Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gaui F-50 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:03 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yeah, its nice looking; its a strong engine in comparison to the GF40... I think some people are expecting it to produce enormous / unrealistic power based on its looks and price... you have to remember, the F-50 is only 10cc larger in displacement than the GF40... it does have some design advantages over the OS GF40 (for my liking)... swings the Xoar 20-10 @ 7300 rpm... the wife got it for about the same price as I paid for the GF40 two years ago, a little less actually... I'm happy with it, the performance is as expected, especially when you have something to compare it too... the GF40 would hang the 19 lb super cub on the prop, the F-50 pulls the same plane up on the prop; its a fair comparison.

John M,
Old 07-01-2017, 12:09 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, but over here, the OS GF40 at 660 USD is allmost half price of the F-50 at 1072 USD :-)
Only the Kolm EZ-50 1250 USD is about the same price as the F-50.....but the kolm is a beast, and I would probably choose that instead.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 PM
John_M_

That is a good price for the GF40; I paid 760 USD from TowerHobbies here in the states... the wife got the F-50R for 749 USD from PlanetHobby... the Kolm 50 is a nice engine, the EZ-50v4 with the brushless starter , but note: it requires 95-98 octane gasoline, as does the Gaui

John M,
Old 07-04-2017, 11:56 AM
John_M_

Just realized that Kolm EZ-50v4 is 2350g with ignition, (5.2 pounds)... the Gaui F-50 is 1580g with ignition (3.5 pounds)... nearly a 2 pound difference in weight... the Kolm is certainly nicely made... power to weight has its place... I wouldn't shun the Gaui just yet, its not too shy of the power output of the the Kolm 4.5hp verses 4.2... the kolm maybe more robustly built, but it has to carry its own weight... I think they both have their places... I've shown the wife the Kolm, maybe I'll get lucky again this coming holiday

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 07-04-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:15 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that DA has stopped stocking the Gaui 50 here in Aus and from what I can gather also in the states . Thats the fear I hold for new brand engines . Are they going to be around long enough so that when parts are needed u can still get them . Cheers
Old 07-04-2017, 11:30 PM
John_M_

Hey Pope, what are you doing over here... you got me in trouble on the other board, lol; I've been banned for life over there.

DA stopped being the North American dealer because there wasn't enough interest; Planet Hobby picked it up... you can order parts directly from Gaui if needed... its not a badly made engine, better than the current Saito design's IMO... its a flat head, high compression design... big valves, and large induction / exhaust ports... its a breather, but you need to run hi octane gas... we have a 76 station down the road that sells 100 octane, been using that with good results... was using shell 91 V-power, and then adding 4 ounces of 108 octane booster, but the 76 100 seems to run better.

John M,
Old 07-04-2017, 11:49 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by John_M_
Hey Pope, what are you doing over here... you got me in trouble on the other board, lol; I've been banned for life over there.

DA stopped being the North American dealer because there wasn't enough interest; Planet Hobby picked it up... you can order parts directly from Gaui if needed... its not a badly made engine, better than the current Saito design's IMO... its a flat head, high compression design... big valves, and large induction / exhaust ports... its a breather, but you need to run hi octane gas... we have a 76 station down the road that sells 100 octane, been using that with good results... was using shell 91 V-power, and then adding 4 ounces of 108 octane booster, but the 76 100 seems to run better.

John M,
Hi there John . Banned for life , man what did u do for that ? Ive been in the naughty corner on every forum Im a member ( not that Im necessary proud nor ashamed of that , but what can u do ) . Ive been here I think since 04 . Im getting old . Cheers and behave , yeh baby yeh !
The engine does look nicely made for sure . The cut away display engine does look well made and Ive seen the vid of the jap guys running it with a flywheel at a rc show .
Ive been thinking of a laser 360 twin . I have a 200 thats yet to be mounted so to speak . I just keep drooling over that . Ive noticed the torq pro 70 as well but I see some have had some minor issues but are they going to be around as well .

Last edited by the pope; 07-04-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:55 PM
John_M_

Pope, I was banned for ripping into Taurus Flyer after he made some nasty comments about Brutus's wife passing... I used some extremely foul language... they unbanned me long enough to remove all my posts, then told me my conduct was unexceptable and then told me I was no longer a member there.

That TorqPro 70 isn't a bad engine design either... it has proper hardened sintered powered metal valve seats... can't beat the price... in this economy businesses rise and fall unpredictably... most guys buy engines and use them, rather than buy and store them for future projects, so if anything fails you have some recourse with the company at the time of purchase... you just have to get out there an have some fun... I was reluctant to get this Gaui F-50R based on what others have stated with their experiences, but I'm glad I have it now, as I like it better over the OS GF40... one of the guys on the FG board returned his because it ran hot and didn't produce the advertised power, but he was running it on regular 85 octane gas, they clearly state in the manual to use high octane gas, 93 or better.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 07-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:17 PM
the pope

I remember posting something to him on that as well . He showed a real lack of empathy and poor social skills on that one for sure . I must admit Im a engine hoarder . I have 2x of the GF40's myself and u can probably guess there still in the box .Oh yeh sitting next to the GF30 . I am very reluctant to bring new planes online unless one gets retired due to space . Im not much of a crasher so that doesnt happen too often ( I know my limits rather than it being down to my flying skills ) . I do have plenty of space but too many planes and once u put the tail and engine on its a all new ball game in regards to storage . They no longer fit in the box so they cant be stacked on top of each other . The daughter has moved back home so there goes that spare bedroom and I refuse to store my stuff in the shed . Im in the process of making up a plane rack so that will help some . Its good to know that about the Gaule 50 . I really have my heart set on another laser twin but that could change with the wind . I do really need though to get my more "special " engines going . I would hate to kick the bucket before using them . Cheers
Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 PM
John_M_

Yeah TF is a strange one, definitely a "Legend in His Own Mind"... I don't go around bragging about myself and my accomplishments, but if he knew my background ( Brutus has an idea ) TF would be eating crow, stammering with double talk, hubbala, hubbala... he'll get his in the end.

The Laser's look to be a nice engine, unfortunately I gave up glow fuel a few years ago... if they came out with a proper gas version, I would have to have one, as its British you see ... born and raised.

The GF40 is a reliable engine if you treat it right... have had no problems with mine; just pre-lube the bottom end and valve train before the first run... I had the use of our spare bedroom for years, but the wife coaxed me out of it for her sewing room... I now have a 12ft x 16ft "Tuff Shed" placed next to the garage which is fully insulated, is wired for electricity, and has AC... it has plenty of room for storage, and building.

My next engine I would like to have would be a Moki 180 radial in a 1/3 JW Sopwith Pup.

Kick the bucket !!... you realize all your stuff will go to someone else for next to nothing... at least let them have it as "USED", rather than "NIB"

John M,
Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 PM
the pope

Laser has been working on a gas one for a while now , I think its a 30cc single . The issue has been its carb but Jon the guy who assembles them and runs the whole show is pretty much a one man band so he's snowed under just keeping up with normal orders let alone R+D. Im pretty sure the factory has other work besides the engine machining so he probably has his little room in the dungeon somewhere . Being a Pom u would know more than me on the laser story know doubt . My stuff would probably end up in the bin . My son never showed any interest in the hobby , he wouldnt even give it a side wards glance when I was doing something on the kitchen table but he was a teenager when I took it up in a big way so hanging out with the old man was not his bag . Its a shame i didnt take it up a little earlier . Those big radials sure are nice but out of my price range . Although I cant complain I get pretty much what I want within reason and I have more stuff that I could possibly use in this lifetime but that doesnt stop me wanting more . As soon as I get something I swear its all I need and then a couple of days later Im daydreaming about the next must have . Where bouts are u located ? My shed gets damp in winter and stinking hot in summer not to mention if I had plane stuff out there they would get eaten by mice . From day one I flat out refused to put anything out there other than my fuel cart etc . I just stuck to my guns and won out . Yeh victory , man 1 , woman 0 . I have stuff all over the second bedroom , hanging from the family room ceiling . All in the walk in robe , corner of the main bedroom . Im quite proud of myself . What exhaust do u have on the Gaui ?

Last edited by the pope; 07-05-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 PM
John_M_

I live in southern California now, in a small city called Valley Village... originally was born in Southeast England near Dover... been in the states for over 54 years now.

Those "Tuff Sheds" are built like proper homes, 2x6 walls, with gabled roofs... we get 104F+ (40+c) temperatures out here during the summer months... temps inside the shed are reasonable, no real difference from being inside the home.

Problem here is, if it was all man1, and woman0, at some point I'd have to make "me" own breakfast, so a smart man in his mid to late 60's knows how to compromise... hell, I got my own man cave, lunched delivered to boot ... she's been good to me, so I can't complain, the Gaui was a Christmas present from her last year... although I haven't quite figured out who really bought it, as I'm the only one working, LoL... she does sew quilts and sells them, so she does have an income.

John M,
Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 AM
the pope

So she really knows how much rc stuff costs ? 40* c is getting up there for sure . We get a handful of those temps here . not much fun . I stay inside in front of the a/c . 30*C is my cutoff for flying . Call me a girlyman , I dont care .
Old 07-06-2017, 04:36 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by the pope
So she really knows how much rc stuff costs ? 40* c is getting up there for sure . We get a handful of those temps here . not much fun . I stay inside in front of the a/c . 30*C is my cutoff for flying . Call me a girlyman , I dont care .
LoL, unfortunately yes she does... I use to build drag racing engines back a few years Pope, the cost of this RC hobby is quite a bit less expensive... I don't know how long you have been married pope, but at some point you can only pull the wool over ones eyes for so long, and then they "cotton on"... I make up for my expensive tastes on the Holidays and Anniversaries... you take a little and give a little... I never asked for that Gaui, she must have seen me looking at it online, she knows my interests, and sometimes she surprises the hell out of me... when you get a gal that stands by you for the number of years she has, you have to show your appreciation.... its as simple as give and take... if I want something bad enough, she gets something too, win, win !

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 07-07-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 PM
NOI53Y

Hello Gents,

Sorry to drag up an older thread. I'm looking at different 4 strokes around the 40-50cc size for an upcoming project. During my research in to the Gaui F50 I came across this thread. 2 engines i'm interested are discussed. That's the Gaui and also the OS GF40.

John how is the Gaui going now. Obviously it's been a while and no doubt you've put more flights on it.

What sort of prop are you running on it and what RPM does it get.

Also i'm trying to find real world figures for the OS GF40. Do you think it would turn a 20x10 or 21x8 to say 6500rpm?

Thanks in advance gents.