Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Gas Engine Selection for The World Models 1/4 Scale Piper J-3 Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engine Selection for The World Models 1/4 Scale Piper J-3 Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Jim Hargett
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Engine Selection for The World Models 1/4 Scale Piper J-3 Cub?

I'm new to gas engines. Recently I purchased a World Models 1/4 scale
Piper J-3 Cub. The manual recommends 0.91 cu. in. displacement for a 2
-stroke engine, or a 1.20-1.60 cu. in. engine for a 4 stroke engine. The flying
weight for this Cub 14-16 lbs.; the wingspan is 104 inches.

I definitely want to buy a gas engine for this plane, but I'm open as to 2-stroke
or 4-stroke. I would also much prefer an engine whose carburetor mounts in
the rear (rather than on the side).

Here are just some of the engines I've been looking at:

Saito FG-21 (4-stroke gas)
OS GT-22 (2-stroke gas)
OS GT-33 (2-stroke gas)
DLE 35RA (2-stroke gas)

Any ideas, suggestions, or recommendations on engine choice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

jim

PS: If you respond to this tread, thanks! Just please .... if you recommend a particular gas engine,
tell me why. Thanks again!!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the DLE 35RA so you do not have to destroy your cowl for the muffler.

Another choice would be a Quadra 35, they are rear exhaust but a little heaver if you do not mind the extra weight for just good sports flying.

Another good choice is the ZP38, rear exhaust and will last forever.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...engine-ZENEP38

Milton

Last edited by BadAzzMaxx; 01-29-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built a Sig 1/4 scale Cub, full wing (108" I think it is) and have a DLE-20 in it. That is plenty of power for me. In fact if I want to cruise around at a scale speed I'm under 1/4 throttle. I bought the J-Tec Pitts muffler for it and the whole package fit's very nicely under the hood. I'm very happy with it. Now, if you are looking to do 3D, then the DLE-35RA would be the way to go IMHO.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I agree that a 35cc engine would be a bit overkill for that plane.

AV8TOR
Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Just about any of the current crop of 30 or 35 size engines are a perfect match for a 1/4 CUB. Seems like a lot of power to many people, but most of these planes weigh 14 -17 pounds so the power is not excessive. Couple that to something like a 19-6 or 20-6 in the case of the 35 and you can have the best of both worlds ..... throttle back and fly around all day in a very scale like manner or push the throttle forward and climb like there is no tomorrow.

This size engine will fully conceal in the cowl. Of course the rear exhaust DLE 35 has the exhaust in the rear but something like the DLE30 will also conceal the exhaust if a wrap around Pitts muffler is used.

I'm a CUB nut of sorts and my current one flies with a DLE 30 that has a Jtec wrap around Pitts muffler. The muffler easily fits well within the cowl. This plane was also flown with a Saito 180 for many years and then a Syssa 180. I grew to hate the Saito because of the exhaust goo, the expensive fuel and difficult hot starting. The Syssa flew the airplane quite well but I'll just say that engine was an expensive mistake and leave it at that. The DLE30 was easily the best of the bunch. I'm building a new CUB this winter and it will be powered with the DLE35.

An added advantage of this size engine is that it balances the plane quite well w/o extra weight.

Of course, something like the DLE20 would power this size CUB quite well but I hate the beam mounting of these engines (personal preference). It is so much easier to mount the engines on standoffs. So overall my recommendation would be the DLE30 or 35. Of course the OS engines would be excellent alternatives but at a greater cost.

Last edited by Truckracer; 01-29-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Originally Posted by Truckracer
An added advantage of this size engine is that it balances the plane quite well w/o extra weight.

Of course, something like the DLE20 would power this size CUB quite well but I hate the beam mounting of these engines (personal preference). It is so much easier to mount the engines on standoffs. So overall my recommendation would be the DLE30 or 35. Of course the OS engines would be excellent alternatives but at a greater cost.
Those are excellent points. I had to add a lot of weight to balance mine out. I had to use the H9 mounts and modify them to fit in the cowl and they took up more room as well. So the standoff mounts would be a plus. The added power of the 30 could also pull you out of a tight situation. Thinking about it now, I would consider DLE30.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Jim Hargett

Guys:

Thanks so, so much for all the useful input here! I really appreciate it. Right now I'm
leaning towards the DLE 35RA, mainly because of the price and the power. Since I will
likely be installing this engine on a Goldberg Anniversary Cub with Super Floats,
the extra power provided by the DLE 35RA seems like a good idea.

If any of you think I am off base here, let me know.

Thanks again,

jim
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

I don't think you're off base. I haven't flown floats, but from what I here, you will want a minimum of 30. The 35RA is probably a good choice.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Jim Hargett

Cub Flyer Fresno:

Thanks fior the additional input.

Best wishes,

Jim
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by Jim Hargett
Guys:

Thanks so, so much for all the useful input here! I really appreciate it. Right now I'm
leaning towards the DLE 35RA, mainly because of the price and the power. Since I will
likely be installing this engine on a Goldberg Anniversary Cub with Super Floats,
the extra power provided by the DLE 35RA seems like a good idea.

If any of you think I am off base here, let me know.

Thanks again,

jim
The DLE 35 might be a bit large for the Goldberg Cub as that airplane is quite a bit under 1/4 scale. The 35 will still fit in the cowl though but the DLE20 would fit even better. I had a Valley View 20 in a Great Planes 60 CUB for awhile. That airplane is very similar in size to the Goldberg and I thought it was a good match. It would have had plenty of power for floats.

Ground clearance could be a problem on the Goldberg Cub with larger props. Something to consider.

Last edited by Truckracer; 01-30-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

The DLE 35 might be a bit large for the Goldberg Cub as that airplane is quite a bit under 1/4 scale. The 35 will still fit in the cowl though but the DLE20 would fit even better. I had a Valley View 20 in a Great Planes 60 CUB for awhile. That airplane is very similar in size to the Goldberg and I thought it was a good match. It would have had plenty of power for floats.

Ground clearance could be a problem on the Goldberg Cub with larger props. Something to consider.
Well, with that in mind and if using the DLE20, would he need to add as much weight? I had to add a ton on my Sig 1/4 scale full span. I have a solid brass spinner plus I molded some lead and mounted on either side of the engine mounts. But then I did modify the stab and used heavier brace wires than the plans called for. I was going for a more scale look. And to get back to my original post, the DLE20 in mine is way more than enough power, but then I'm not float flying either.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0749.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1963723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0802.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1963724  
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Truckracer

My Great Planes 60 CUB balanced with the VV 20 and Pitts muffler. My larger Hanger 9 1/4 CUB balanced with the DLE30 and Pitts muffler. No additional weight was required.

I'll know in a few weeks how my new modified SIG CUB will balance with the DLE35. Right now I don't expect to add any balance weight. To be fair, mine won't have as much detail work as your's has as I built mine to be an everyday, beat the heck out of it sort of airplane. I do like the rib stitching and other detail work on yours, just not for me this time around. I'm sure that detail work and finish added to the tail weight. Very nice CUB by the way! Every RCer needs a CUB, or two, or three ........
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

... Every RCer needs a CUB, or two, or three ........
Can't argue with ya on that one!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Jim Hargett one bit you left out is flying style. Example, I like my Cubs to prop hang once in awhile. It does sound like you are leaning toward an engine that will do that.
From your list would go with the DLE 35.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:37 AM
Jim Hargett

Thanks again, guys. I'm now pretty sure I will go with the DLE 35.

Cub Flyer Fresco: my apologies: the DLE 35 will go on my World Models 1/4 scale Cub, and NOT on my
Goldberg Anniversary Cub.

As for the Goldberg Cub with floats, that will be powered by an OS 91 Surpass 4 stroke.

Again, thanks for all the useful input here.

Jim
Old 02-02-2014, 02:52 AM
dadragon

rcgf makes a sweet lil 30cc twin I am thinking about replacing the G-23 thats in my 1/4 sig cub
Old 02-02-2014, 02:54 AM
dadragon

rcgf makes a sweet lil 30cc twin I am thinking about replacing the G-23 thats in my 1/4 sig cub .it is 3.7 HP.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Jim Hargett

Dadragon:

Thanks for the suggestion. The RCGF 30cc Twin does indeed look ideal for my World Models 1/4 scale Cub.
Do you know anyone who has actually flown with this engine? It's seems to be new on the market, so I don't
see much in the way of flights, reviews, and so on, on YouTube and here. Thanks.

jim
Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 AM
dadragon

Jim: all I can say is buy it and try it, it all has to start some where so lets go for it.Geo.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Jim Hargett

Dadragon: Thanks for the encouragement! I will go for it!!!