Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 62 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:40 PM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Bergstrom
It does need a 2S LiPo because the minimum voltage for the overall system is 7.4v.

Pete
Wow! So some of the most popular and safest batteries that we use can not be used! Why not design the system so that a LiFe be used? I would never charge a LiPo in a plane and I don't have a single ignition battery that is easily removable.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Will a 3 cell LiFe work? 7.4 volts is the minimum required.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Wow! So some of the most popular and safest batteries that we use can not be used! Why not design the system so that a LiFe be used? I would never charge a LiPo in a plane and I don't have a single ignition battery that is easily removable.
Ditto.

Bummer...
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM
jrandle

Default Minimum Ignition Voltage of 7.4V ????

Hi Pete,

As per your post below, does this mean the engine will stop if the LiPo reaches 7.4V ?

Is this really true, even though this is only 3.7V per cell for a 2 cell LiPo, and is roughly only 50% of the usable capacity depending on discharge rate ??

I would much rather risk damaging my ignition battery by accidently taking it down to 6.0V rather than have the engine cut at what may be a very inappropriate moment.

Is there a low voltage warning such as momentary throttle cut blips or pulses to warn the user the are close to the cutoff ?

Thanks,
Jag

It does need a 2S LiPo because the minimum voltage for the overall system is 7.4v.

Pete
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

I think this is great. I've been waiting years to see this in our model engines. As for batteries, I don't think it matters what kind of battery you use as long as there is sufficient voltage.

Does anyone have any further info. on the motor? Looks like its a direct fit for a DA50/DA60 replacement. I love my DA engines, so I hope down the pike we might see systems like this available to retrofit existing motors.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM
foundryratjim
My Feedback: (93)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having read every thing here ... I think people are thinking way too much about what the efi system here doesn't have. This is an engine that doesn't have to meet epa standards ( at least not yet). I worked for twelve years as an experimental test technician for GM doing combustion analysis and spark and fuel mapping tests. This type of purpose built engine does not need all the special accessories that an automotive engine has. A spark and fuel map can be developed to make an engine perform very well (look at the motorcycle aftermarket) with out them for rc use. I would would think the 3D pilots will love the throttle transition this could give them. As a side note , we would still be running carbs on cars if the government had,t required cleaner emissions and better fuel economy. It cost a lot of money to develop the initial systems. I would think this technology would be picked up by the military for some of their drones if they haven't already. I will be looking for one of these at Toledo. I have a Great Planes Wagstaff Extra in the box that needs an engine. I don't mind buying one the first ones. I have always had good luck with Horizon stand behind their products.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:28 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
Having read every thing here ... I think people are thinking way too much about what the efi system here doesn't have. This is an engine that doesn't have to meet epa standards ( at least not yet). I worked for twelve years as an experimental test technician for GM doing combustion analysis and spark and fuel mapping tests. This type of purpose built engine does not need all the special accessories that an automotive engine has. A spark and fuel map can be developed to make an engine perform very well (look at the motorcycle aftermarket) with out them for rc use. I would would think the 3D pilots will love the throttle transition this could give them. As a side note , we would still be running carbs on cars if the government had,t required cleaner emissions and better fuel economy. It cost a lot of money to develop the initial systems. I would think this technology would be picked up by the military for some of their drones if they haven't already. I will be looking for one of these at Toledo. I have a Great Planes Wagstaff Extra in the box that needs an engine. I don't mind buying one the first ones. I have always had good luck with Horizon stand behind their products.
I seems to me that the people most against this system are those employed by the UAV industry. I agree with you and base this on outboard motors. The efi ones run smooth while the carb models shake like hell at idle.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Kentli22

I want one as soon as they can sell it to me. Unlike earlwb and w8ye and many others, I know very little about engines, but I don't mind to be the first to try it out. I have confidence in Horizon and Evolution products. I have been wondering why there wasn't any efi engines for the rc engines, now there is. GREAT!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM

because a carb engine is a lot simpler to operator.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:55 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

What can be simpler than an engine with no needles?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 AM
MTK

Pete
Hmmmm! Pete will it accept a 3S Lipo?

A 2S Lipo has a max voltage of 8.4 volts. It takes a 2000 ma maybe an hour or so at 300 ma draw to drop to 7.4.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lifer
What can be simpler than an engine with no needles?

it hasn't been proved yet in the real world,but who knows it may be the best thing sense slice bread.we will see how easy it is and trouble free soon enough.
on a carb engine you set the needles and go,nothing else left to do for a very long time.i never seen so many guy's get excited about not having to set the needles on a carb, unless they can't figure out how to.
if it was so great a thing it would have been done sooner on hobby engines.why hasn't any of the other big name manufactures done this before.MVVS is the HP king why haven't they done it?DA is the service king why haven't they made there engines for the public like this?
its just on more electronic gizmo to fail.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Well shoot to set the needles a person needs at least a BS in mechanical engineering, A Masters Degree in Mechanics,Carb and engine design at least a 2 yr grad school course on the environment, Another 1 yr course on today's and yesterday's gasoline and the use of hand tools.
77 years of practice and of course a screwdriver and Approx 3-4 minutes of actual tuning time. An engine would come in handy but not an necessity with the computer programs available.
I almost forgot some good bifocals by then.*S*

In the year 2525 everything you think do and say will be in the pill you took today.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 AM
MTK

The non-mechanical types among us may not be as certain that "usually" turning the screw to the right, screws it in, and turning it left, screws it out. Also may not quite have the fact down that screwing the screw in leans the mixture and out, richens it. It's EZ to many of us but it boggles the mind of some of us.....I think there's plenty of room in gas modeldom for such an engine.....
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

I am quite possibly the worst engine tuner in the world. No engine of mine that I have tuned with a tach and instructions has ever run worth a @#$% !!! In fact, usually after I mess with an engine, even the 70 year old men who have been in small engine repair for 55 years are baffled with what I've done with the engine and can only get it to run poorly. No needles is a blessing for me. I have a DA 50 that won't run for goodness sakes. Luckily, this engine mounts right up to the same holes and if it works as advertised, I'll be buying at least one more immediately.

BTW, I'm mostly deaf so I can't hear well enough to do much tuning. And using a tach just doesn't seem to tell the whole story well enough. I can hear burble and stumbling, but not the nuances. Basically I'm just a horrid tuner and EFI will help me immensely. Now, if we could just get rid of the servo moving the throttle arm, we would REALLY be spoiled!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Kentli22

Isn't it true that this engine will not be available until June? Can I get one this month?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:07 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by panhndl
I am quite possibly the worst engine tuner in the world. No engine of mine that I have tuned with a tach and instructions has ever run worth a @#$% !!! In fact, usually after I mess with an engine, even the 70 year old men who have been in small engine repair for 55 years are baffled with what I've done with the engine and can only get it to run poorly. No needles is a blessing for me. I have a DA 50 that won't run for goodness sakes. Luckily, this engine mounts right up to the same holes and if it works as advertised, I'll be buying at least one more immediately.

BTW, I'm mostly deaf so I can't hear well enough to do much tuning. And using a tach just doesn't seem to tell the whole story well enough. I can hear burble and stumbling, but not the nuances. Basically I'm just a horrid tuner and EFI will help me immensely. Now, if we could just get rid of the servo moving the throttle arm, we would REALLY be spoiled!
It's likely that you have something else going wrong aside from needle settings if an experienced person can't get the engine to run right. Remember, you have to start with a good base system before you can advance to tuning. Is there an air leak, is the ignition module acting funny, etc?

I think the EFI system at this point is mainly for those of us who want to try out the latest and greatest technology. I think it's really cool but I doubt that I will buy one.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 PM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

Well, the DA 50 has a new carb kit in my shop that will be installed very soon I hope. That should help but my point is that I can't tune an engine. At all. I can read instructions, use a tachometer and do it by the book and engines won't run when I'm finished with them. This engine might eliminate that for me. That would be a massive boon to those of us that can't tune an engine.e worth a flip.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Given how tuning has largely been based on hearing, the new EFI system should create a whole new experience for those with hearing challenges. Love it when technology enables!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by panhndl

I also tune by ear and not by a tack.it would be a real pain to use just a tack.
for you, it would be a great benefit not having to twist the needles.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kmeyers
A Russian guy who has an opinion. That is what this forum is for... is'nt it?

I wonder what the average Russian has to give in labor for 600 dollars US plus taxes and shipping.
The real question is how much labor will we in America have to give for $600 coming sooner than later if we stay on our current path.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM
ThunderBoat42

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete...... Kudos to HH on the innovative design. I am sure there was a lot of testing before bringing to release.
So, why can't there be a push to build the entire engine in the US? Fox has had to suspend engine production due to overseas 'cheap' products.
I am in the process of locating a 90cc class engine. Any future plans in this size? Single or in-line twin?

Seriously, looking back in time until now, the US needs to bring it back home. Cost will go done the more who do. I personally will spend more knowing somethings made here. Build the entire engine in US will be worth $100 more to me.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM
madsenw
My Feedback: (5)

Default arrival date 62i

Pete do you know when it's out?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:30 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Jimmy and I are at the factory now supervising the final
production and testing steps on each engine. We will be shipping to our customers by May 15-20.

Pete
Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Pete,

How about a video?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.