Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

OS Announce Gasoline Glow Plug Engine (Feb 2014)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

OS Announce Gasoline Glow Plug Engine (Feb 2014)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 AM
CustomPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Announce G5 Gasoline Glow Plug and GGT15 Engine (Feb 2014)

I was just looking on OS's Japanese Web Site and found they have announced a new version of the GT15 Gasoline Engine.

This is the GGT15 and uses a new G5 glow plug.

Here is the details: http://www.os-engines.co.jp/2014/140127/index.html

Last edited by CustomPC; 02-03-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that a 15cc engine or a 2.4cc (.15 cu in) engine?
I like the idea of using glow plugs on gasoline engines. The simplicity of it all.
Since my NV-Engines 6.5cc gas engine works so well, I can see these glow plug gasoline engines as being quite popular.
I wonder if the glow plug is a standard size or not, or did they change the size on it? It would be pretty cool to try the plug in something else to see if it worked or not.

Last edited by earlwb; 06-14-2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CustomPC
I was just looking on OS's Japanese Web Site and found they have announced a new version of the GT15 Gasoline Engine.

This is the GGT15 and uses a new G5 glow plug.

Here is the details: http://www.os-engines.co.jp/2014/140127/index.html
Like it ! But, is it just me or can you fellows also not read the print ?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:37 PM
pilotpete2

It was all Greek to me
But then I could "read" the pictures
I've handled the GT15 (15cc) and this sure looks like the same engine with a different head for the glow plug, rather than the CM-6 that the GT15 uses.
Yes, there would be a couple of ounces saved over the ignition version, but my concern would be the cost and longevity of this special glow plug.
It will be interesting to see if Tower brings in this engine, and if so, how it stacks up with GT15
Pete
Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, wonder if a head/plug change is all that's required to make the sparky into a glow set-up on the 15's. The weight savings is fairly large but not at the expense of power output or field friendliness...

Would be great if the OS 33 could be outfitted this way and still be as friendly and strong as it is.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Seems like returning to a glow plug would be one giant step backwards regardless of the fuel used. Certainly it would be nice to get rid of the ignition box, cabling and power source. But .... a well timed ignition source provides so many advantages that outweigh any disadvantages of having to carry the extra equipment around. I won't be standing in line for one of these new engines.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:52 PM
pilotpete2

In 1946, the introduction of the glow plug was a game changer. I doubt any of us would want to go back to the spark technology of that day
I have had a lot of enjoyment running a 15cc gas engine (EVO 15) At that size, I'll pay the weight penalty for the new style smaller ignition module and a Tech-Aero IBEC. Where I see a real advantage for this gas glow plug is in smaller displacement engines of 10cc and smaller.
Always nice to see new technologies coming out
Pete
Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotpete2
In 1946, the introduction of the glow plug was a game changer. I doubt any of us would want to go back to the spark technology of that day
I have had a lot of enjoyment running a 15cc gas engine (EVO 15) At that size, I'll pay the weight penalty for the new style smaller ignition module and a Tech-Aero IBEC. Where I see a real advantage for this gas glow plug is in smaller displacement engines of 10cc and smaller.
Always nice to see new technologies coming out
Pete
I guess I have to agree regarding the smaller engines. But I see a down side to that also. The extremely critical fuel / air nature of gasoline compared to methanol based fuels would tend to make the already somewhat finicky small engines even more so. We have some excellent smaller glo engines and existing glo fuels are not overly expensive when you consider the reduced thirst of these smaller engines. Why work on gas conversions of these engines? The only thing you're really getting rid of is the glo mess at the expense of odor and reduced power. Also, are smaller engines really that popular these days? For anything under 40 size, its pretty much all electric around this area. Oh well, maybe I'm just being an old hard head.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:48 PM
pilotpete2

Well, you may be an old hard head, but you're pretty much right on the money
Our club is certainly going that way. Most of the new folks coming in are going electric. As much as I like electrics, I just can't quite bring myself to consider an electric powered model in the 20cc class, but maybe in time I'll try one.
Pete
Old 06-17-2014, 07:46 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Seems like returning to a glow plug would be one giant step backwards regardless of the fuel used. Certainly it would be nice to get rid of the ignition box, cabling and power source. But .... a well timed ignition source provides so many advantages that outweigh any disadvantages of having to carry the extra equipment around. I won't be standing in line for one of these new engines.
I tend to agree...so many unknowns. And since all of my set-ups are optimized for pipes, having glow ignition up front is likely to throw a monkey wrench in my stuff. Nevertheless, I probably would try a GT33 glow equipped, in a piped set-up, just to see for meself
Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 AM
RoyR

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Like it ! But, is it just me or can you fellows also not read the print ?
Me either, I can only read japanese in cursives
Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 AM
RoyR

I just looked at the manual for this engine. http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/ggt15-manual.pdf there is one thing that will keep me from buying this engine. You can not flip start it. You have to use a starter.
Other than the price of glow fuel, one reason I switched to Gas and electric was the convenience of going to the flight line carrying only my airplane and transmitter. (our flight line is a long walk from the pit) Now to add having to carry a starter again will hold me off on buying one of these.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Mako17

Originally Posted by RoyR
Me either, I can only read japanese in cursives
Google Chrome can translate it for ya!!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:42 PM
bcchi

I guess I have to agree regarding the smaller engines. But I see a down side to that also. The extremely critical fuel / air nature of gasoline compared to methanol based fuels would tend to make the already somewhat finicky small engines even more so. We have some excellent smaller glo engines and existing glo fuels are not overly expensive when you consider the reduced thirst of these smaller engines. Why work on gas conversions of these engines? The only thing you're really getting rid of is the glo mess at the expense of odor and reduced power. Also, are smaller engines really that popular these days? For anything under 40 size, its pretty much all electric around this area. Oh well, maybe I'm just being an old hard head.
They have been trying this for years.They must no something we don't.I have tried it but I don't no very much.Enya made a big splash on this a year or so ago.Have not heard much about it sense.
BCCHI
Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Mikola

what's the price of the G5 glow plug and how long will it last ?
Old 07-12-2014, 02:43 AM
TimBle

Is anyone running one of these yet?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Conrod

Originally Posted by Mikola
what's the price of the G5 glow plug and how long will it last ?
Towers listing at $12.99, estimated arrival July.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never mind, wrong link
Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no extra equipment to carry around W/CDI. The same type batteries used for e Rx can be used for the ignition. A simple switch is all that is needed for the system & the throttle trim can be used for shut-down.

Indeed, glow would add to the equipment required since a glow driver will have to be carried. If you add on board glow you have really complicated things.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Bcolici

In stock at T.H. and $ 50 more without a cdi!!!
People have been modding gas glow mixture on gas engines for a bit using a os 4 stroke plug sans ignition...
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM
ideas

anyone flying this yet ?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Mikola

if I install this special plug on my glow engines will I be able to run them on gasoline ?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikola
if I install this special plug on my glow engines will I be able to run them on gasoline ?

You may need a different carb.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

If you look at the parts listing it uses the same nickel plated laner as the 91 fx. Will a nickel plated liner hold up at a 50:1 mix? For $400 I think it should be chrome plated. Or better yet cast iron or steel like some of the old Enyas. I admire their engineering prowess but think they have a lot of nerve doing this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.