Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

AGM30 Gas engine

Old 10-03-2014, 02:09 PM
geebeenut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregandhollie
Summer's almost over, did anybody get a bunch of flying done with one of these this season? I have mine mounted up but didn't get the plane done in time to fly it this year. I still haven't seen any reports after getting a bunch of time on one and this thread has been pretty quiet.
Been flying all summer almost every Sunday I have some where between ten to twelve gals of gas burned also this engine has been fitted with a eme starter and they have been trouble free the whole summer
Old 10-04-2014, 01:57 PM
simonslim

Got quite a few flights in on my 14lb, P47 Thunderbolt with one of these wee sweeties up front, easy starting, excellent throttle response and great value for money.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:12 PM
painlesstom

I bought an AGM 30cc off Ebay for a Giant Big Stik I am building. Motor looks as good a quality as the DLE 35ra I already have. I watched the runout video that has been widely discussed, and immediately checked mine. Runout at the tip of the prop shaft was .001, and .0005 at the face. It would seem I got one of the good ones. I like the auto off choke design, got used to it on a Mintor 38 I flew till it blew up and loved it. (Mintor motors are junk....) Hope to maiden it next weekend, will share the maiden flight video.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 PM
jerryj39
My Feedback: (30)

I also have one a giant big stik as well as a msx-r. Both of them run great. I y'ed the ailerons and flaps together on the stik so they both act as ailerons and flaparons. Easy to fly and capable of some aerobatics. I had to add about 8 oz to the nose to balance it. I changed the auto chokes to manual but I guess it would be ok with a exposed engine.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

sign me up.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM
barnowljenx

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I got an AGM 30 and the "tuned pipe canister" just before Christmas, It's installed in a Weston Capiche 140 which weighed in at 6.5 Kgs with a 180 glow 4 stroke. The vertical performance with the glow was an issue so I decided to give the AGM30 a go to see if I could get cheaper fuel costs and better performance. I chose to run the engine in on the ground - it's in the airframe though. I found it very easy to start with an electric starter and it ran rich straight away. I've gradually leaned the mixture but it's still a tad rich. Flew it for the first time yesterday and, with an APC 18x8 prop, recorded 9,000 rpm at WOT with a huge amount of pull. The Capiche weight has risen to 6.6 Kgs as although the AGM30 is slightly lighter than the 180 glow 4 stroke, by the time to add ignition and ignition battery it's 100 gms heavier. Still, it pulled the Capiche vertically upwards for as long as I kept it pointing at the sky! I was amazed at the performance. As the manufacturer quotes max power at 8,500 rpm, I'm going to change to an APC 18x10 for the next flight and squeeze the main needle closed a bit more and see what that does for performance.

So far, so good, and I'm just amazed, as are my clubmates, at the transformation in the Capiche's performance.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:01 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

good job barnow.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

APC to heavy, XOAR or VESS mucho better too
Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 PM
barnowljenx

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Raubold, that's interesting. Just realised I should have said Graupner G Sonic prop not APC! I tried an 18x10 G Sonic after closing the needle valve by 1/8 turn but the revs only reached 8,000 and the performance wasn't as good as the 18x8. I've just sent for a Menz 17x10 to see what that does for performance. I don't think the G Sonic is as heavy as the APC but I'll post on how I get on with the Menz. Of course, the engine will probably loosen up some more as I've only just passed 3 hrs of running.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:51 PM
gregandhollie

I'm finally getting my P-40 finished up that I bought this engine for and found I have no spark. I'm running a lipo through a switch, 5v/5a UBEC just like my other gas engine and then to the ignition module. No voltmeter at home today but the UBEC is warming slightly which tells me it's working. On my RCG engine I get one spark each time I flip the power switch for ignition. Is that the case with these engines too?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:41 AM
john.j.allen

I have my AGM30 installed in my Peak MXS-R, and I don't need a tool to check the run-out on the prop shaft, its so bad I can see it by simply turning the prop over. That said the prop seems to be perfectly aligned at the tips, its not off center, and the tips are not out of alignment front to back, this puzzles me, as I can't see how the shaft can be so far out, and the prop seems perfect.

Now do I get a nice DLE30, or DLE35RA?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 AM
john.j.allen

Looks like the prop shaft was forced onto the crankshaft at an angle., so right at the hub the prop is ok, but its very visible at the tip of the shaft, and stick a bolt in it, and its exceedingly obvious.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:13 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking that the center hole was probably straight in the prop hub, and the face of the hub was perpendicular too. But the outer part was machined off. Thus it looks like it wobbles a little then.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:20 AM
john.j.allen

Shaft was bent (made that way), new shaft installed, all is good
Old 04-16-2015, 03:30 AM
coralcape
My Feedback: (4)

I ordered a crankcase for a dle 30 from AGM. Got to me in 4 days at almost half Tower price. There info shows dle 30 and agm 30 the same. red
Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 AM
john.j.allen

My AGM30 appears to sport less of the signs of a fake DLE30 than my DLE30. They both have the exact same carb, but the DLE30 has the "tell tale" signs in the cylinder casting indicating its a fake.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Valius

Mine AGM 30 doesn't start after the unfortunate landing on my plane with out one wheel...forgot to off the engine ignition , before touching the ground....)-:
Visual looses are: broken woden prop and the spark cap was dismantled only. Try to start the engine, but after a few flips it's only pops...
The spark is O.K. May be some more serious problems than the carb tune???
My Dynaflite Superdecathlon was full of power with this one and only a few dead sticks it had at all last year season.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:56 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Valius
Mine AGM 30 doesn't start after the unfortunate landing on my plane with out one wheel...forgot to off the engine ignition , before touching the ground....)-:
Visual looses are: broken woden prop and the spark cap was dismantled only. Try to start the engine, but after a few flips it's only pops...
The spark is O.K. May be some more serious problems than the carb tune???
My Dynaflite Superdecathlon was full of power with this one and only a few dead sticks it had at all last year season.
If the plug cap was hit then I would check that very closely or replace it . I would also suspect a broken plug and would replace that as well. A broken cap or plug can still look/test OK outside the engine but when installed can act differently.
Next check the pick-up sensor and then check the timing.
Also check for dirt in the carb and broken fuel lines if it plowed into the ground ad the tank lines and filter clunk.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:36 AM
Valius

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
If the plug cap was hit then I would check that very closely or replace it . I would also suspect a broken plug and would replace that as well. A broken cap or plug can still look/test OK outside the engine but when installed can act differently.
Next check the pick-up sensor and then check the timing.
Also check for dirt in the carb and broken fuel lines if it plowed into the ground ad the tank lines and filter clunk.
Thank you, Flyinwalenda! You were right: the plug cap's silicon coupler is cracked...
Today, just check the engine conected to another ignition and it works!(-:
Old 04-17-2015, 02:24 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be able to fix it using a new Rcexl cap kit.
http://www.rcexl.com/news/Accessories/14.html
Old 04-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Valius

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
You may be able to fix it using a new Rcexl cap kit.
http://www.rcexl.com/news/Accessories/14.html
Thanks Brian, it is done already.

Valerijus Kaniusas
Old 04-24-2015, 01:32 PM
flyierjon

can anyone of you post pics of how you set up your throttle linkage and choke for this engine as I just received my new agm30 in the mail yesterday and going to be installing it on a 71" Cap 232 here very shortly!! im getting excited and ordered some xoar 18-10 props. also... do you guys remove the spring thats on the throttle/choke too or no... im thinking that spring would be alot of strain on the servo....
thanks for your help!!!
Jon
Old 04-24-2015, 04:23 PM
jerryj39
My Feedback: (30)

18x10 is a bit much, 18x8 works well. Unhook the throttle spring but leave it on the shaft. You can buy replacement throttle arms or just make one from a front wheel steering arm. I removed the auto choke and replaced it with a manual choke with a rod sticking out the front hole of the cowl.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:41 PM
flyierjon

thanks jerry!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:24 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

agree with Jerry on propp, but disagree on spring, servos are strong enough to pull throttle without big current draw, in case the arm vibrates lose or off, the throttle goes to stop and not banans in case of arm failure. Yes there should be a kill option, but case scenario you taxi in the pits, throttle runs away on you, you don't have too much time to respond and kill the ignition ,
jmo
Michael

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.