Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Turnigy 52cc and HP50cc engines

Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 PM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy 52cc and HP50cc engines

Ok, so sick of glow....the MDSI have i could blow up.... so Ihave a GPPatty Wagstaff 25% extra. Let me give you a little idea of my flying habits. Iam NOTTOMCRUISE.... no flying to the "Danger Zone" for this guy, Idont do 3D. So Iwill fly inverted, loops rolls and a high level knife edge. Nothing crazy. ALLI want to know is will the below engines do 2 things....
1. Will it run well, will it run consistantly and will it work(even though its China scrap )
2. Will it last for a while

Ijsut need an engine that wont be pushed hard, and that will work. Iknow there are a lot of guys that will say... "Go with a DA 50 or whatever", but Ireally am looking to just power with gas... If it is 100%a piece of scrap tell me. I know some people would have good and others bad stories. Looking for a average between the 2.... Please help... PLease keep on subject, these 2 engines or maybe on in the same general price range that is better. Iknow I have the money to get something better, but Iam a casual flyer and dont need a 10,000.00 engine to make my plane do Upside-down-knife edge- unpside-down loop-d-do loop inverted S's.. .....THANKSahead of time!

PS The second looks like it may be a better quality.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s....2kw+_Overbore

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...s_Engine_5.5HP
Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Turnigy 52cc and HP50cc engines

First either will give you MORE than enough power.

If you look you'll see that the 52 has a RC EXL ignition, it's considered the best ignition there is by a lot of people. The 50 has a funny blue ignition, I've read some people say it's junk, I haven't had one so that's just what I've read. The 52 is a piston port induction, it fits in a radial cowl best, but I think it'll fit in a Patty fine. The 50 is reed valves, in my opinion just something else for them to screw up in a cheap engine.
I just went through this on the 26cc engines and bought two of the Turnigy 26cc rather than the cheaper 26, because of the ignition mainly, but also to avoid poorly made reed valves and those problems.

My two 26cc engines, one of the sensors was NFG, (poo happens), and the engine I could check the timing on was set at about 38* rather than the 30* it should have been. The muffler's holes where spaced to close, but by drilling them out a little I made it fit. Other than the problems listed the engines look well made, I mounting it now so I'll be able to test it in a couple of days.

If you are willing to spend a couple extra minutes checking the timing, and probably having to set it correctly, you can save a lot of money buying these cheap engines.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:12 PM
CastorTroy2150

I think I will get the .52 as it has the better ignition. I am mechanically savy as well...but how hard is it to adjust the timing on one of these and how do you check/change it?is it risky in relation to damaging the engine??! Sorry if this message has a lot of mis-spelled words I am typing on a blackberry haha.thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: CastorTroy2150

how hard is it to adjust the timing on one of these and how do you check/change it?

Very easy, The whole thing takes 5 minutes, but I'm fading fast,it's past my bedtime, I'll explain tomorrow.

is it risky in relation to damaging the engine??!
No.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 AM
aussiesteve

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=523001

Timing is easy - that unit makes it even easier.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=523001

Timing is easy - that unit makes it even easier.
Steve

That's nice, if I was an importer I'd definitely get one, but not for a few engines. Like you say "Timing is easy."
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the HP 50 had a rotary valve and no reeds.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Man it sure seems like your putting a lot more power on that 25% than you'll ever need. An MLD 28 cc should pull that size plane through anything you can think of.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 AM
CastorTroy2150

Is a 50cc really to much?! rated for  34-50cc on towers site and it had a 2.18 glow engine on it....not sure any more wisdom if a 28cc would be more then enough? I havent seen one person put an engine this small on this plane!?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
thevirginian

A good 40cc should be plenty. A 50cc will be more than enough. Definitely an overkill for this airplane.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 PM
61ahs

The Turnigy 50 HPhas a rotary valve, not reeds. And the "blue" ignition works just fine.

Rick
Old 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM
mrbigg

This plane weighs 15 to 16 pounds with a DA 50.  It's not a lightweight for sure. I'd want a good, strong 50 in mine. DL55 comes to mind. The 52HP was looking promising with the rotary valve, but I think it has bearing problems. Go to the Giants and look it up.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
CastorTroy2150

OK  Made up my mind Turnigy 52 it is. now I am new to gas engines.... The engine has the muffler, and starter. I will need an ignition batt ect. Please gentlemen, post some reccomended set ups for everything I will need to convert this baby. Fuel line and tank I have covered... I need to know about electrical ect. Maybe even post some links to the batteries and stuff you are suggesting. Would like to run a lipo for both the ignition and reciever. You get what I mean, FIRE AWYA BOYS! and thanks for all the wisdom so far.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 PM
hamman
My Feedback: (61)

This will answer your gas engine setup questions http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm
 My 52 starts easy and runs smooth but way less power then my DL 50 which has been flawless. Hamman

Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: 61ahs

The Turnigy 50 HPhas a rotary valve, not reeds. And the "blue" ignition works just fine.

Rick
This scared me away from the XYZ ignitions:

NNNNN-JOY!
-Reply from nowinkk (123 points);
Well, talking about performance, I have no idea about this new engine, but the CDI is confirmed ****...:-( I had bad experience with this XYZ CDI. The stock one that came with the engine was faulty and even the replacement also last only a couple of flights.

It was in their engine reviews, which shows one of two things:
a) they don't read them.
b) they let the people give you the real scoop on the engines.

I vote for a.

I read the ad for the 50 and never saw anything about rotory valve, just DL killer, you would think they would say it wasn't reed valve like the DL.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 PM
CastorTroy2150

Idont need a powerhouse, and this is in no way to burn anyone, Idont need to know how much of a powerhouse a DLis or how awsome The SUPERX3000 1000,000cc engine is, I jsut needed a simple answer, is the Turnigy 52cc reliable, powerful enough for this plane. All Iwant to do is fly, do a few loops and rolls. Thats it, Iam in no way broke but Idont have the green it takes to Fly to the danger zone all tom cruise style and fail, nore do I have the nerves for it hahahaha...... And I just wanted some personal opinions on setup for electonics on the engine, not a thread. Good info there but Im looking for some more info from the people in this thread. If you want to refer me to a thread on the issue, no offense but no thanks. Iam very aware that there is more then likely 5000 threads on this question, I dont want that thread, Iwant the guys who will take the time to give me thier honest opinion from thier personal experience. I would search for a gas engine setup thread if thats what Iwanted... To many people tell thread starters of another thread around here, sometimes people want answers, not to have to search for 6 hours. I have gotten more good info starting threads like this then by searching much more personal info and the guys responding give more personalized info as Im looking for more specifics then a long thread. Thanks for all the info though. But honestly, wont the 52cc fly this thing well beyond jsut barely getting her off the ground?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 PM
soarrich

but how hard is it to adjust the timing on one of these and how do you check/change it?
The easy no math timing.

Cut a strip of paper 1/4" x 5".

Rap the paper around the prop drive, back by the crankcase where the magnet is. Overlap the paper then cutwith a #11 blade cut though both layers of the paper.

Now you have a piece of paper the exact circumference of the prop drive.

Cut it in half, take one of the halves and cut that in half again, take that and cut it in half also. Now cut it so it'sin 1/3 and 2/3 pieces.

The 2/3 piece is how much before TDC the engine should fire, (30*).

Now find TDC by removing the spark plug, then sticking something in the hole, a pencil works fine. Move the crankshaft until the piston.is at the top of the cylinder, you'll find that about 5* either side of the TDC it doesn't feel like the piston is moving. Wiggle the crank back and forth until you can find the center of this piston not moving zone, that's TDC.

Now with a marker make a line across the edge of the prop drive onto the crankcase, it doesn't matter where, just that it's easy to see.

Now turn the prop drive clockwise a distance equal to the 2/3 piece of paper.

Plug the ignition into a 4.8v battery, and turn it on.

Now with the two screws loosened move the sensor off the magnet until you hear the ignition pop.

Tighten the screws for the sensor down, then confirm that the timing is still set that 2/3 piece of paper before the TDC mark.

You may have to lengthen one of the grooves in the sensor mount to get the timing correct.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33872.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1219091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51173.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1219092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23783.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1219093  
Old 06-15-2009, 10:17 PM
soarrich

Idont need a powerhouse,......... But honestly, wont the 52cc fly this thing well beyond jsut barely getting her off the ground?
A 26 cc would fly it. From hamman reply I'd say it will work fork for you fine, the DL would rip the wings off a Patty.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 PM
CastorTroy2150

Thanks I will definately set the timing....a few questions....when you ake your mark...and move the distance of the 2/3 paper strip..how do you keep the shaft from moving, I assume you perform this w/o a prop,right. Also the TDC I understand it is that "neutral" area where the piston has fully extended and has not begun to cycle back there is usually about 1/4 inch play in this area in glow engines of smaller size...you said 1/2 way or in the "middle" of the TDC what if your off by. a slight bit on being right smack dab in the middle...? And the pencil is that for a visual for the stop of up and down movement? The "TDC" or neutral zone....right?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 PM
soarrich

Thanks I will definately set the timing....a few questions....when you ake your mark...and move the distance of the 2/3 paper strip
First I'd use the paper to make a second make like in the picture.

how do you keep the shaft from moving,
The shaft doesn't move that easily, I may be missing something?The shaft and the prop drive are "locked" together.

I assume you perform this w/o a prop,right.
I do, but you could have the prop on.

Also the TDC I understand it is that "neutral" area where the piston has fully extended and has not begun to cycle back there is usually about 1/4 inch play in this area in glow engines of smaller size...you said 1/2 way or in the "middle" of the TDC what if your off by. a slight bit on being right smack dab in the middle...?
You'll be very close. 1~2* is not a problem.

And the pencil is that for a visual for the stop of up and down movement? The "TDC" or neutral zone....right?
Yes.

You do the timing with the plug out of the engine, it doesn't need to be grounded to the engine. The ignition will fire even without the plug, and it will be louder, it won't hurt it.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 PM
CastorTroy2150

I noticed you have numbers followed by a *.... What does this mean, I assume a unit of measure maybe cm or mm?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 AM
soarrich

No I use it as the symbol for degrees.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
CastorTroy2150

Anyone know anything about Quadra engines, have a fella offering to tade one for the MDS in really good condition, unsure of how mand CC's but if it is ha high end engine may be worth it. anyone know what the CC range is on them between 30-50 CC?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
mrbigg

The quadra should be more reliable than the 52HP. Did you find them other threads I told you about?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
CastorTroy2150

I hadnt had a chance yet mr bigg, I will go find the threads. Also I am still waiting on hearing some acutal brand of batteries and such that others are using...... Specific examples of what seems to work well. As I mentioned before I would like to run a lipo on a regualtor....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.