Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCG Gas Engines by HK

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:09 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dealt with HK a lot back when I was into electric powered flight. But gave them up a couple years ago from poor product quality, no customer service, and no returns. Sometimes there is such a thing as too cheap. Yea-yea, I know, there are those whom swear by HK, but for everyone of the good there is five of the bad. Just not worth the few bucks saved versus the few bucks it cost.

As for their engines, I spoke with a rep whom said HK sells the engines that RCGF can not sell to the US. Seems we have a higher standard than the oriental market. So HK is filling a need whether it is good or not.

Last edited by acerc; 07-05-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, uh... thanks a lot there Ace. Just about had my mind made up, then like usual, you come along and change it.

(Just pulling your leg, you know that, right?)

Okay, then assuming I go with RCGF, where's the best place to buy????
Old 07-05-2014, 04:29 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

acerc-
Not sure what rep you talked to, but buying an RCGF in the lower 48 and Canada has never been an issue to my knowledge. There are 2 places to get warranty work done in the US at the moment, and I think another is still working on them in Canada.

There was a time when somebody tried to establish that an "inferior" line of RCGF engines were sold by anyone selling them but him. Remember the Aerovate line of engines? This turned out to be 100% pure hogwash, and he is no longer in business.

http://www.swaerovista.com/Engines

http://www.amr-rc.com/products-brand...c-motors/rcgf/

Last edited by ahicks; 07-05-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Okay, so now we're back on to HK and RCG (no F)! Well Ace, the ball's back in your court.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:57 PM
acerc

The rep said that HK sells the engines RCGF can not ship to US, for what ever reason. That is all I was told, but, I do know that if you search the threads HK's brand of RCG has far more problems and dislikes by owners than those that like them.
There are a couple places to purchase RCGF in the states, my favorite are BP Hobbies primary and Graves R/C secondly. I have never needed to send an engine of any brand back for warranty service so can't advise in that regard. I can say of all my (off brand) engines I have never needed to do anything other than add gasoline.

I would like to add some advice or my opinion as to what anyone buys, "do what suits you". There are many avenues in which one can research any given product, use them. Don't take any single individual's advice, seek numerous. An informed decision is a smart decision, and at the end of the day it is your money, your time, and your choice. Make it wisely
Old 07-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Okay, enough on this subject. I just ordered a RCGF 15CCBM from AMR, they have them in stock apparently. BP did not. I've heard real good things about AMR too, not so much about HK.

UPDATE!!! Wow, that was fast! But... BUMMER! They are out of stock as well. May be back to HK. Okay, subject is back on again!!!

Last edited by Cub Flyer Fresno; 07-05-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have TWO "RCG" engines, both purchased from HK. Both very strong, excellent power, good machining and parts fit. Except the prop thrust washer hole issue...not exactly the most accurate, and neither matched the hub exactly, but that's why drills are made in different sizes
I am content with what I have for the money spent...I couldn't find anything "wrong" with them, and they both came with RCGF instructions, FWIW.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:45 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

you get what you pay for cheap is crap
Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I had an RCGF 15 that had serious problems. The factory directed me to a local distributor that gave me a new motor . They pointedly told me if it was an RCG they would not help me
Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Oh boy! Two strikes in a row! I might just have to sit on this plane (not literally now!) and wait for AMR or BP to get some in stock. I guess there is no rush. And RCGF sounds like quite a bit less of a gamble!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:44 PM
lean-run

If it's the RCG 20cc add on HK you're referring to, they are RCGF (I have a couple). They changed from RCG a few years ago, maybe they use old wording for the add.

Maybe they are cheap, but they start and run fine. If you're looking for a lifetime warranty on a $170 motor its probably not going to happen.

Everyone will have a different opinion, only you can decide....
Old 07-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Ah, so true lean-run! And decide I will as soon as... well... if I wait to make a decision it may never be made! I'll just have to take the plunge some time. And another thing, I'll never know how good they are (or bad) unless I try one out myself!

By the way, it is the 15cc to which I am referring. And yes, from HK.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

"Knowledge is gained from the experience of others; Wisdom is gained through your own experience."
Old 07-06-2014, 03:36 PM
acerc

And wisdom tells you whom's knowledge is wise.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:28 PM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
Oh boy! Two strikes in a row! I might just have to sit on this plane (not literally now!) and wait for AMR or BP to get some in stock. I guess there is no rush. And RCGF sounds like quite a bit less of a gamble!
They are in stock here

http://www.swaerovista.com/Engines/
Old 07-06-2014, 04:38 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

CFF - Not crazy about the thought of that radial mount engine. You didn't say, so wondering if you checked with Southwest Aerovista to see if they had a beam mount engine?

http://www.swaerovista.com/Engines

Captmicom (swaerovista) is a frequent contributor on this site, and is the ONLY guy of all the dealers that actually tries to support the RCGF line in the string devoted to those engines - here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/7823494-rcgf-engines-249.html

Rumor has it that BP will not be getting 15's in any time soon. They (BP) recently confirmed rumors regarding the fact they were no longer working on engines - any of them - due to a death in the family. That is generally the kiss of death regarding RCGF distributors.

Last edited by ahicks; 07-06-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Thanks guys! They are a bit pricey there. Wonder if they ever have a sale? I suppose I'd probably get really good service there.

As for the RCGF thread... GOOD GOLLY! Over 6200 posts! I'm not reading the whole thing, don't have that kind of time. I have to work for a living. Man I can't wait for retirement!

Oh, and yes, I was hoping to get the beam mount. This plane is already set up for a beam mount engine.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:24 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Club Flyer, I have a stand off mount RCGF 15cc. It runs ok and is easy to start, however it is no powerhouse. It was in an old Pica ARF 60 Waco. It was enough power, but plane spun in when rudder jammed over. Now rebuilt with an RCGF 20cc since it needed the weight up front. I put in a new crank and bearings. Next it was in a 67" wing span Graupner Extra. Even thought the plane was light, it ws not enough power for that use. So I used it in a 81" wing span cub. It had more power than the Magnum 70 FS it replaced but added enough weight that it didn't fly like a cub anymore. I had to carry power all the way to the ground on landing. Now it just setting on the shelf. Anyone who wants to pay shipping can have it. Not enough power for its weight in my opinion.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 PM
acerc

Mr. Bean I sent you a PM in regards to the 15cc.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:40 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 4 rcg engines ive bought from hobbyking, they have all been great running engines, not a single complaint. Ive seen two EVO 10cc engines and both never ran right. that being said I just don't trust the evo line, that's my opinion.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Anybody remember what Tim Tool Man Taylor does with more power?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Hey CFF,
Check out BP hobbies online they sell them too.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Anybody remember what Tim Tool Man Taylor does with more power?
Somebody get ready to dial 911, I'm gettin' ready to give this thing MORE POWER!

Originally Posted by cubcrasher
Hey CFF,
Check out BP hobbies online they sell them too.
Did that, they were out of stock. I have a notification request in already. And, I'm not sure now if I'm going to go with the 15cc now or the 20cc. As for the choice of RCG or RCGF... that's still up in the air... so to speak.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 AM
acerc

I have told David several times the to buy the 20cc because the 15cc is not worth the difference in saved dollars for what you get in the engines. LOL! Sorry David, I just had to.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM
107ch

One word of caution, do not use gas with ethanol in it. Use premium. The ethanol is hell on all of the seals and carb parts and does not work well for a two stroke engine. Also you lose horsepower with the alcohol. I use Amsoil synthetic oil as well. Alot of folks will get one of these and wonder why it ran so great when new, but later start to have issues. Ethanol is the likely culprit.
just my .02 cents,

Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.