Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Muffler sealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:21 PM
RJConnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler sealer

What is the best muffler sealer to use when installing a Pitts muffler without a gasket. All suggestions will be appreciated.
RJ Connet
Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Permatex Ultra Copper Sensor-Safe High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker in the copper colored tube. Dan.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM
RJConnet

Wow, that name is a real mouth full, thanks a bunch.........RJ
Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 PM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best for the muffler is Loctite 510 gasket eliminator . I use this for all bolts and flanges without a gasket. It takes very little and you can take it apart when wanted. I haven't had a muffler come lose or leak on any of my planes. Try it . it works
Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by RJConnet
What is the best muffler sealer to use when installing a Pitts muffler without a gasket. All suggestions will be appreciated.
RJ Connet

+ 2 Permatex Ultra Copper
Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 PM
STUKA BARRY

General Electric RTV#106 HiTtemp red. A bead around the exhaust flange and in the bolt holes, mount the muffler allow to dry and your done. Wont burn off and wont come loose. Oh, and the kicker, its cheap. Been using it for decades on all my Zenoahs, Fox's, and the Alphabet engines, Great stuff.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by RJConnet
RJ Connet
Depending on the muffler, and the engine size/make, the very best "gasket sealer" actually may be a bracket on the muffler opposite side from the exhaust attached to the motor. I've had gasket "leaks" that in fact proved to be slight loosening of the muffler screws with resultant dishing of the exhaust flange face on muffler and motor. In that situation the hardest metal wins, and will remain flatter. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, the question is a great one, and the correct sealant is always very helpful. Just wanted to point out something else that can produce similar symptoms.

I've had engines with heavy Pitts mufflers literally beat themselves so badly that a new head was needed in short order. The muffler, fortunately, could be re-faced, since it was bouncing around in the cowling after the screws backed out. Since there was no bracket, things got bad in a hurry. My standard procedure now is to install a strap on all Pitts style mufflers, regardless, just to lessen the odds of the loosening and muffler departure.

Oh, yeah, +1 on both the Permatex Ultra Copper *and* the GE RTV #106 Hi Temp Red. I've had good results with both.

Last edited by Bob Pastorello; 05-11-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
+ 2 Permatex Ultra Copper
+3 on the Permatex Ultra Copper and it can also be used in the muffler bolt holes to hold in the bolts.

-Ed B.