to others newcomer a favor and say the following¨_: If you buy a zenoah 62, you may want to buy a real mufflers because this engine has a very poor design.
The cylinder is cast aluminum. The muffler , and muflers bolts are steel. If the screws came loose in flight it MAY break the cylinder and ruin the engine. Other than that it is a great engine. Is that fair?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:56 PM
w8ye

The Zenoah G62 has been around in model circles maybe some 25 years with that same design cylinder.

Some people have trouble with them and others do not.

I have one myself
Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 PM
All Day Dan

"The cylinder is cast aluminum. The muffler , and muflers bolts are steel. If the screws came loose in flight it MAY break the cylinder and ruin the engine. Other than that it is a great engine. Is that fair? "

jc, maybe not fair but all the engines are like that. That's why it's important to check your muffler screws before you start flying each day or when you get home after a day of flying. By the way, most, if not all, the engines use metric hardware. Make sure you are using a metric screw. Dan.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 PM
jcvt

Well What can I said, ...

w8ye , _:
" 25 years with that same design cylinder......¨ Is that mean is good? My wife use to be gorgeous 25 years ago. LOL.

Zenoahs , should take a look to Six Sigma ¨

"Now there's a new reality: Competition for consumer attention is intense across all industries and markets, so now it's the company itself which is being admonished to beware. That means businesses should be looking for the best way to gauge what its customers really need and want"

These are the things I want for what I paid :

1) I want a lighter muffler with a redesing of the exhaust mount.
2) I do not want to play with the carburator , I want a straight conection .
I willing to pay 10% more for what I want.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM
All Day Dan

See if these guys have a muffler you could use. Dan.
http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/index.html
Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 AM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: jcvt

Thanks for your empathy.

Yes I did ,I checked the muffler bolts several times. Aparently not very well..

Since according to others fellows it is a common problem.[&o]
Please do to others newcomer a favor and say the following¨_: If you buy a zenoah 62, you may want to buy a real mufflers because this engine has a very poor design.
The cylinder is cast aluminum. The muffler , and muflers bolts are steel. If the screws came loose in flight it MAY break the cylinder and ruin the engine. Other than that it is a great engine. Is that fair?

As you stated, "Apparently not very well.."
You want some cheese with that whine?
I get tired of people coming on here and, if they have a problem, they take out the big paint brush and condemn the entire product line for their misfortune....
Yes, I have a Zenoah G62 and and have nothing but great performance and longevity from it.
I better stop now...
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 AM
earlwb

Well I think there was likely a small flaw in the cylinder casting where the muffler bolts on and it finally just broke after a while. Maybe a tiny crack like defect or a small void in the metal right there. Some closeup pics of the place where the mount broke off would be nice as we might be able to see it there.

But since Zenoah G62 engines have been around for decades now, and this type of failure doesn't happen often like that, it can't be a design flaw or everyone would have had problems like that. The OP is the first one I heard about having the muffler mount break off like that. Except for crashes of course.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
jcvt

I have been using their agriculture counterparts for year w/o much problems and if this is an isolated case,WELL... it happens....[&o]But some the guys stated in this and others forums that it was a comun defect and It may happens if the bolts screws came loose in flight. If this is the case Zenoahs should take a closer looks to this problem.
I read in others forums that some guys are using DLE mufflers with great result I may try it. That is a bad sign for Zenoah don´t you think?

AB Bob : Dyscovey channel is a lot of fun too.....
Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM
thepamster

Mufflers can come loose for a variety of reasons. It is not a Zenoah problem but a user one. Improper mounting of muffler, no loctite, or wrong loctite, using gaskets, wrap around mufflers with no backside support., non balanced propellors, etc. I have a couple of Zenoahs that are over 20 years old and so are their mufflers as well as their bolts. I think a DLE muffler will biodegrade before it gets 20 years old. Lol.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM
jcvt

" DLE muffler will biodegrade before it gets 20 years old" at least they are good for the environment....

I would like to respectfully disagree with you. It is in fact it is a zenoah problem. If a catastrophic problem could occur because the bolts screws came loose in flight, zenoahs should warns the costumer about it, furthermore they should come with a designs that minimize it or prevent it to happens.

I can speak with some authority about it because I have been in manufacturing business for over 20 years and I can tell you, costumers should come first. In my opinion Zenoah have neglected this branch of business which have been working good for others companies.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM
CK1

jcvt , I understand your concern and frustration over your broken engine . However if you are trying to disuade any of us from buying or using Zenoah engines I think you are wasting your time . You have made your claims, now either man up and accept the fact that stuff happens or move on. You are not improving your position by continually putting down an engine that some of us have used for 20 or more years . You can't tell us anything we dont already know about a G62 . I am starting to think that you are a shill for an engine manufacturer who thinks that by trashing the competition you will improve your position in the market. Just my opinion......
Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 PM
jcvt

I respect your opinion, but you were the one that said "Yes it is common for these to break but it is usualy a result of an impact." .others said "Some people have trouble with them and others do not."

What I said is _: if this is comun as YOU AND OTHERS SAID , Zenoah should do some thing about it. If your guys are wrong and this is again an isolated case there is not problem. Case is closed..

I did not like the rest of you comment , I think is undeserved, but usually people treat others people the way they look itself.

And because you stated that "it is common for these to break" and also that you said " have successfully used this engine for 20 or more years " Why don´t you make a list and teach newcomers how to prevent it to happens.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 PM
CK1

OK , Clear and plain for you to understand what I said . It is a common failure to have if you have crashed , dropped the engine , or somehow impacted the mounting boss or the muffler . It is also common if the bolts were loose or too long ,either allowing movement of the muffler or excessive outward pressure on the mounting boss.
It also common to have this concern on any of the engines we fly that are exposed to the same list of causes.
Just because it is common it does not mean it is a defect or flaw or neglect on the part of the manufacturer.
The bottom line is that you asked for help and have been advised as to how to repair the engine and yet you persist in pointing a finger at the manufacturer for a problem that is commonly caused by owner neglect , abuse , or damage. As far as teaching newcomers how to prevent this from happening . There are no crash proof planes or engines . If there were such plane and engines ,people would argue over the cost of them and complain because they weigh too much. Some people are just beyond advising and or help.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
w8ye

It has been 25 years or so and I don't think that the cylinder design is going to be changed if it has not been by now?

Learn to live with it or go to another brand. After all, that is why different brands are successful in the market.

Zenoa/Redmax was bought by the Husqvarna company some years ago. My G62 has a newer Husqvarna cylinder but it is not made any different and still has the slots for muffler retention. Some Stihl chainsaw engines also have slots for muffler retention. On the old chainsaws, the screws often break but the tabs for the screw heads rarely do.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 PM
jcvt

CK1 ,:

Apparently you and me came from different schools. From where I came all the products or services provided should meet or exceed customer expectations.

When I said that Zenoah have neglected this branch of business which have been working good for others companies,what I mean is exactly what I said. The RC branch is a very small porcentage of this company operation and that is why we had to wait over 25 years to have an electronic ignition engines.
In my opinion , Zenoah have subestimated others brands and now they are fighting back to regain position. I bet you, we will see changes in the mufflers very soon.

You know how it is , some people are just beyond advising and or help or keeping and smart and educated discussion without insulting others...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.