Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

AGM30 Gas engine

Old 04-25-2015, 01:00 PM
flyierjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what servo are you using for the throttle if you leave the spring connected? something with metal gears i assume?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Leave the spring in place. Tests have shown it takes very little more than idle current for the servo to hold against the spring. Metal gears probably a good idea but not 100% necessary if a good quality servo is used. In general, I'd recommend the same type of servo you are using on the control surfaces .... the throttle is as important as any function on the airplane. Just be sure you don't stall the throttle servo linkage against the stops on the carburetor or you can damage the servo.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:57 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyierjon
what servo are you using for the throttle if you leave the spring connected? something with metal gears i assume?
As stated you don't need a metal gear servo, or a fast digital servo unless you are planning to do 3D. An amp meter is a good tool to have to set-up servo linkages so you are not over driving the servo. http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProductD...&storeId=10151
Old 04-26-2015, 09:05 AM
flyierjon

thanks guys!!! that really helps!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:34 AM
Valius

The last problem, I still not solve properly is: the pitts style muffler bolts loosening, time after time. Somebody brings me into the right way? Just note that: the spring washers are pressed, and do not look as been before, I mean they do not look as a spring...By the way, bought new ones from the Stainless steel, may they help? What if I do locktighten them ( feel too much stress them:-))?

Last edited by Valius; 04-28-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:55 PM
skypuppy1

hello hoe do i put on the two arms that came with my new agm60 thank you.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:07 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

red high temp silicone or Ultra Copper on flanges (very little is a lot), no Gasket, tad blue Loctite on muffler bolt treads, and your good to go
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM
flyinwalenda

After the engine has been run and is hot ,tighten the muffler bolts again and they should stay tight.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 PM
jerryj39
My Feedback: (30)

I had the same problem. The tubes in the muffler that the bolts tighten down on are to soft, they get barrel shaped and you can see the side of the muffler caving in. Had to tighten bolts after every flight. The way I fixed mine was to use a stack of fender washers, small to big so they tightened down on the outer edge of the muffler. I may have used longer screws, don't remember. I think I put a spacer like a wheel collar where the head of the original socket screw was so it could tighten against it also. The good pitts mufflers use a shorter screw and do not crush the tube. Would send a picture but cowl is on. Bottom line AGM pitts are pretty and shinny but are crap.

Last edited by jerryj39; 04-28-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Valius

Thanks guys, hope these smart advices will help.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:43 PM
SBALPHADOG

Default AMG 30cc Throttle extension arm

I am plagued with the same AMG throttle arm and choke arm both being on top of each other. In your picture your throttle arm extension looks great; where can I get one please?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:01 PM
raubold

{DLE carb like} without the automatic crapp,or detent stuff ball/shaft and spring from another valbro carb same size and design will work, you figure it out by looking at that stuff. the automatic release is close to useless in R/C but easy to fix for this aplication
even buying a junk carb with regular choke makes it worth doing that conversion
Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM
aaron_waldrop24

Originally Posted by raubold
{DLE carb like} without the automatic crapp,or detent stuff ball/shaft and spring from another valbro carb same size and design will work, you figure it out by looking at that stuff. the automatic release is close to useless in R/C but easy to fix for this aplication
even buying a junk carb with regular choke makes it worth doing that conversion
I have the 30cc agm. My problem from the beginning was a cracked crank case .so tge seller from eBay sent me a new one. Now after 2 gallons of 32 to 1 I decide to check rpm with a 19x3da xoar prop and only get 6200 rpm. I disassemble the engine and the cylinder has pits in the metal bore surface. So they are now sending a new top end .the weird thing is the engine has 3 time the compresion when I turn it backwards with the carb and reeds removed. This makes no since what could be wrong?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:13 PM
SBALPHADOG

Hi guys. Having alot of the same issues with my new AGcM 30cc, V-2. Have been trying to figure out how to connect the throttle linkage and deal with the overlapping throttle and choke arm issues. Here is my solution after much thought and trial and error: I do not use the auto lock open choke feature. I installed a servo for the choke, leaving the choke spring installed. To open the choke the servo pulls. I have found this after market throttle arm extension on Ebay to solve the throttle and choke arm collision that was plaguing this engine. [http://www.ebay.com/itm/291138122556...3AMEBIDX%3AIT] All is good now. I don't know why AGM won't deal with this issue and at least recommend this option even if they don't want to include the throttle arm extension with their engine.
Breaking it in with a 18-6. It ran for about 40 minutes on the stand on 8 ozs of 93% octane with NO ethanol and 50 to 1 Stihl HP Ultra (FULL) synthetic oil. Amazing! It is going into a Fly Model MXS-R for it's maiden in about 10 days.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:42 PM
raubold

that 3d xoar is labor propp anyways and does not spool up to good for 3D, best trust 19X6 hands down ( i like the Vess, but its noisy), check the timing, sound like slightly retarded, i run mine on DLE specs
Old 05-13-2015, 02:24 PM
barnowljenx

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I used a servo for the choke and mixed the throttle with the choke operation. The throttle servo moves the throttle far enough open to allow the choke to operate. I'm using a JR XG11 Tx and put the choke on a 3 position switch. This gives me full choke, half choke and no choke with an increased idle speed for either of the first 2 cases. Works well especially being able to use half choke when the engine is either cold or luke warm.
Amazing value and great power output.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:43 PM
TXAG96
My Feedback: (1)

I have an agm 30 with an agm 18x8 prop and pitts muffler. I am only able to get 6300 rpm. I tweaked the needles as much as possible and that is all I get. It starts, transitions and runs great but won't get above 6300. I advanced the timing as much as I could but still no improvement. Anybody have any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM
aaron_waldrop24

Try to get your money back they are a joke. I have the same problem. They have just about replaced every part for mine and every new part Has a blemish or flaw.and these parts are straight from agm.cracked crankcase. Pitted cylinder and now my new cylinder came with a large chip in the chrome plating.after more emails they have said try it lol and they would improve there quality.what a joke. I told them to send me a dle cylinder and they stated it cost more.ughhhhhh just wished I would have spent $50 more on a dle.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 PM
TXAG96

Aaron,

Thanks. Let me know how it turns out. My first reply from agm was to use an 18x8 prop and set the needles. That was of course what I had already done. I may try swapping out another ignition to see if that could be limiting rpm. It really starts and transitions great. Pretty disappointed right now. They really seem to be hit or miss.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but I think these engines are cheap china junkers.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:28 AM
flyierjon

I just ran mine for the first time a week ago. Started and ran great. Only tweaking I had to do was to adjust my high end needle 1/8th turn out! Idles perfectly and ran up to full rpm perfect too! Running it with an 18-10 prop 6v battery on ign. ran it for 30 min and didnt even use 12oz of fuel. I have my fuel mix at 32-1 ratio and I have no complaints.... going to be flying this engine on my Ohio Models built up Cap 232 for the first time this coming friday and saturday!!! ill take some video hopefully and share with you all...
Jon
Old 05-27-2015, 02:09 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice airplane, sure hope you got a engine that lives a long time with good power!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM
TXAG96

I thought I would give a quick update for those considering the AGM. Mine appears to have low compression and therefor low power. I am getting only 6300 on an 18 x 8 prop. I am confident in my needle settings. Brand new NGK spark plug is the right color so I am happy with the tuning. I took the cylinder off last night and found significant side wear on the piston. Enough that you can actually feel a step that has been cut in the piston. Also there appears to by significant blowby. I am not sure if the cylinder is out of round or what but there is polishing around the ports and I think witnes marks where the ring may not be staying in contact with the cylinder further up the bore. Like the bore is out of round or maybe just a low spot. Having said all that, it is super easy to start and it transitions great. Top end power sucks. I compared the feel of compression to an OS 33GT that I have and the difference in compression is night and day. My AGM is weak.

I am in contact with the manufacturer and so far they have been responding. I would like them to send a good piston and cylinder. We shall see...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AGMCylinder.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2099195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston wear.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2099196  
Old 08-19-2015, 04:12 PM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

I am not sure what is happening, but all the sources for the AGM 30cc Seem to have dried up. Can't find them on Ebay, AGM doesn't have any ... just a Coming Soon sign. Coming soon? they have been out for a couple of years. Anyone know what is going on?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:39 PM
flyinwalenda

This is why I was holding off buying one early last year to see where the company/product was headed.
Maybe it is just a case of selling out and waiting for a container to arrive or something worse. Member "AGMUSA" company rep/owner who was active in this thread has not been on for almost a year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.