Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

AGM30 Gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:35 AM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run DLA mufflers on the 30 cc engines i fly, adds a couple rpm to them and much better looking too.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM
nitrometan

After 2,5 L 25:1 mixture with Castrol 2stroke mineral oil I switched to 33:1 mixture with Motul 800 Double ester Road Racing 2 stroke oil and 95 okt gasoline.No big improvement,after 1,5 liter mixture the RPM are almost the same,I mean about 60-80 RPM more then first Fuel.No carb adjustment needed,Timing still at 24-25 degrees(measured with RCEXL special toy )/More timing showed nothing else as more vibration with the propellers I used and I planned to fly with.With other propellers and other RPM,the timing must maybe adjusted accordingly.The engine starts after first priming at first or second flip,cold or warm.It has a very short gurgle and vibration at about 4500 rpm,which cannot be the ignition or plug because they run absolutely perfect on my XYZ 26cc engine.I also put another carb on the engine and it makes the same problem at the same RPM.I think it is a counterbalance problem of the crankshaft with the used propellers,which propellers have the same weight.I heard from other users of 30cc engines wich are more or less clones of DLE30 that the same problem occours.For instance my SM 30(ukrainean made motor 15 years old 30cc and more power as AGM 30) has a complete crankshaft with 2 counterweight and it does not gurgle or vibrate of any kind.I am curious to see what has to say the person from AGM which I know is active on this forum about this issue.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM

AGM prop hub and prop shafts are known to have a lot of run out,and or crankshafts not running true.
go to" flying giants" rc-site and watch the video the guy uses a dial indicator to check engine run out. very poor quality engine,but that's why its cheap to buy.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:08 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read through this thread you would have seen that same video posted on page #8 along with the posters comments. Seems like the guy may have got a bad engine(like that never happened with other manufacturers) . He never did a video dissecting a DLE in the same fashion so I take it with a grain of salt. Seems like the manufacturer stands behind this engine and is making improvements.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:41 AM

I didn't see the video in this thread.when I saw the video on the FG I wanted to let the buyers on this site to see it,so they can make up there own minds what they want.and the guy just may have gotten a second bad engine and it does happen to the best of engine manufactures.it just seems that the manufacture of this engine has had the same problem with shaking engines.just like he did when he was doing the MT57 line of engines like I had for a very short time.
in the video the guy does say that he did take apart a DLE and it was all with in specs.
I too like to save money in this hobby when I can.i do buy and use china engines,DLE and EME and have been happy with them.
it's just funny to me what guy's are willing to take a chance on to save a buck.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:18 PM
RJConnet

I bought my AGM 30 about 2 months ago and today is the first day it was warm enough to go out in the garage and set it up on the bench. I did use the plug that came with but I used an older 4.8 volt RCexcl Ignition module Which I like because it works fine with a single LiPo cell. I disabled the auto choke off system and used the bell cranks that came with the engine. I quickly found that the carb would not draw fuel as I expected, so pulled the carb off, lifted the pump cover and liberally soaked the pump diaphram with fuel and put things back together. Closed the choke, opened the throttle, about ten flips filled the fuel line and the engine popped. Opened the choke, close the throttle (slightly open) and about three more flips the engine was running. This is the same drill I use on my Brilleli 46 and my RCGF 45 and it worked perfectly on the AGM 30. Ran it for about 35 Min. with several stops for cooling. I figure I'll go for an hour on the bench before putting it on a plane. Did not touch the needles, ran at 4000 rpm with an occasional break to 4-cycle. I figured that was close enough for a little break-in. Tweak the needles when I get it in a plane.
For $179 I am happy for now.......RJ
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

"I too like to save money in this hobby when I can.i do buy and use china engines,DLE and EME and have been happy with them.
it's just funny to me what guy's are willing to take a chance on to save a buck."

This is the same thing DL/DLE buyers heard from Club DA die-hards when they come out. Short memories tend to overlook the issues these motors first had (just search 'DLE mod' to see what I am talking about). Will AGM fix their issues? Hard to say, and I'm not their champion, but just think where the DLE fans of today would have been if there wasn't a band of folks willing to break from the mold to find a gasser for less then the price of a moped. As for me, I typically search for reviews of new-to-market stuff before I buy, but this time, if you search back, you will see I decided to offer some input to the rc community when these motors first came out; not sit back and shake fingers at those "dummy cheapskates," like those who worked through the issues with the DLE's for example, which brought about changes in which a lot of people benefited from .

For the question of "would I buy another one?", that all depends on how AGM addresses the issues they are having (some evidence this might happen with their 'V2' head). You can bet, however, if they do the price will follow, just like DLE. As for now, the one I have lives in a warbird that I fly every other month or so (and like its stolen), so I don't really need a $600 rotary-
tip-shovel on this bird. I can save that dough for something else, maybe another DLE.

(Ok, done with my soap box now,....please continue with what you were doing...
)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 PM
erna

it probably would help if the AGM30 engines were run before they were shipped to make sure everything was set up right
Old 03-24-2014, 05:46 PM
raubold

Originally Posted by erna
it probably would help if the AGM30 engines were run before they were shipped to make sure everything was set up right
Mine was run, so was the one from another feller here who purchased one, you can tell by looking at the piston ring and the gasoline odor from Carb and chamber if you turn it over without the Plug
Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 PM
kerwin50

Any more news on the AGM's
Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
j301

I bought a 30cc size Super Chipmunk to finally get mine in the air. What I found was that first, it indeed ran great. Good power, good transition, no deadsticks. Thought I had a keeper. But what I also noticed was that after each of the four flights, I had to tighten EVERY bolt on or near the motor. This is normal a couple of times on something new, but it was becoming a concern. So I pulled the motor and put it in a vice, put my gauge on it and found that the run out was at 13k, just like the video from the other site. I didn't even bother with checking the faces, just pulled the motor and replaced it with my Webra Bully 35cc I was saving for a round cowl war bird. This motor might work on a heavy warbird or other scale model thats built "thick" but any kind of sport plane will just get rattled to pieces. I doubt I will ever use mine. Hey, anyone want a 30cc cheap?!?
Old 06-26-2014, 04:41 PM
flyinwalenda

I thought they were supposed to release a version 2 engine that corrected some earlier issues.....did that ever happen ?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 PM
raubold

how much ? mine works, i'll tackel that one
let me know
Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 PM
AGMUSA
My Feedback: (1)

Hi J301 , you can send the issue engine back , we can replace it and send you new one . this is what we do for our customer
AGM-ENGINE
Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM
j301

Originally Posted by AGMUSA
Hi J301 , you can send the issue engine back , we can replace it and send you new one . this is what we do for our customer
AGM-ENGINE
I would be willing to give that a try. Can you pm me the particulars and return address?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

Well, mine won't run at all. It'll burp when choked but that's it. Seems like it isn't drawing fuel.
I do have an early version and I did take off the auto choke and reverse the choke shaft for my set up.
Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:27 PM
j301

Originally Posted by catboater
Well, mine won't run at all. It'll burp when choked but that's it. Seems like it isn't drawing fuel.
I do have an early version and I did take off the auto choke and reverse the choke shaft for my set up.
Any ideas?
Check to make sure it has the reed valves installed. Mine was missing them and did the same thing.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:30 PM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

I'm going to send it back and see what kind of customer service I'll get. Sounds like they're doing a good job with it so far.
This is the first brand new engine I've ever had that I can't make work at all. Very disappointing!

Last edited by catboater; 07-12-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:38 AM
Flyguyrc
My Feedback: (45)

So, i am here reading through the threads. any one that has had an issue with there AGM engine has the opportunity to sent it inn for warranty work. We take pride in this engine. that is why we do have the leasing program. we have to warranty centers. florida and washington. also when installing your engine to the firewall use lock tight
Old 07-21-2014, 08:21 AM
skywardone

Hey Guys, my Name is Jeff with Skyward Hobbies in Napavine Wa. We are the warehouse / Warrany center for AGM engines in the U.S. If you are having any issues with your AGM engines feel free to contact us and we will do all we can to help you out.
J301 your new engine is on its way to you if you have not received it already
Catboater, I sent you a PM with a few things to check and to try. if you cant get it going send it down to me and we will take care of it, were pretty close to you.

Jeff
Skyward Hobbies
Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM
j301

Originally Posted by skywardone
Hey Guys, my Name is Jeff with Skyward Hobbies in Napavine Wa. We are the warehouse / Warrany center for AGM engines in the U.S. If you are having any issues with your AGM engines feel free to contact us and we will do all we can to help you out.
J301 your new engine is on its way to you if you have not received it already
Catboater, I sent you a PM with a few things to check and to try. if you cant get it going send it down to me and we will take care of it, were pretty close to you.

Jeff
Skyward Hobbies
Thanks Jeff, it did come in today.

So here is the unbiased truth to what I found on the new motor:
1) Runout at the farthest end of the shaft was just under 4 thousands.
2) Runout on prop adapter front (closest to prop) about 1 thousands.
3) Runout at rear or prop adapter less then 1k, almost nill.
4) Measuring on prop adapter face at outer most edge, less then 1k

For some die-hard's , this might seem a tad high, to me given the price of the motor, plus the customer service, I think its fine (if I recall, 3 to 5k was about the norm for early gassers). This unit should have much less vibration then the previous bottom end. I haven't run it yet but don't expect any issues

A final note on customer service, for the most part, I have had nothing but positive experience with this motor when it comes to them handling issues. Yes there were issues, but nothing insurmountable, and so far only has taken patience and $10 in shipping. This last round I didn't even initiate, Ping contacted me! Sure you can demand more, but then you can always get a DLE for at least a bill more, or spend two to three times as much for a DA or OS.

Would I scratch build top-of-the-line competition planes or buy $5000 uber-fiber pattern ships and use these? Likely not, but when I drive an average Chinese arf into the ground, I would much rather dig up pieces of a motor in this price range! If their customer service was anything less, I wouldn't buy another, but if i need something for Sunday flying in the future, I wouldn't find AGM a gamble. Hopefully they can continue this type of customer service into the future.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:26 PM
flyinwalenda

This is good to hear. !
Old 09-08-2014, 07:03 PM
gregandhollie

Summer's almost over, did anybody get a bunch of flying done with one of these this season? I have mine mounted up but didn't get the plane done in time to fly it this year. I still haven't seen any reports after getting a bunch of time on one and this thread has been pretty quiet.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:15 PM
flyinwalenda

Someone in one of the clubs I am in just got one and is currently breaking it in and will be flying it soon. So far he says what others have said in that it was easy to start , feels strong and sounds good. I will try and report back how it is performing in the air
Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 PM
jerryj39
My Feedback: (30)

I have two of them, one on a MXS-R and the 2nd on a giant big stick. Both run great just like a DLE. No vibration problems with mine and lots of flying time with them. Be sure to balance your props including the hub. I am using 18X8 and 19X8 props. Different brands vary but I prop them to turn 7500 to 8000 but fly 1/2 to 3/4 throttle most of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.