Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Amsoil Sabre or Dominator

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 PM
rexbirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil Sabre or Dominator

First off, this thread is for comments from users of Amsoil Sabre and Dominator. It is not a thread for Amsoil bashing. I have used both oils and in particular Sabre for many many years. Have never worn out an engine. Have used Sabre and before that 100:1 for close to thirty years.

With that said my question to Amsoil users is this. I have been using Sabre in my 30 and 50cc engines. I have also run Dominator this past year. For our air cooled 2 strokes what comments do you have on the advantages, disadvantages of the two oils?

I know Dominator has a thicker base stock for racing motors. Any advantages for our engines?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

KLOTZ !
Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stihl Ultra
Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Sabre at 80 to 1 in my 3-w for 25 years with no issues. would use 50 to 1 with chinise
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think this thread should be open to bashing!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmeyers
I think this thread should be open to bashing!
Naw, enough of that in this world already.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Years ago I inherited a case of Saber Professional with New Smokeless Formula on the label from a shop that was closing. I gave a few away, sold a few still have a few. I have used it for a very long time with great results. I talked with a rep when I first picked it up and he told me to run it like a racing application because it was cowled and we were running it somewhat higher rpm than in an industrial application. His recommendation was 50 to 1. Most likely in a couple of years when I use the last I will have to purchase some more. I like it. It’s served me well.

I have also used and have many friends who use most of the other oils that will be mentioned here. All with good success. I feel if you use an oil as per the recommended mixes most if not all will give satisfactory results. Then you fine tune which oil to your personal preference.

Dennis
Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
DOMINATOR® Synthetic 2-Stroke Racing Oil[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445)[/TD]
[TD]7.2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445)[/TD]
[TD]36.5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270)[/TD]
[TD]165[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D97)[/TD]
[TD]-51 (-60)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)[/TD]
[TD]102 (215.6)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)[/TD]
[TD]102 (215.6)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
Saber® Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445)[/TD]
[TD]11.1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445)[/TD]
[TD]71[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270)[/TD]
[TD]147[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D97)[/TD]
[TD]-43 (-45)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)[/TD]
[TD]102 (216)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92)[/TD]
[TD]102 (216)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

These are the two comparisons as you can see the only real difference is in the Kinmatic Viscosity. This viscosity measurement is the ability of the oil to pass by a fixed orifice. It does not affect the ability of the oil to do its job. On professional racing engines the ability of the oil to pass freely though the carb orifices may lead to improved performance. In our case I doubt we may be able to tell the difference. Cost is about the same per quart. The Dominator is a 50 to 1 mix only and it’s not recommended to be mixed with any other 2 stroke oils. With the lower Kinematic viscosity it looks to be geared towards the oil injection crowd where the Professional states premix specifically. It also looks like the Professional has more additives to stabilize the oil fuel mix as well as a rust inhibitor which may not be present in the race version as these engines are commonly taken apart on a regular basis for inspection.

After reading the information on the Amsol site I think the better choice for me would still be the Saber Professional mixed at 50 to 1. In fact when the fuel gets to the last dregs in my rc gas can I pore it into the weed eater can and my weed eater runs just fine. I use high test gas.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 04-05-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was using Amsoil Sabre for a while and I had good results with it. But I was getting a lot of excess carbon build up in the engines I was using it in. So I switched to Stihl Ultra instead. But that was using it at higher oil percentages as the engines couldn't use the really low oil percentages. But the oil worked well and I didn't have any problems with it except for excessive carbon buildup. The engines have bushed connecting rods, so you had to use a lot of oil in the fuel or the rods would gall and seize up on you.

I would say you really want to use oil rated for air cooled engines and not liquid cooled engines. There are differences in how the oil is formulated for the engines like that.