Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

TOC 3mm 53cc engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TOC 3mm 53cc engine

I was wondering where to get parts for the TOC 3mm 53cc Gasser. I was there when my flying buddy purchased this engine from Wild H. Hobbies. Hey, the engine ran very good back in the day. It became tired because in my opinion it was ran too lean a few times and it was overheated too many times due to using too big of a propeller and inadequately cooled. So, last year my friend sold this engine to me and now I have it.

I would like to rebuild this engine. I see that the front and rear bearings are still available from Cermark along with a few gaskets. No seals-do I take out the old ones and measure them and see if my local bearing shop can match them up? Shouldn't someone out there in this big world still be servicing this engine? Does Bowman make a compression ring for this one?

I am considering using this engine in a professionally built Walt Moucha Models PJ-295 that weighs 17 Lbs. If used I am planning to use a 22 x 8 or 21 X 10 propeller on it.
If I do use this engine it will be completely rebuilt and restored to new condition and if not, I will just purchase a new engine such as the DLE 55, or a ZDZ or something that flies scale birds well.

One would think that since there were so many of these made that there should be parts available.
Is this a throw-away engine? Like a bic lighter? disposable?
WHO HAS THESE PARTS!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 PM
tlandon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Chief Aircraft. They used to sell them.

Last edited by tlandon; 09-19-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 PM
tlandon

Try Chief Aircraft, they used to sell 3MM motors. If they can't help try Scott Sorenson. I worked with him at DawghouseRC. We were the first to bring that motor over here to the US. Scott went out of business but might still have some parts. You can email him at [email protected].
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM
alburman
My Feedback: (4)

Try Troy Built Models. They used to have parts for that engine. They also used to have a metal reed valve block to rplace the plactic original part.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:54 PM
tlandon

Forgot. Tom at Wildhare RC used to sell them as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:02 AM
STUKA BARRY

I have one of these engines I purchased used. I haven't stated it yet, but it has very good compression and looks to be in great shape. I also have the 3M TMM-106 twin that is brand new still in the box that I plan on installing in my Meister FW-190A swinging a 25X12 threebladed prop. I've seen several youtube videos of these engines in action on 3D aerobatic planes and although videos can be deceiving, I was quite impressed with the power and performance. I hope my Wolf has nearly the same performance keeping in mind that hovering/vertical climb will be replaced with speed and maneuverability.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:26 PM
grossy2

I carry spares for these engines. PM with details of what engine you have and parts required.
Bear in mind I'm in Australia, so shipping will be high.

Cheers
Grossy

Originally Posted by Steve S. Helland
I was wondering where to get parts for the TOC 3mm 53cc Gasser. I was there when my flying buddy purchased this engine from Wild H. Hobbies. Hey, the engine ran very good back in the day. It became tired because in my opinion it was ran too lean a few times and it was overheated too many times due to using too big of a propeller and inadequately cooled. So, last year my friend sold this engine to me and now I have it.

I would like to rebuild this engine. I see that the front and rear bearings are still available from Cermark along with a few gaskets. No seals-do I take out the old ones and measure them and see if my local bearing shop can match them up? Shouldn't someone out there in this big world still be servicing this engine? Does Bowman make a compression ring for this one?

I am considering using this engine in a professionally built Walt Moucha Models PJ-295 that weighs 17 Lbs. If used I am planning to use a 22 x 8 or 21 X 10 propeller on it.
If I do use this engine it will be completely rebuilt and restored to new condition and if not, I will just purchase a new engine such as the DLE 55, or a ZDZ or something that flies scale birds well.

One would think that since there were so many of these made that there should be parts available.
Is this a throw-away engine? Like a bic lighter? disposable?
WHO HAS THESE PARTS!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I've run 2 of these, one installed in WM GS zero that was clocked at 107mph coming out of a dive.
It's a great motor, 3W knock off basically.
I have not needed parts for mine and have run them several years now.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Get ahold of Tom at Valley Rc he still sells the former 3mm motors now they are TMM and I just purchased the 106 twin. He gets his motors and supplies from a guy in China who distributes the TMM motors and parts.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Steve S. Helland

Cool! I know Tom, He drilled VV props for me and I have spoken to him, I never knew they were marketing these engines or drew the conclusion...thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:37 AM
dfyjghkmgvhwen

Try Chief Aircraft. They used to sell them.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Steve S. Helland

Thanks for all your help! Valley view R/C can order the parts for these engines! They are no longer 3mm but are now called TMM. I talked to Tom over there and he confirmed it, yes they can get the parts for these motors!