Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine odor issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine odor issue

yesterday I worked outside and ran one of my bigger R/C engines, then used the leaf blower for a while, when I came in the house
my wife said I really smelled like exhaust, used the same gas and oil mix for both jobs, I am wondering if some 2 stroke oils
produce more stink than others, I don't remember having this problem a few years ago, wish I could remember what brand of oil I
was using then. Anyone know of an oil that is not so smelly when it burns?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really, but do know of a few wives that do not object. Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 11-09-2013, 05:08 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Klotz has a perfume smell
Old 11-09-2013, 05:42 PM
STUKA BARRY

A few drops of Channel #8 to your fuel/oil mix wont hurt, but some modelers at the field might start looking at you funny....
Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you could try some Power Plus Fuel Fragrances. They come in Grape, Cherry, Bubble Gum, Cotton Candy, Pina Colada, Blueberry, Root Beer, Strawberry, Water Mellon, Rasberry, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Banana, Apple and Tangerine. I bought a bottle myself, but I misplaced it and can't find it now, I wanted to see how it works myself too.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/power-plus-lubricants/product-line/power-plus-fuel-fragrances?autoview=SKU

Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

When I was a kid, my friends and I flew control-line combat. Sometimes we would add about an ounce of peppermint oil to the fuel and it would leave an odor in the air. Usually did it when we went to a contest. No problems arose so yes, you can add a scent to your fuel.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:18 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I tried some crappy cologne my wife bought for me and didn't like it. I put a dozen squirts into my RC car fuel jug. Every now and then you could get a whiff of Polo Sport. It still smelled like glow engine exhaust for the most part, I suppose adding more scent would work better. Curious how well this would work for a gas engine. They run so hot I wonder if you'd be able to smell the scent over the exhaust?
Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

I have a suspicion that synthetic oil has less smell, I was using non synthetic
Old 11-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've never noticed much difference between the odor of most synthetic or mineral oils when they come out of the exhaust. Just smells like exhaust to me and no, I never really cared for the odor. Klotz and a few other oils do have a different sort of odor though.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by WRK
I have a suspicion that synthetic oil has less smell, I was using non synthetic
I doubt that. More synthetic oil burns than mineral oil since the flashpoint of a lot of our synthetics are a good bit lower than mineral oils or castor oil. But I suppose the quality of the oil has a lot to do with it and what base stocks its made from. I tried synthetic oil in my gasoline 2-strokes and found it to be as cumbersome with carbon as mineral oils. What I found helps keep the carbon soft and the rings clean is adding like 5-10% glow fuel with 20% oil and 5-10% nitro to my gasoline/oil mixture (by volume). This requires a richer needle setting and thus more oil and fuel going through. Its a little bit wasteful but it made a huge difference in carbon production in my 1973 Tecumseh 3hp auger engine with breaker point ignition. The rings are clean, the piston top has a light layer of carbon and the exhaust port stays mostly clean. The auger engine likes nitromethane too, it picks up a nice chunk of rpm with the hot fuel added and the exhaust has the castor smell to it which is not as obnoxious as regular gas/oil mixes.

I'd run my gasoline engines on methanol if I could find carburetors that are the right size for my engines. I dont think the WT499 would work well on my 3hp Tecumseh engine.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Run good oil in all your engines period. When you go in the house shower and change your clothes, easy.