Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

REVIEW! New RCGF 26CC Beam Mount engine

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

REVIEW! New RCGF 26CC Beam Mount engine

Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captmicom
Jeremy,

Thanks for lighting a fire... Your efforts have made me want to try to get good quality videos of these engines in action again. I do understand the frustration you were talking about when you were trying to do your video. If I can get my Analog head out of my Digital ass and get back to the world of Ones and Zeros that I served for so many years, I will get some good video of all three of the planes with the RCGF engines in them. Stay tuned.......
Well Im glad I could be some sort of inspiration. I found my video to be pretty hideous. From the guy talking behind the camera to the camera itself. I cleared my throat a million times and said "umm" about 2 million. Very annoying to a viewer. And I really wish my Canon 7D used a different formant. Its a professional camera that I used for sports photography, but it took forever to convert file formats, and when I did, it cut off my videos at 5 minutes for some reason. It was very frustrating because it takes amazing footage and makes the production look really nice and professional. Not that the setting or actor look anything near professional. But it looks nicer.

Im sure I speak for everyone when I say that we look forward to seeing your videos! (Ahem...videos of a 50cc Raven..coughing noise...ahem...)

Jeremy
Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Captmicom

You got it... I will dig it out of retirement put some new batts in it and try to video it again..
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 PM
mach2

Retirement? Hmm, sounds like she needs a new home...Haha!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Captmicom

I might get yelled at... The airframe was my Christmas present two years ago..... But then maybe not.... She has not been in the air for over a year and a half.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:18 PM
mach2

Well i really want a white one with either the green or purple bird on top. Shoot me a price if you can get me one.

You know what would be cool is a 30cc Raven and put the RGCF 26cc BM on it and keep it super light. I know a lot of the new 30cc planes weigh nearly the same as the common 20cc (65"-70" wingspan) planes. So with that motor, light weight and lots of wing area, youd have an awesome floaty airplane...
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Captmicom

Yup it would be a floater...... I will let you know on the white one when Kim and crew get back to work...
Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thinking along the same lines. Chop 8oz (pretty easily) off the nose of a 30cc plane, and even if you do loose a LITTLE bit of power, you'll still have more than you know what to do with most of the time?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM
mach2

It would be a neat experiment. So I look forward to seeing the 30cc sbach flying with the 26cc BM. However I tend to like to over power my planes.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Captmicom

There was a time that I liked to do that too, But I have been hooked up with some fellow flyers in Italy. The ARF planes of today are getting extremely lite. I watch them flying more with less and it is making me re-think the way I set up my planes.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:03 PM
mach2

Originally Posted by Captmicom
There was a time that I liked to do that too, But I have been hooked up with some fellow flyers in Italy. The ARF planes of today are getting extremely lite. I watch them flying more with less and it is making me re-think the way I set up my planes.
Yup. Unfortunately my old Goldberg Edge aint real light. Those new 30cc and 50cc are crazy light...
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 AM
ahicks

One way to reinforce that "less is more" theory, is to try out an elec. foamie profile? If you haven't done this yet, one of those should give plenty of insight into "crazy" light!

To emphasize that thought, the hardest thing to get used to is landing one of the foamies in the 40" to 50" range. Your timing is not going to be ready for a plane with NO forward momentum to carry you through the flare. I'm here to tell you, this WILL make for some pretty ugly landings early on? Consider a knife edge hover or harrier in just a light breeze?

Point being, all else being equal, the lighter plane is ALWAYS the better flyer. Especially when looking at these 20 and smaller 30cc powered planes, 8oz of nose weight is a big deal!

Consider the difference in a Quadra powered sport plane, vs. a later model 35cc swinging nearly the same size prop? I think that's about what we are talking about here, only on just a little smaller scale (smaller engines and planes)? That's my thought anyway, FWIW. -Al
Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Captmicom

Right on Big Al.... So here we go to RC landing 101 again... I think it will be a fun class.. A 96" wing span Super "D" with an RCGF 20cc for power. I will let you all know how it fly. I should make it to the field with it this week end.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM
mach2

Oh man. Thats gonna be cool! Youve gotta get some video!

as for lighter always flies better, i think youd have guys who live in areas with daily high winds who would argue against that premise. But, in ideal conditions, you are correct.

im still waiting on my digital servos to arrive. I didnt want to set up my rudder system with my hitec 645 just to have to pull it out and put the new servo in. So hopefully i will get it soon and be able to give some flight reviews with engine performance info.

Jeremy
Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Al flings that little thing around in the crazy winds we have here in Michigan. He's gotten quite good at it, but I can attest to those less than stellar landings as I've witnessed a few. You would be surprised how much noise a little foamy makes when it pancakes into the ground. He'll have it going again the next day though. It must be nice to be able to repair your engine mount with two popsicle sticks.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 AM
ahicks

Oh Good Lord. Well, I guess the popsicle stick repair secret is out of the bag now. Regarding the landings, most of the guys I fly with regularly don't even look up when they hear that sound anymore (in Mi and Fl.!). It's that noise, followed shortly by a muttered, somewhat negative comment (that generally designates significant damage has occurred), that starts to draw a little extra attention? I know it's just going to be a few minutes to repair, so that's not a big deal. It's more the embarrassment of having to walk out onto the field to retrieve it that bugs me. The "walk of shame"??

-Al
Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 AM
irocbsa

At least you crash your planes on the field and don't have to do the "marathon of shame" that I frequently find myself doing.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 AM
ahicks

Really. The lesson I'll never forget is the one learned regarding why you don't have elec. retracts on the same battery as the receiver/flight pack? That was a long distance lesson for sure?

-Al
Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 AM
irocbsa

That one wasn't even the furthest away! The worst one was the Focke Wulf that sheared the elevator clevis. That was probably 1/2 mile away through the thickest, nastiest swamp land around the field. The 90 degree heat that day didn't help either.

Last edited by irocbsa; 02-14-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 PM
mach2

Joe, how'd that Super D flight go? And did you get a chance to locate a spinner adapter nut for the 26ccBM? I still dont even know the thread size on the prop shaft. My plan was to go to a local nut and bolt shop to see if they have anything that would work.

For my plane, Ive run into little hiccups here and there. Plus my dad got diagnosed with lung cancer so Ive been dealing with family stuff the last week.

Jeremy
Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Captmicom

Hey Jeremy,

I did not get a chance to fly it yet. I will need to wait until Monday to fly it. We have an electric fun fly this week end. As for the prop shaft adaptor I have made you one. The bolt is a standard size 8mm x1.25 thread pitch. How big of a spinner are you putting on it? I need to make sure that the adaptor is not too tall.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 PM
mach2

Oh wow. Thanks! Im using a tru-turn big bird spinner. Its 3" in diameter by 3" in length.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM
mach2

Hey Joe, i sent you an email about the spinner nut.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM
irocbsa

Originally Posted by mach2
Plus my dad got diagnosed with lung cancer so Ive been dealing with family stuff the last week.

Jeremy
That's awful. I hope everything turns out well for him and your family.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 PM
mach2

Thank you...
Old 02-24-2014, 06:42 PM
mach2

Also, i plan to maiden this thing thursday, finally. Would be wednesday but my wife and I both have dr appointments on that day. :-(

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.