Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Options

So DLE has been turning their name around it seems, what about the cases of plugs blowing out? Chalk that up to cross threading or over tightening? Also I have heard of the flat surfaces not being machined as smooth as they should. Can anyone else give input on this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There are two schools of thought on engines here, the IMAC 3D crowd and the War Bird crowd. I'm a War Bird guy. For me engine weight is a non factor since I almost always need nose weight. My engines of choice are Zenoah, all the Sachs based engines, (Brisons, Fox, FPE, etc) and if I can find them Quadras (65, 75, 100) Reliability is number one and that is where you get into trouble with a heavily wing loaded War Bird. Weight is almost a religion with the IMAC and 3D guys so they prefer the lighter DA, DLE, ZDZ type engines. As for performance, a well tuned, PROPERLY PROPPED G-62 will haul your planes with plenty of authority. By properly propped I mean not propped for aerobatics but for speed. Example-my 27 pound TF 47 with a stock magneto G-62 needs little to no nose weight. Propped with a Menz 22X8 it flies just fine, put a Zinger (OH MY GOD) 20X8X14 or a Bolly 21X10 prop on it and it turns into a monster.
    One of my friends had a TF giant 51 with a stock g-62 and a Carbon fiber 20X10 prop, turned around 7200 on the ground in Denver @ 5200 feet. Unloaded in the air and blew right by the same plane with a ZDZ 80. The pilot would not believe it when he was told it was a G-62. Our War Bird group here in Pueblo, (elevation 5,000') are all former quarter midget and F-1 guys so we understand the value of finding the right prop for an engine. I guess what I am saying is don't overlook so call "old heavy engines" As to the DLE, we've seen lots come and go,
    good power, look nice, cheap, horrible metallurgy at times, spotting reliability, wear out much quicker than the DA's they were copied from. You get what you pay for, simple as that.
    As to the other "alphabet engines" from China they are much more spotting and the metallurgy and machine work sometimes make you almost cry. But, they are cheap and if that's you're number one criteria go for it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WarBirds 11 596.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	864.8 KB 
ID:	1970102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WarBirds 11 985.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	677.8 KB 
ID:	1970103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WarBirds 11 1315.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	725.8 KB 
ID:	1970104

Here's some pics from one of our recent events. The four 47s were powered by , left to right 3w 75(i think) sachs 4.2, Brison 5.8 and a DA 100.
    two are Ziroli, one TF and one Vailly. Pilots left to right, CD Duane Pisciotta, Clark Graves, Doug Knowlton, Brent Cozzolino, Ken Montblat and Zach Cozzolino. The second photo is a TF corsair kit powered by an old (very old ) orange case sachs 4.2 and the third is a Ziroli with a Brison 5.8
    Guess which one is fastest? If you said the Corsair your right! Very old Sachs 4.2 cut from a chainsaw in the early 90's, propped with a Menz 22X10 but runs really well with a TF 22X10. Weight is right at 30lbs so it's no feather weight.
    Larry

Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There's a rumor going around about a new DLE 61, but that is what it is just a rumor.
    But am still leaning towards a DA 60 though my source says it is a shaker.
    Just depends on the views of the owner, I guess. The old quandry still stands "Fifty Dollar Saddle on a Ten Dollar Horse ?"
    Just depends.
    Cheers All
    Last edited by GSNut; 02-19-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    Doug in Denver
    Club Saito #57
    IMAA 345 AMA 17566 EAA 213982

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What do you mean by shaker? Also was you referring to DA or DLE?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by GSNut View Post
    There's a rumor going around about a new DLE 61, but that is what it is just a rumor.
    But am still leaning towards a DA 60 though my source says it is a shaker.
    Just depends on the views of the owner, I guess. The old quandry still stands "Fifty Dollar Saddle on a Ten Dollar Horse ?"
    Just depends.
    Cheers All
    The DLE 61 has been available for about a month now. Check with one of the common vendors such as Valley View RC.

It looks to be a pretty good engine. They have changed the cylinder design away from the open porting the 55 used which should reduce or eliminate any premature piston wear some of the 55's experienced.
    Last edited by Truckracer; 02-19-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Luchnia View Post
    I did read that somewhere, but have no experience with it. I am curious about that as well since I have a new 55RA in the box. I plan to pull the muffler and see if I see any weaknesses in manufacturing.
    I bought long muffler bolts for my DLE 55 and put washers behind the bolt heads to fully force the whole muffler against the engine. Stock, only the inside part of the muffler is bolted on. This is the area of failure.
    Let's just say, they will be satisfied with less. " Ming the Merciless

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by vertical grimmace View Post
    I bought long muffler bolts for my DLE 55 and put washers behind the bolt heads to fully force the whole muffler against the engine. Stock, only the inside part of the muffler is bolted on. This is the area of failure.
    Good info, thanks that will help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes, thank you. I'm seeing a pair of fender washers on the extended length bolts?
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    Yes, thank you. I'm seeing a pair of fender washers on the extended length bolts?
    Not sure the exact size, I can post a pic when I get home. It just has to be big enough to cover the hole. 1/2" maybe? I think this is really a non issue and a simple mod really. Much less of an issue than trying to get those wrap around mufflers to hang on with the side exhaust engines. With those a clamp has to be fabricated to attach the other side of the muffler to the engine. That is a notorious issue.

When looking for an engine, you need to decide what is the most important issue for your application? If you need a small footprint, far and away DLE is on top there, with rear intake, rear exhaust, and angled plugs.

I actually prefer mag engines and spring starters, so when they fit, I like Zenoah. The side carbs pose problems with my warbird projects though. Although I do have a 90 degree manifold for my G62 that lays it flat on the side of the engine.

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Larry, I have a Q 75 with C and H ignition, I acquired from an estate if interested. I can bring it to a warbird meet this summer so you can check it out. Not sure I will ever use it.

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For narrow cowled engines with tapered bottoms rising to the prop shaft a longer nose on the engine helps to keep the engine inside the cowl. Rear exhaust and carb really help keep the engine narrow. The designer had the giant scale mustang in mind when he designed the engine.

http://www.rc-revolution.com/engine_r50c.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Rich, I know if it were a magneto version someone here would be interested. What you asking for it? I'll check around and see who might be interested.
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet View Post
    Rich, I know if it were a magneto version someone here would be interested. What you asking for it? I'll check around and see who might be interested.
    Larry

Oh, probably $150. I wish it had a mag as well. Not sure how much trouble it would be to convert it back. How novel would that be, to switch back from EI to a mag? I really prefer the mag engines for my warbirds.

BUSA Bro # 13

There are two schools of thought on engines here, the IMAC 3D crowd and the War Bird crowd. I'm a War Bird guy. For me engine weight is a non factor since I almost always need nose weight. My engines of choice are Zenoah, all the Sachs based engines, (Brisons, Fox, FPE, etc) and if I can find them Quadras (65, 75, 100) Reliability is number one and that is where you get into trouble with a heavily wing loaded War Bird. Weight is almost a religion with the IMAC and 3D guys so they prefer the lighter DA, DLE, ZDZ type engines. As for performance, a well tuned, PROPERLY PROPPED G-62 will haul your planes with plenty of authority. By properly propped I mean not propped for aerobatics but for speed. Example-my 27 pound TF 47 with a stock magneto G-62 needs little to no nose weight. Propped with a Menz 22X8 it flies just fine, put a Zinger (OH MY GOD) 20X8X14 or a Bolly 21X10 prop on it and it turns into a monster.
    One of my friends had a TF giant 51 with a stock g-62 and a Carbon fiber 20X10 prop, turned around 7200 on the ground in Denver @ 5200 feet. Unloaded in the air and blew right by the same plane with a ZDZ 80. The pilot would not believe it when he was told it was a G-62. Our War Bird group here in Pueblo, (elevation 5,000') are all former quarter midget and F-1 guys so we understand the value of finding the right prop for an engine. I guess what I am saying is don't overlook so call "old heavy engines" As to the DLE, we've seen lots come and go,
    good power, look nice, cheap, horrible metallurgy at times, spotting reliability, wear out much quicker than the DA's they were copied from. You get what you pay for, simple as that.
    As to the other "alphabet engines" from China they are much more spotting and the metallurgy and machine work sometimes make you almost cry. But, they are cheap and if that's you're number one criteria go for it.

Name:	WarBirds 11 596.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	864.8 KB 
ID:	1970102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WarBirds 11 985.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	677.8 KB 
ID:	1970103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WarBirds 11 1315.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	725.8 KB 
ID:	1970104

Here's some pics from one of our recent events. The four 47s were powered by , left to right 3w 75(i think) sachs 4.2, Brison 5.8 and a DA 100.
    two are Ziroli, one TF and one Vailly. Pilots left to right, CD Duane Pisciotta, Clark Graves, Doug Knowlton, Brent Cozzolino, Ken Montblat and Zach Cozzolino. The second photo is a TF corsair kit powered by an old (very old ) orange case sachs 4.2 and the third is a Ziroli with a Brison 5.8
    Guess which one is fastest? If you said the Corsair your right! Very old Sachs 4.2 cut from a chainsaw in the early 90's, propped with a Menz 22X10 but runs really well with a TF 22X10. Weight is right at 30lbs so it's no feather weight.
    Larry

Larry
    Yes, I am that guy the will quote a long post sorry. Last I heard that Brison went out of business? That turns me on the most because of the solid crankshaft. Are they still available and I am just blind to this? Also heard that Fox was basically a Brison as well? and after looking at the engines briefly, it appears that FPL engines looks exactly like the Brisons listed.. Am i getting this right?

The only thing we fly is warbirds unless its given to us.

I love to see others warbirds, it makes me want to go crazy with our already extreme fleet of planes. haha

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	042.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	1970352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	1970353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	032.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	1970354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	024.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	1970355 Here are a few of my DLE 20 powered Pica FW 190 D9. Perfect combo. Tons of power for this plane. Been flying it now for 3 seasons with this engine. Only had to touch the needles a couple of times during this period. Rear intake needles are easy to get to, with a small access hole in fuselage. I have a long screwdriver for this, and I paint the heads of the screws white, to cast light on them in a dark place. Works very well.

BUSA Bro # 13

Engines

I have a DLE 55 and people are surprised at how I just flip it once for every flight, I'm telling them to let it go before they even get a strong hold of it, lol! That engine will take my plane to the stratosphere if I let it. 3W is expensive and heavy, DA's are one of the best but are also expensive. I've had Zenoahs before and I agree, no oomf!
    I have a Spektrum TM1000 Telemetry with temp and RPM and it is Ideal for tweaking the engine and trying props. I have listed an extra sensor that will work with the TM1000 (for what it cost me to make) in ebay and here on RCU. If you have a TM1000 Telemetry and don't have the RPM hooked up, get it, you'll thank me for it, it works perfect and it's ready and easy to install.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	dle 55 002.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	837.6 KB 
ID:	1970376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dle 55 001.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	757.9 KB 
ID:	1970377

DLE 55 muffler mount mod.

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Rich, can you send me a picture, I am sure someone here would be interested at that price.
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just had two of our war bird guys get new FPE engines, 5.8. Very well made, run strong, use sachs cylinder and pistons and rods. one piece custom made crank. The engines are very beefy and comparable to Brisons in every way. The Fox is very similar. Looks like either would be a straight replacement for the Brisons. They also make 4.2 engines similar to the Brison.
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Rich, can you send me a picture, I am sure someone here would be interested at that price.
    Larry
    Yah, I will post one when I get home tonight.

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	Van engines 010.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	1970644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Van engines 011.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	1970645 Here are some pics of the Q75. It has that compression release on the top of the cylinder. These are supposed to be serious stump pullers. I really do not plan on building anything big enough for this engine right now.

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Do you have the ignition with the engine?
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Do you have the ignition with the engine?
    Larry
    I do, it was just not pictured. It is C and H. I also have a synchro spark to go with it. It is in great shape. Let me know if any of your southern buddies are interested. I could just ship it down there if they would like.

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Go ahead, I will pay for it, do you have a paypal account. If so i will put 175.00 in it to pay for motor and shipping. If not I can send you a money order when the engine arrives so that I know how much shipping charges are. If OK I will PM you with my shipping address. Let me know
    Thanks
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Go ahead, I will pay for it, do you have a paypal account. If so i will put 175.00 in it to pay for motor and shipping. If not I can send you a money order when the engine arrives so that I know how much shipping charges are. If OK I will PM you with my shipping address. Let me know
    Thanks
    Larry
    Cool, I do. it is my email address. richp70@gmail.com. I will get it out this weekend.

BUSA Bro # 13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast