Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

RCS Twin Engine firing on one cylinder

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCS Twin Engine firing on one cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:35 PM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCS Twin Engine firing on one cylinder

Recently I came upon a new-in-box RCS 44B2 twin and the price seemed good (ya, famous last words right?). I know its an early 2000's motor, and I believe this is a boxer with only one (goofy) internal hull sensor. I got it to start, but noticed it was only firing on one cylinder. I'm sure its the ignition unit, but not 100% as here is what I have done/found.

If I swap the boots (one boot has a ground lead that goes to case), the other cylinder then runs, and 1st cyl. is dead. (the boot with the ground is the "runner"). If I swap just the plugs it doesn't follow the plug, just stays with the grounded cap.
When I pull both plugs out and plug them in on the bench and rotate the motor, they will both spark with the same intensity, and at the same time.

I pulled the sensor and cleaned some crud and shaving off it, pulled and checked the carb, rechecked both plugs out, put it all back together and still only one cyl.
I would be happy to just throw on a Rcexl and be done with it, but I have no idea where to put the sensor. (see pics)

To add insult to injury, one of the (6) prop bolts broke off in the hub and I couldn't get it out. So I'm thinking if I need a new hub, perhaps something machined to a new size that would put a magnet a little farther out so I could get a hull sensor to reach. If I get a new one machined, it will be to a DLE 4 bolt pattern, 6 bolts on a motor this size seems a bit much.

Any ideas, or pointers, would be greatly appreciated. ( I also got with Bill at TBM, but his engine guy never got back to me on a price/availability of a new stock prop hub - its a shared part with some of their current models)
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1046.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1997070   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1021.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1997071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0999.JPG
Views:	43