Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Best gas can?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best gas can?

How makes the best gas can with a hand pump attached? I'm not looking for a large one at all, just a gallon or so. I thought I saw a nice one by Sullivan a while back but can't find it now. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Scota4570

Default RE: Best gas can?

I made mine using an old steel 1-gallon gasoline can. I soldered the fittings to the cap. The crank type pumps work fine. The Dubro one has worked well. I put a felt clunk on the pick up in the gas can. I contemplated an electric one but is was gettiing expensive. I have also used an outboard motor gas can. The primer pump moves the gas. I did not care for that because I can not drain the tanks that way. I tend to drain the tanks so they don't leak gasoline in the car. I agree with the one gallon can. I don't burn a huge amount of gas and like to keep it fresh. The fuel can is real nice for weed wackers and chainsaws too. You can use any steel one gallon solvent can. I do not like the plastic gas cans because of the difficulty of making leak proof connections. Also, they come the ridiculious lawer deisgned pour spouts.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGS5
Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

hobby king sells a electric pump for about 10-12 bucks that's made for gas and u can use a battery that is on its last leg to power the pump.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...as_Models.html

i have one of these[8D]
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM
drube

I've been looking to get one also. I found these but I have never dealt with Chief Aircraft Inc.

www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-control/field-equipment/fuel-cans.html

Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks for the replies guys. I appologize for starting a thread that I now realize has been discussed a while back. Hopefull it will revive interest and help someone besides me out. Scot..., when you drain your tanks does your clunk line get stiff or are you using polyurethane type tubing? Drube, thanks for the link to the Jersey Modeler type jug. Looks good. For $15 more I am looking at the Slimline M4 setup. It has machined alum. cap and fittings that I think will fit std. Lowes gas containers also.

Anyone have a link to .020 stainless wire for securing onto the fittings?

Thanks to all -
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just use those 1 gallon fuel containers and a hand crank pump with a adapter for the fuel lines and stuff. I never thought that anyone would be interested in pics of them though. They are quite easy to make. I use small Zip ties to clamp the fuel lines to the fittings and stuff.

here is one of mine shown peeking out from the side of this plane pic

Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Ernie Misner

Kind of hard to make it out Earl. Is that a metal or plastic 1 gal. container? Hey, what happens if you put gasoline into a glow, plastic (nylon?) fuel container? I realize you would have to replace the tubing for gasoline......
Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a plastic one gallon container that I got at Home Depot. I used some Goop adhesive to glue the hand crank pump to the side. I also used one of these fancy CNC machined and anodized refueling caps too. http://www.espritmodel.com/fuel-jerr...ttings-v2.aspx
I made a couple of gaskets for the cap and it worked fine for me. I mainly bought the fancy cap to see how it was made so I could make more for myself in the future. They don't quite fit the new 1 gallon containers as the containers don't include the rubber gasket on the filler nozzle anymore. They also sell a nicely machined metal pump system for a one gallon fuel tank but it seemed a bit of overkill to me though, but with a large plane and big fuel tanks it might be worth it though.

There are several other filler cap adapters out there too. Hobby King sells some as do some others. But since different fuel container makers use different cap threads, it is hard to say as to whether they would fit or not.

On a couple of other 1 gallon fuel containers I used a riding lawn mower gas cap and I used the Dubro fittings to adapt it for model airplane use. I used hand crank pumps on them too.

All of the tubing is Tygon, and I used zip ties to ensure the tubing doesn't come off the fittings etc. Tygon gets more soft and flexible when immersed in gasoline.

I don't know if the glow fuel containers are rated for gasoline or not. But the glow fuel containers are quite fragile though. They can start leaking out of the bottom easily. I remember seeing fuel and oil on the shelves at the hobby shop where glow fuel containers were leaking out. I have had glow fuel jugs start leaking on me at home too. So I would not use a glow fuel container for gasoline.use only a fuel container rated for gasoline. when you look at the plastic gasoline containers they are constructed differently too.

I will take some pics of my fuel containers later.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Been using a plain ol plastic glow fuel gal jug for 2cycle mix with no problems, I am however going to set up a new system with a legit gasoline jug because of the safety police at the club field I just joined frowned at my jug.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

I've got a couple of the Jersey modeler gas systems. Last one I got, I had them use Vitron tubing for everything. I'm sure you can do it cheaper.

http://www.jerseymodeler.com/id26.html
Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Ernie Misner

Great info guys. Earl, that machined cap from espiritmodel is great. I have been wondering if anyone made one of those.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself 2 gallon fuel can, Complete with fuel line, Clunk filter, sealed cap and mounting plate for electric or hand pump .

$49.95

http://www.rcextremepower.net/fuelpumpsystem.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39841.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1902945