Evolution 10cc - Two questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 AM
fastbullitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 10cc - Two questions

Hi Guys,

I need your help.

I am moving from electric trainer to Gas Piper Cub.

I bought the Hangar 9 cub and I’m installing the Evolution 10cc (gas engine).

I have 2 problems:

1. The muffler is too long and not fit the fuselage. Do you recommend cutting the fuselage and making it fit, or short the muffler? (if some of you have picture, or video to share with me that will be great).

2. Since it’s my first time using Gas engine, can you please guide me how I connect it? (Skip the engine mounts and firewall – I’m looking to understand all the electric cables (battery/ignition/servo). I have the manual but I don’t have clear understanding what need to go to where.
I search YouTube but couldn’t find any video showing the step by step?

Your help is most appreciating.

Thank you
Meir
Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Kentli22

1. you can get a muffler extention to fit in between the engine and the muffler, the muffler will end up going outside more and avoid touching the firewall. I think it is not a good idea to cut a corner off the firewall, I think this will weaken the structure of the firewall.

2. the CDI has 3 cables, lets name them #1,#2 and #3; #1 and #2 have 3 wires each, #3 is the battery cable which has 2 wires red and black .
#1 connects to the cable from the hall sensor of the engine.
#2 connects to the tachometer, you need this and you need to buy it seperately, it shows the rpm of the prop.
#3 connects to the black and red cable of the kill switch (Rcxcel kill switch is one example), you need this and you need to buy it seperately.
The kill switch has 2 more cables, one connects to the battery ( LiFe or LiPo battery, depends on votage requirement of the the CDI) that
will power the CDI, the last cable connects to an empty channel( 5 or 6 ) in the receiver, then program this channel with a switch in the
transmitter to turn in on and off. This kill switch allows or stops the battery supply to the CDI, the engine stops running and will not
run when the battery supply to the CDI is being cut off by the kill switch. Switch on the kill switch when you want to start the engine.

You will need another battery ( 1300mah LiFe battery is one example ) to power the receiver and all servos. Connect this battery to one
cable of a simple mechanical switch( buy this switch seperately ), then connect the other cable of the switch to any empty channel in the
receive. When you turn the switch to on, it provides power to the receiver and hence provides power to all servos that are plugged into this
receiver.

Servos: (1) you will need one servo to control the throttle of the engine, this servo pull/push the throttle lever of the engine to control the
throttle openning. connect this servo to the throttle channel (channel 3 on Futaba) of the receiver.
(2) some engines ( DLE is one example ) have a choke lever next to the throttle lever, you can use an extra servo to control
this or simply do it by hand to open or close the choke.
(3) the rest of the servos, just connect to the receiver like what you do with an electric rc plane.

Choose the batteries with the correct votages for your receiver and CDI. I hope this will help you.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

You might want to take a peek at the first sticky.