Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Possible fuel tubing??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:06 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible fuel tubing??

Does anyone know if this would make a good fuel tubing?

http://tubingandfittings.eldonjames....ene-tubing-mfx?

Thanks for any input!
AV8TOR
Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

They say a lot about whats not in it but not much about what it is made from. No mention of chemical tolerances, etc. From the description one wouldn't know if it would tolerate gasoline, ethanol, oils, etc. About the same price as Tygon from McMaster Carr.

For an alternative to the normal Tygon 4040A, I like the Tygothane line that is available Taildragger RC and MTK here on RCU. Also available from McMaster Carr but sorry, I don't have the numbers handy. A bit cheaper than Tygon, a bit firmer and I found it had to be heated a bit to go on fittings ..... but it will never come off unless you want it to come off! Clamps not really necessary. Seems very tolerant to gasoline and doesn't seem to get stiff. I liked it but not enough to switch completely away from Tygon which doesn't get hard quickly when used with the fuels in this part of the country.

The Eldon James product sounds like it might be some kind of polyurethane.

Edit: The Tygothane formula is C210A.

Last edited by Truckracer; 03-06-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 PM
av8tor1977

Yeah, I researched it too and couldn't come up with any info on what it will tolerate. I e-mailed the tech support people for the product; we'll see what they say. I want to order some other things from the company, and I thought if their tubing would work with gasoline maybe I would get some of that too.

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM
av8tor1977

Nope. They e-mailed me back and the tubing is NOT gas proof.

AV8TOR
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM
cymaz

Tygon! Buy the proper stuff- it will have the name and other details stamped on the tubing. If it doesn't it's a knock off and only worth throwing in the bin.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 AM
av8tor1977

I've had problems with Tygon getting stiff with the gas I use. (No, I checked, the gas I am using doesn't have alcohol in it.)

Besides, if we don't try out different/new products sometimes, how will we know when something cool comes out or hits the market? All the hobby suppliers do is buy from industrial suppliers and add a 300+% profit.....

Victor is generally known for making good quality gaskets for automotive applications. One time I was building a VW engine, and needed an overhaul gasket set. The parts store offered me a set from Brazil for 10 bucks, or a set from Victor for 15 bucks. I bought the "better" set. When I opened the Victor gasket package, inside was a "Made in Brazil", in the box, package of gaskets.

AV8TOR
Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Truckracer
They say a lot about whats not in it but not much about what it is made from. No mention of chemical tolerances, etc. From the description one wouldn't know if it would tolerate gasoline, ethanol, oils, etc. About the same price as Tygon from McMaster Carr.

For an alternative to the normal Tygon 4040A, I like the Tygothane line that is available Taildragger RC and MTK here on RCU. Also available from McMaster Carr but sorry, I don't have the numbers handy. A bit cheaper than Tygon, a bit firmer and I found it had to be heated a bit to go on fittings ..... but it will never come off unless you want it to come off! Clamps not really necessary. Seems very tolerant to gasoline and doesn't seem to get stiff. I liked it but not enough to switch completely away from Tygon which doesn't get hard quickly when used with the fuels in this part of the country.

The Eldon James product sounds like it might be some kind of polyurethane.

Edit: The Tygothane formula is C210A.
I would recommend caution regarding the Eldon James tubing. Much of the stuff they sell is geared towards Medical and Pharma which means water compatibility is required. The Urethanes compatible with water will turn to mush in gasoline.

I researched and found an excellent tube for our app. As TR stated you may contact me directly for the product that has unsurpassed characteristics for gasoline fuel supply apps. Inexpensive to boot (less than Tygon from the LHS)