Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

REVIEW! New RCGF 26CC Beam Mount engine

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

REVIEW! New RCGF 26CC Beam Mount engine

Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well fellas, nothing goes according to plan. The weather has been very stormy. It's been raining and winds up to 40mph, gusting to 70mph. I can't complain about it because its been a real dry winter and we really need the rain. So it's all good. Unfortunately I go back on duty tomorrow, and my buddy is getting married on sunday so Im going to be working for him on Mon and Tues so he can go on his honeymoon. So that's going to put me on duty for 6 days. I may take the last shift off, so I may only be on for 4. Hopefully the nasty weather will have passed by then and I can get the maiden done. We're going to see if our son's friend's parents will take our youngest after school for a play day. That way my wife can go with me for the maiden and take some video.

During a break in the weather, I was able to take some photos with my Canon 7D (the camera I intended to made the initial video with). The Goldberg Edge is a real nice plane. They supply a really ugly blue plastic spinner. I've got a 3" Tru-turn spinner that makes a huge difference in the appearance. So here are some photos for you guys in the meantime...

Jeremy

IMG_3081 by Jeremy-l, on Flickr

IMG_3076 by Jeremy-l, on Flickr

IMG_3068 by Jeremy-l, on Flickr

IMG_3063 by Jeremy-l, on Flickr

IMG_3045 by Jeremy-l, on Flickr

IMG_3043 by Jeremy-l, on Flickr

Last edited by mach2; 02-28-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 PM
mach2

Since Im at it, I may as well share some photos of the engine and throttle/choke setup...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140213_203816.jpg
Views:	2863
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	1973687   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140213_203759.jpg
Views:	2654
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	1973688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140213_203708.jpg
Views:	2593
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	1973689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140213_203651.jpg
Views:	2524
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	1973690   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140213_203628.jpg
Views:	2482
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	1973691  

Last edited by mach2; 03-01-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM
mach2

Hey Joe, Ive sent you a couple emails but they aren't going through. What's up with your email?

Jeremy
Old 03-01-2014, 05:19 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, she's lookin good anyway! If you can't fly, might as well be stylin! Nicely done pics.....

Tried the links, and no joy. Maybe just me?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 AM
mach2

Thanks Al? (Sorry, I had to use the question mark to rib you a bit haha)

When I uploaded them they were showing as pictures in the post, not as links. Not sure why the change. I put them back up via my phone. Hopefully they stay visable.

Jeremy
Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 PM
mach2

Ok. I've been busy and apologise, but I know I'm more frustrated than anyone about not getting this bird up yet. I went out and ran the engine some more today (it ran great again and starts really easy), as well as some range checks to make sure everything is air worthy. I just need to secure the fuel tank a little better because it was vibrating over and hitting the throttle rod. I'll fix that tonight and will be flying the plane in the morning!

I was bored while waiting for my food order, so I checked my email. I got an email from BP hobbies with some new special deals. So I looked up the 26cc BM. They have it listed on sale for $151 due to OVERSTOCK. I found that interestingly funny because they haven't had it in stock in about 3 months. They won't need to worry about having to actually sell it at this price since they don't have any, Haha.

Hopefully I'll get video up tomorrow of some successful flights...

Last edited by mach2; 03-16-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Captmicom

That is funny..... Anyway Jeremy Very Nice looking plane... Can you say Bullet!!!! I look forward to the videos..
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 PM
mach2

This airframe is a slug compared to the Revolver. I could only imagine how fast the Revolver would be with this engine and something like a 15x12 prop on it. It's scary fast with the DLE20 and a 15x8...
Old 03-19-2014, 03:22 PM
mach2

Alrighty fellas. Good news and bad news. I was able to finally maiden the plane! As expected, the motor ran well and very strong. I was expecting it to be a little on the rich side when I got it in the air, and it was. Just a tad. I didn't get any accurate RPM readings from my pre flight ground tuning because my tach seemed to be on the fritz. It showed I was swinging the 17x6 Xoar at 8800rpm. So I leaned it out 1/8 of a turn, then the tach said it was spinning at 12K rpm. So Im pretty certain it wasn't accurate (probably needs a new battery).

It turned out that the plane was a bit tail heavy, and the elevators needed some down trim. So when I took off (easily at 1/2 throttle) i added full throttle once I was airborne and she went vertical and climbed like a rocket. The engine was popping just a little from being rich when I was flying around, but didn't pop when it loaded down going vertical. When I get this thing tuned right, I can only imagine the vertical performance this thing will have with the 18x6! Even while rich and the smaller 17x6, the vertical performance was outstanding!

Since you guys must be wondering at this point, why didn't I post info on performance after I tuned it. So here's why. Unfortunately, I had some hardware problems during the first flight. I noticed the ailerons twitching a little bit after about 3-4 mintutes. Then I tried to do a knife edge, the plane didn't roll and acted funny (because the plane didn't roll and the rudder yawed the plane). Then I went to make a 180 and the ailerons weren't responding consistently. I began to worry that I was having a battery or radio failure so I wanted to get it on the ground as soon as possible. Even with the ailerons partially working, I was able to get the plane on the ground with nothing more than a dinged up prop. So I am very happy to only have lost 17 bucks vs. losing the entire plane. The problem ended up being the attachment of the control horn. I used the hardware that came with the plane. There were no washers for the 4-40 screw that went through the aileron, so the screw head pulled about 1/3 of the way through and ovaled out the hole (BOTH ailerons did the same thing!). Both ailerons had about 1.5" of play in them. When I moved the stick on the radio, the ailerons were barely getting any movement. Luckily I had enough throw programmed in that I still had some amount of control. So I'm going to have to go to my LHS and get some heavy duty Du-bro control horns for all of the surfaces.

Now for the video. I asked another club member to video for me. He got the take off, then somehow turned the camera off when he thought he was recording, and had the camera on when he thought it was off. So I got sounds of the plane flying with a visual of his pants. I may post the take off if I get a little down time tonight.

Im going to fix the ailerons and get her back up. Im going to try for saturday (im on duty until friday so I wont be able to work on it until then). If not, it'll have to be tuesday. I told my wife that she has to go with me next time so she can get some good video (she's done pretty well in the past, so I've got faith)!

So anyway, my opinion of this little engine that it's more than worth the money. It starts easy, runs well and has gobs of power. Being close to the price and weight of the DLE20, I think its a better option for either a heavier plane, or when you want to have more power for something like 3D flying. The only downside I can see is that it does seem to shake the plane more than the DLE20. I dont think its as much of a balance issue than it is just that it has more compression and power...

I'll get some video and post with any updates or changes when I can.

And Joe, you gotta get this thing listed on your site so people can go on there and click the "buy now" button.

Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 03-19-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 PM
mach2

Alright! I finally got the time, the weather, and the wife lined up to get a video. So, I just felt the need to start over with the ground tuning. I got it close on the ground, and again, it's a little rich in the air. So next time out I should be able to have it running nicely. I only got one flight in today. We had another storm come in and the wind started to kick up after the flight, and I need to do some more CG adjustments. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow. Weather permitting.

Sorry for the delays, but again, my verdict is that this motor is well worth the coin. As long as it keep running the way it is now...

Here is some banter and my ground tuning...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3BE...zfV0-1cjA35yLg

And here is the flight video. The first bit isn't great, but it gets better. I started flying a little far out for the camera, and the clouds were playing with the auto focus some. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsI...=youtube_gdata

See post 66 for another video.

Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 04-03-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Larry882

Hi Jeremy,
Watched your video and have several comments. I think you are using too small a prop. I also think you are under estimating how much power these motors produce.
I have a RCGF 26CC standoff engine mounted on a Seagull Models Laser 200. I settled on an 18-8 APC prop. I flew it Monday afternoon for 4 flights. I didn't do any Tach numbers but i can hear the prop tips going supersonic. I'll be 65 in June so I'm a very conservative flyer. It has been years since I flew 4 flights in 1 day.
I first flew this plane with a OS 120 Twin with a 16-6 prop and it barley flew. At full throttle it was barley above stall speed and the motor seemed the happieist with that prop. I tried a 16-8 and the airplane flew better but the motor wasn't reliable. I had to tweak it before each flight.
My Laser weighs about 11 pounds and has a 69" wingspan. I fly it at about half throttle and am still getting used to it. This Laser is really more airplane than what I can handle at full throttle. I'm having a problem with the engine tuning and the low speed needle valve. I have had to open the low speed needle valve several times and It's currently open 2.5 turns. I'm sure this is a Walbro problem and not the engine problem. Any Ideas or comments?
Thanks,
Larry Kopecky
Conyers, Ceorgia
Old 04-02-2014, 03:30 AM
kerwin50

How does the 26 compare to the DLE 20?
Larry you may have an air leak. If the needle requires that much on a 17/6 prop then I know you have an leak or a leaky reed. So many times the botls can get over tightened on the reed block.
I'd pull the carb, an reed block look it over.
Do the reed block mod if necessary and put it back together.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait a second please. Lets not let 2 completely different engines get a big wad of confusion started here! There's a very new beam mount 26cc nobody knows much about that's on topic/being reviewed, and a second, much older design w/stand off/radial mounting that should be discussed in a different topic to prevent confusion?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 AM
mach2

Thanks Al. I'm surprised at how off often the two motors get confused. It must be due to the lack of exposure the new motor is getting. This is why I always put the "BM" behind the engine name. I wanna make sure people know exactly which motor I'm talking about, since the two engines couldn't be more different.

The26ccBM is a much stronger motor than the DLE 20, even though it's only an actual 3cc larger. The DLE is a great motor. I love mine, but if you want rat motor power in your 20cc-1.20 glow sized plane, look no further. The RCGF is the motor.

The only downside is the vibration. It doesn't seem like it's a balance problem. I think the two piston rings generate so much torque that it violently throws that piston back down.

Like a big bad custom hot rod motor with high compression. It may be balanced perfectly, but its going to shake.

When turning over the prop I can definitely feel the compression difference from my DLE. It never had this much.

The exhaust note - it sounds rowdy. Like a DLE on steroids. I think the larger stinger and crisp pop from the compression make it sound more aggressive and larger than the DLE. The DLE is slightly higher pitched in tone.

But to more directly answer the question, the RCGF absolutely pulls this plane with more authority (and it's not broken in, our even tuned to get max performance!) than the DLE. The DLE was a great motor on this plane and flew it very well. But this motor goes vertical like it doesn't know it's got a plane hooked onto it.it's too much engine really.

Oh, and the weight. I guestimated how much more it weighs. I was way off. I ended up making the plane tall heavy by moving just one servo about 5"aft. So obviously this engine isn't going to be too heavy for any plane that could be powered by the DLE. So I would say it's a perfect replacement motor, as long as you make CERTAIN that you're plane is secure and it's not going to shake apart. I'm having to make "shake proof" mods after every time I run the engine.

Hope this info is helpful to anyone else who's looking to try this motor out. I hope to get out today again and set of I can't get her tuned up right. If the rain stops. Hopefully I don't have to make a major cg adjustment and the weather holds out. Trying to get this thing tuned after one flight doesn't work. I think after last flight I should be real close. Fingers crossed

Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 04-02-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:54 PM
mach2

Alright gentlemen, and ladies if there are any following this thread. I have some excellent news! I got two flights in today before the weather really turned sour. We've got scattered rain showers coming through the area pretty much all week. Since there was an unstable air mass the winds were really shifty. Winds were anywhere from west at 5-8mph to east at 5-8mph and anything in between, changing within seconds! When I came in for my first approach I couldn't decide which way to land. I almost "took the option" and went around to land the opposite way, but before I could it switched back. Then immediately after I touched down a tailwind kicked up. Luckily it didn't to that right before touchdown.

Anyway, enough about that. My camera woman was not able to go with me, and things were going really well with the plane and the engine, so I propped up my phone to take some video so I could try and show you guys (or at least let you hear) how the engine is running. I'll get the video from my phone and uploaded to youtube sometime today.

As you know, she was a little rich the last time out so I leaned out the H about an 1/8th of a turn, and the L 1/16th of a turn. It cleaned up the top end, but the low and mid range still had a pretty noticeable burble. So before the second flight I took the L another 1/16th leaner and it cleaned it up a little more. I didn't touch the H, but the L change did help up top. It definitely had more rpm during vertical climbing. Nice...

I think just a little leaner on the L needle and I will be in tall cotton!

OH! I almost forgot to mention that I was actually able to hover for the first time! I'm super stoked since that was one of my personal short term goals for flying, and the main reason I went ahead and gave the 26ccBM a shot. The DLE could probably do it with a better pilot on the sticks and a 3D prop (was flying with a Xoar 17x6 with the DLE), but when I tried it took pretty much full power to keep it at altitude which caused it to want to torque roll and go all kinds of crazy ways. One of my attempts today as actually pretty solid (I did it three times, and two were pretty shaky) and took much less throttle than I anticipated. The first attempt, I started out on a vertical climb and kept pulling the power back and had to pull it all the way back to get the plane to stop. I didn't expect that. It turns out that the 26ccBM with hover this plane with less than half throttle with the Redwing RC 3D prop. On my solid hover, I punched the throttle to see how it would climb out, and it pulled out with very good authority. Not like one of the big 100-150cc planes you'll see, but good enough to impress me! Its not a particularly light plane, and I added some weight by mounting a few pieces of ply to mount the rudder servo, Rx and battery. Ill get a weight on her tonight...

So that's it for now. I'll be back later when I get the video on the tube!

Again, sorry for taking so long to get these results to you guys (and being long winded in my posts), but life always throws us curve balls. Hopefully the info in this thread has helped some of you to get closer to your decision to try, or not try this motor out. Either way, for now, I'm glad I took the risk on this new motor.

Jeremy

Last edited by mach2; 04-02-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 PM
mach2

Okay all. Here is the video that is more of a sound clip with a picture of the clouds. HAHA. There seems to be a delay of a second or two. Probably from the camera as well as the sound having to travel from the plane to the camera. But it's a little something for you all to see how the engine is running. It still needs a tiny bit of tweaking, but we can't expect to get a gas engine tuned within 3 flights. I think the important thing here is that it is responding well to adjustments and not giving me any headaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ML...ature=youtu.be

Cheers,
Jeremy
Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 AM
mach2

To Larry882. I know you are running the old motor. I dont know much about it other than what I've heard, which was that it was problematic and was underpowered (which is why not many guys want to jump on this new one, and the reason I'm sharing my experience on the thread). I'm going to venture to say that the new engine has more power. Either way, the 17x6 is recommended for break in, so that's what I started out with since I had one on hand. I got the Xoar and Redwing 18x6s in anticipation they would work well. I flew the Xoar monday, and the Redwing today. The Xoar was okay, and the Redwing 3D prop pulled very well. Im positive that it could easily swing an 18x8, but im looking for more pull than speed. And for length, I dont have much room to play with, so I think I'd end up getting too many prop strikes on landings from the main gear flexing.

IMG_3220 by Jeremy-l, on Flickr

IMG_3218 by Jeremy-l, on Flickr

Last edited by mach2; 04-03-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:31 PM
mach2

Weighed the plane today. It's right about 10.1lbs dry.

Also got another couple flights on it today. I leaned the bottom out a tiny bit more (another 1/16th turn). its still got some burble, but its running strong. I think Im going to keep it where its at for a few more flights and then pull the plug to see what it tells me. I'll pull it out today and check it, but im sure its going to be pretty black. But for now, I'd rather run it a little richer to prevent any dead sticks.

Im having some issues with the aileron control hardware. The right wing's loosened up again! I think its because its shaking too much due to a little play in the Hitec servos. Both of them have it. It's kinda weird because they are new so the metal gears should all be good. I have some HD Power digitals that I ordered for the ailerons so I'm going to pull out the 645s and put the HD Powers in. Hopefully that play being removed will keep them from shaking so much and loosening up the control horns.

Jeremy
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 PM
mach2

Hello everyone, I thought I'd give an update on how things are going. Nothing big has changed. Ive got 10 flights on her now (I'd like to get out more often, but it is what it is). I think I've got it tuned nicely. It has the normal gas engine "pop" every once in a while when flying below half throttle, but not much. Im still running the Redwing 18x6 prop. Im probably going to try a Xoar 17x8 on it. The Xoar 17x6 seemed to have a little more pep (quicker reaction to throttle changes), while the 18x6 has more pull. I have a feeling that I may still like the Redwing 18x6 better, but why not at least give the 17x8 a shot.

I switched oils from Maxima 927 (castor oil) at 32:1 to Amsoil "Dominator" full synthetic at 50:1. I figured I may need to do some tuning adjustments, but it ran flawlessly as is. The Maxima was a little dirty and spit quite a bit of oil out on the plane. The switch to Amsoil really cleaned things up.

So that's about it. It's still starting up easily, idles well and runs like a top with just a little over a half gallon through her.

Just wondering, has anyone else jumped in and tried this motor out yet?

Jeremy
Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 AM
Captmicom

Hi Dr. "J",

I am glad that the little RCGF is still working well for you. I am still flying my "Pancake 54" with my RCGF 26cc beam mount on it. I have not been able to go out much this year due to the winds we are having down here. By the time I get to the field it can be blowing 20 mph gusting to 40. Just as an FYI to you guys not that it matters, I an talking with RCGF and it looks like I will become the official RCGF service center for the US and Canada. That just means the work will be on their dime now and not mine.

Call me about the Raven..... Maybe we can do something about that...
Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 AM
Captmicom

Hi gang,

Sorry I missed some of the talk about the RCGF 26cc "BEAM MOUNT" vibration. The main factor for this is mounting a "Gas" engine like you would a 'Nitro" engine. Stop and think about it for a minute. Gas engines tend to produce more torque then Nitro engines. We could go into all of the science but not tonight my head hurts... Bottom line, for many years we have mounted these torquey gas engines with mounting systems ( i.e. cup mounts and standoffs) that help to distribute that torque or shake over a larger area on the firewall. With a beam mount you only have one plain that the engine is mounted to. Less contact points on the engine means more shake or vibration. I don't see this as a bad thing for the flyers that have good PM skills. On the other hand the flyers that put a plane together and then never tighten a bolt on it again, this will be a problem as in quicker re-kitting because of things loosing up and falling off sooner. The RCGF 26cc beam mount is a little hotrod engine... Enjoy it treat it with respect and it will give you years of service.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:22 PM
mach2

Originally Posted by Captmicom
Hi Dr. "J",

I am glad that the little RCGF is still working well for you. I am still flying my "Pancake 54" with my RCGF 26cc beam mount on it. I have not been able to go out much this year due to the winds we are having down here. By the time I get to the field it can be blowing 20 mph gusting to 40. Just as an FYI to you guys not that it matters, I an talking with RCGF and it looks like I will become the official RCGF service center for the US and Canada. That just means the work will be on their dime now and not mine.

Call me about the Raven..... Maybe we can do something about that...
Congrats Joe. So now you've pretty much got all of north America locked up.

Ohhh man. The Raven! I probably can't afford it, but I'll call when I get a chance. You know I love them Ravens. Especially one with a 60cc twin...
Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
lean-run

Hi,
Have a couple of RCGF 20cc BM engines, just wondering if the 26cc BM has the same mounting foot-print?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Captmicom

Hi Lean Run,

Yes it does have the same foot print. It looks just like the RCGF 20cc Beam V1.. There is a new 20cc beam that is the same foot print as the 15cc Beam mount called "The 20cc SB.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 PM
lean-run

Thanks for that. The 20cc has loads of power, but good to know if I ever get the need that the 26 will bolt in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.