Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

ZDZ 80 RV piston, parts or engine needed ???

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 80 RV piston, parts or engine needed ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM
GizmoMadMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 RV piston, parts or engine needed ???

Grasping for Straws...
As noted in my other thread, before i give up on my ZDZ80RV, I am scouting you folks to see if anyone happens to have a piston, or top end or a parts motor before i throw in the towel and go with another engine brand.

I figure, who knows, maybe someone out there has a new piston sitting around like i have had over the years for my MX bikes, my snowmobiles and my vehicles, you buy new parts, and then things change and then you NEVER use them, little gems of gold sometimes

(Now BRBR is from the UK and he was kind enough in the other thread to see if he can get parts and help me across the Ocean, what a trooper, love the fellow RC'er help )

This thread is only for a piston or parts or a parts engine or a good used engine with good compression?

I can purchase a NEW cylinder and ring left in stock in USA and Canada, but the piston will NEVER be stocked again according to TroyBuilt/TMB , they said discontinued so they will not stock it anymore, instead they said buy a new ZDZ90

Canda AMR said they have to wait for the silly factory to respond to emails, sometimes a week or two, then if the factory still has a piston, it may take 2 months to get here...

I have rebuilt dozens of 2-stroke & 4-stroke cycle engines for 40 years, so part and rebuilding is no big deal, i just need parts to rebuild....

I am discussing the other brands on the other thread.
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=85287

Thanks in advance

Last edited by GizmoMadMax; 08-26-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM
MR. BIG STUFF
My Feedback: (27)

Hi Gizmo, I have a ZDZ80RV engine that runs good, & looks good. I dont think I will be using it. The ignition went bad on it and TBM wants $180.00 for a new one. I cant see paying that much for a new ignition. So i just bought a new engine, my problem solved. Let me know if your interested. Thanks Mike.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
GizmoMadMax

Originally Posted by MR. BIG STUFF
Hi Gizmo, I have a ZDZ80RV engine that runs good, & looks good. I dont think I will be using it. The ignition went bad on it and TBM wants $180.00 for a new one. I cant see paying that much for a new ignition. So i just bought a new engine, my problem solved. Let me know if your interested. Thanks Mike.
pm sent
Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

why you need a new top end? I have a ZDZ80rv and a ZDZ80 -J Super and I can say my RV dose not feel like it has a ton of compression but my RPMS are on step with those I read online...

Are your RPMS low?

If you can get a new head you don't always need a new pistion

I know you can get a new ring from Frank Brown, his rings rock! My new DLE 55 pick up RPM vs my will broken in one...
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM
GizmoMadMax

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
why you need a new top end? I have a ZDZ80rv and a ZDZ80 -J Super and I can say my RV dose not feel like it has a ton of compression but my RPMS are on step with those I read online...

Are your RPMS low?

I know you can get a new ring from Frank Brown, his rings rock! My new DLE 55 pick up RPM vs my will broken in one...
oh, because the last owner did NOT give enough air through the front cowl opening and cooked the motor and prematurely wore the cylinder out, the nikasil/chrome is 90% gone and 65lbs compression, ouch.... it was 84lbs, i stripped it, clean up piston and installed new ring, and fly great for 3 flights, now it has 65lbs compression and will barely start with 0 flips, she is toast... so i figured with the .015" clearence between piston and cylinder means both are toasted, so i need both??? at least for a fresh rebuild, BUT, if you happen to know ZDZ's better than i do, would a fresh cylinder and ring do the job??? because they are in stock!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the helps!!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 PM
GizmoMadMax

Are your RPMS low?

Oh nice, who is Frank Brown, a dealer here on the forums? i can look him up when needed also :-)

Last edited by GizmoMadMax; 08-26-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM
GizmoMadMax

Originally Posted by MR. BIG STUFF
HI Mike, i sent a PM, hopefully that came through, also can you give me call ? thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM
mikes68charger

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engi...ton-rings.html

He makes coustom rings out of a softer materal that breaks in quicker and is easyer on the cylinder

sorry that sucks
Old 08-27-2013, 05:18 PM
GizmoMadMax

Hey hey hey!!!
Guess what!!!

"MR. BIG STUFF" over at RCUniverse replied to me from my post and sold me his fairly fresh ZDZ80RV at a great price(due to bad ignition and being an older ZDZ)!!!!
So many thanks to "MR. BIG STUFF" and these RC sites!!! (The ZDZ factory is 2 months out ordering a piston, urgggg)

One mans trash is another man's treasure, so he did NOT want to drop $180 for a new ZDZ ignition, nor did he have a plane for it now, as he already swapped engines earlier this year, so this was sitting around collecting dust....

I and many other wish there was a rating system on these RC Sites like ebay and amazon have, that way we can thank such great people.
oh actually, i think paypal has a rating system, i can thank him there also..

The engine has 125 psi compression dry on the bench right now, so that is worlds better than my failing ZDZ80RV !!!!
My last ZDZ80RV had 120psi compression and ran great for years and sold her running great!!! (TBM states 150psi is a new cylinder)

So as always, I will strip it first Fri eve, decarbonize it, solvent clean it, reoil it with AMSOil HP synthetic oil, and maybe add a fresh Ring (although, i need to post on whether that is a good thing or bad thing with these R/C engines???)
Then after reassembly and some fresh fuel and AmsOil synthetic oil, the compression should be higher, but at least will purr like a kitten, then hang on the prop :-)

Hey, so excited that i did NOT have to swap engines out to another brand with the frame already flying with my ZDZ in it, i was NOT excited about the concept of removing the ZDZ, filling the holes and then mounting another brand engine, and the linkage and the header and the cowl, the whole redo during the flying season and summary wrapping up :-(
[so in mean time, i can order a new piston from ZDZ and wait a lousy 2 months, then i will have a fresh cylinder, piston, ring, wrist pin, gasket and a shiney new engine for backup or brand spanking new for someone else :-) ]

So many Kudo's and thanks to "MR. BIG STUFF", he save the day, the month, the season!!!
Cheers

P.S. So then my next aircraft will have a more common engine with parts readily available, so i will be watching the GP's, DLE's DA's, 3W's, MVVS's, Evolution's, etc [although the junk 50cc Evolution has Evolution engines looking bad to me right now and a few others, a whole other thread and story for that :-( ]

Last edited by GizmoMadMax; 08-27-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM
mikes68charger

A new ring will have to reseat and will slightly wear the cylinder. I would use a frank ring if you do use a new ring
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 PM
GizmoMadMax

A new ring will have to reseat and will slightly wear the cylinder. I would use a frank ring if you do use a new ring
yea, i was thinking that, so maybe i will not swap the ring for this season, because now, the ZDZ cyl coating has me scared :-(