Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas radial engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:58 AM
B-Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Blair,
I'm the owner of the Saito 450r problem child (post #246)...are you planning on doing the inlet manifolds for that engine as well?

Bruce
Old 11-21-2014, 03:05 AM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by B-Squared
Hi Blair,
I'm the owner of the Saito 450r problem child (post #246)...are you planning on doing the inlet manifolds for that engine as well?

Bruce
Hi Bruce, im currently tracking down a Saito 450 manifold so I can get the sizes off it.

I intended to do them soon enough as I have some members of my club having your issues.

cheers Blair
Old 11-21-2014, 06:09 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Squared
Hi Blair,

Bruce
Have you ever gotten the low compression on #1 & the mixture sorted out?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:11 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Blair K.
Hi Bruce, im currently tracking down a Saito 450 manifold so I can get the sizes off it.

I intended to do them soon enough as I have some members of my club having your issues.

cheers Blair
I could send you my back plates if you need something for developement.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 AM
prophead
My Feedback: (25)

I make my own
Had a keleo fail twice, won't own another one.

Plus I picked up 1300 rpm with my hand made exhaust after I took off my keleo, made kelvin aware that it had broken a second time and I didn't even get a response.
This is just for the record, Blair bought a used exhaust and it was an early design and I had made Blair aware of this in an email exchange, and I also stated to him that this design would break. None of our exchanges where about Blair contacting me about anything breaking, the only talk about breaking was my mention of this. Had Blair bought this from me I would have warranted the exhaust by either shipping him a new one or refunding him his money. Again just for the record

Kelvin
Keleo Creations

Last edited by prophead; 11-21-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by prophead
This is just for the record, Blair bought a used exhaust and it was an early design and I had made Blair aware of this in an email exchange, and I also stated to him that this design would break. None of our exchanges where about Blair contacting me about anything breaking, the only talk about breaking was my mention of this. Had Blair bought this from me I would have warranted the exhaust by either shipping him a new one or refunding him his money. Again just for the record

Kelvin
Keleo Creations
Um....yeah rightio... my exhaust was new old stock evident by the pic I emailed you Kelvin with all the powder coating still on the primary bend and heres the email after it broke the second time:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-22-07-38-34.png
Views:	845
Size:	704.0 KB
ID:	2049142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-22-07-29-37.png
Views:	863
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2049143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0969.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2049144  
Old 11-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Blair K.

That exhaust had never been used because the first time I started it powder coating bubbled on that narrow primary bend.

Either way would never hit higher than 8800 rpm on the ground, when I rebuilt the exhaust it came alive 10100 rpm on the ground and plane became a favourite as evident by the sheer number of photos of it on our club website.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:54 PM
prophead
My Feedback: (25)

That exhaust had never been used because the first time I started it powder coating bubbled on that narrow primary bend.

Either way would never hit higher than 8800 rpm on the ground, when I rebuilt the exhaust it came alive 10100 rpm on the ground and plane became a favourite as evident by the sheer number of photos of it on our club website.
Now we are getting somewhere, you didn't tell everyone that you bought it second hand, which is what I meant by used. So not knowing that it was purchased second hand one might believe that I sold it to you and when it broke and you brought it to my attention and I didn't respond, might lead people to believe that I don't stand behind my products.
So while your posting emails why don't you post the one where I told you that was an old design and that it had a problem and would break, there was no secret there. And in that same email I mentioned that it was redesigned so that it wouldn't break and that when you buy things like this second hand you take a chance just like this. Don't mislead people by not telling the whole story.
Enough said about this, I got my point across.

Kelvin
Old 11-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by prophead
Now we are getting somewhere, you didn't tell everyone that you bought it second hand, which is what I meant by used. So not knowing that it was purchased second hand one might believe that I sold it to you and when it broke and you brought it to my attention and I didn't respond, might lead people to believe that I don't stand behind my products.
So while your posting emails why don't you post the one where I told you that was an old design and that it had a problem and would break, there was no secret there. And in that same email I mentioned that it was redesigned so that it wouldn't break and that when you buy things like this second hand you take a chance just like this. Don't mislead people by not telling the whole story.
Enough said about this, I got my point across.

Kelvin
Sorry Kelvin but an unused exhaust that breaks is fair grounds to express my opinion, I haven't mislead anyone, I said I had a Keleo exhaust, at no time did I say I bought from you. If I buy a Saito from Japan am I liar if I only say I have a Saito ??? What the...

If you state at no time did I make you aware of it failing then im going to reply and im entitled to as well.

If failure is a sure thing and you state as much but dont offer to recall it before it breaks well thats your business. The model I had was the same as one pictured on your website when it broke.

I never said you dont stand behind your product, I said you never responded hence why I posted the email in response to your " for the record" statement.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I could send you my back plates if you need something for developement.
Hi SR,

Thanks for the offer but I have a club member with a complete spare Saito 450 happy to donate for the development. This engine has never been mounted due to its traits, I hope to get it pulling his Gilmore around nicely.

It will be in my hot little hands tomorrow at the warbirds day at TMAC.

Cheers Blair
Old 11-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by TomH
BK, you will be the first one, then Ray will be the second one I send pics to. The only reason they will want to blame Keleo ring exhaust is because their's is not ready. Don't want to start a war here, but I would bet money you would never see this from O.S. They better hope O.S. Does not see this and decide they want a 3cyl. Radial. I own my own business and distribute equipment for a lot of manufacturers and this would never be allowed to happen, this just blows me away. They will let people struggle with a defect. How do you produce a "new & improved" model, and ignore the other two engines. Then the rc community comes up with the "fix", really sad. Please tell me why I have one reserved.
t|
Getting close now Tom ....
Old 12-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I wonder if they hired some General Motors engineers?

More likely just another clueless hobbyist .

Saito gas engines have had more than their share of teething problems . A real pity since the Saito glow engines are pretty decent running .
Seems OS has faired a bit better in the gasoline fueled arena . Even Enya now has a gasser .
Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The last few flights with my FG-33R3 have ended with dead sticks. Engine starts and runs fine, but after a few minutes of flight, temp climbs (on-board telemetry) and ultimately engine dies. After checking throttle needles I realized that the low speed needle [referred to as "slow speed needle" in manual] was super lean which means it is evidently moving/vibrating while running.

What causes this and more importantly, what is the solution?

Thanks for your guidance!

Cheers
Old 12-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by marksp
The last few flights with my FG-33R3 have ended with dead sticks. Engine starts and runs fine, but after a few minutes of flight, temp climbs (on-board telemetry) and ultimately engine dies. After checking throttle needles I realized that the low speed needle [referred to as "slow speed needle" in manual] was super lean which means it is evidently moving/vibrating while running.

What causes this and more importantly, what is the solution?

Thanks for your guidance!

Cheers
Hey Mark, what causes it is just vibration, a simple fix is a smidgeon of 222 loctite AND I MEAN 222 only. Its specifically for small fine threads and grabs very lightly. This problem is encountered in RC gas boats as well if you run a big bore carby like wyk33-1, they have a super fine idle mixture screw thread and it fixes the issue.

you will need to clean the thread with alcohol or similar before application.

its available from most industrial type screw shops not your hardware.

shake it well and apply only a tiny bit with a cane skewer, works great and once set you can re-adjust with small amount of friction felt.

cheers Blair
Old 12-09-2014, 05:07 AM
Blair K.

I have progressed in my P-47 re- engine project, I have finished my custom engine mount for the FA 325 R5 , it will shorten the overall firewall offset by 7 mm and allow the exhaust ring to be smaller in diameter.

My exhaust is finished and sounds plenty angry enough to turn heads. Initial testing after run in with my exhaust 7800 rpm with a Master Air Screw classic 18x10, it pulls over my bench so I had to rope it to the shed, the thrust calcs come back at 9.96 kg of thrust.

Ill post actual figures when I re-mount it in the plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_220322.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	2053299   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_220357.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2053300   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_220811.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	2053301   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_220522.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	2053302  
Old 12-09-2014, 03:45 PM
marksp

Hey Mark, what causes it is just vibration, a simple fix is a smidgeon of 222 loctite AND I MEAN 222 only. Its specifically for small fine threads and grabs very lightly. This problem is encountered in RC gas boats as well if you run a big bore carby like wyk33-1, they have a super fine idle mixture screw thread and it fixes the issue.

you will need to clean the thread with alcohol or similar before application.

its available from most industrial type screw shops not your hardware.

shake it well and apply only a tiny bit with a cane skewer, works great and once set you can re-adjust with small amount of friction felt.

cheers Blair
Right on, Blair!

Cheers

Last edited by marksp; 12-09-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:27 AM
B-Squared

Hi Mark...out of curiosity where did you attach the telemetry unit to your engine? I have a Saito 450 that I'm going to do the same thing with. I have three Hitec engine temp sensors that I want to attach to monitor the temps inflight once the cowl is on. Thanks....Bruce
Old 12-10-2014, 07:25 AM
marksp

I'm using Spektrum temp sensor which essentially is a thin wire loop. I have this wrapped around #1 between fins at the top of cylinder with the active sensor part (red) near exhaust.

Not certain if this is the best location, but it's close to the hottest area measured with my laser temp gun.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 AM
johnhi

Getting close now Tom ....

Hi Blair and Tom I have just received my FG60 R3 and stumbled across this thread, I haven't started the engine yet but I am concerned about what I read on these pages. Can I ask Blair if you will make a new modified back plate for me too? I live in London so can mail you whatever you need.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:46 AM
marksp

Actually, the FG-60R3 is an updated design which addresses the 2 biggest issues with the FG-84R3 and the FG-33R3. Specifically, the intake plenum has been redesigned and it includes a proper crankshaft connecting rod bushing. A representative from Horizon has confirmed the FG-60 includes these enhancements.

Owners of the 84R3 and the 33R3 aren't so lucky.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Blair K.

Originally Posted by johnhi
Hi Blair and Tom I have just received my FG60 R3 and stumbled across this thread, I haven't started the engine yet but I am concerned about what I read on these pages. Can I ask Blair if you will make a new modified back plate for me too? I live in London so can mail you whatever you need.
Hi John, Mark beat me to it, we are told the FG60 is the new and improved version so hopefully you will be a little luckier than some of us.

Cheers Blair
Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Blair K.

Hi John, Mark beat me to it, we are told the FG60 is the new and improved version so hopefully you will be a little luckier than some of us.

Cheers Blair
Old 12-16-2014, 01:28 AM
johnhi

Thanks Mark and Blair, that is a relief, one more question the manual suggest 15:1 or 20:1 fuel/oil mix, would I be right in thinking that 15:1 is for the break-in period then go to 20:1 for general flying?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Blair K.

Thanks Mark and Blair, that is a relief, one more question the manual suggest 15:1 or 20:1 fuel/oil mix, would I be right in thinking that 15:1 is for the break-in period then go to 20:1 for general flying?
Hi John with the history gas Saitos have had id be running 15/1 for added safety.

I found cool power blue worked well with little carbon build up, Klotz R 50 was pushed by a supplier here and its terrible for carbon build up so dont try and use it.

Cheers Blair
Old 12-16-2014, 07:39 AM
marksp

+1 for 15:1

Crisp throttle response, max RPM and no plug fouling. BTW, I also switched out the Saito plugs for RCXL plugs which work well.

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.