Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Dle 120 please help!!!!!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
it would be safer to fix the issue first provided you know what the issue is.
I would think you would like to make sure the restraint is good for what it will produce before you start messing around. There are always possible problems that could make it go to full throttle by accident.
I really dont think his problem is the reed bank. Needlessly messing with that can do more harm than good.
While I think this is a good response, I bring up the point that almost all goods that have been in my hands that were made in China were of marginal at best quality. Quality control is usually lacking and likely there is something easy to fix the problem. Engines are no exception. An internal combustion engine needs 4 things to run. Air, fuel, compression, and spark. If an engine will not run for any reason, its not getting or losing one of those 4 things. Air can usually be ruled out, so that leaves fuel, compression, and spark. The OP states there's good compression, so it has to be spark or fuel related. By process of elimination one can determine the fault. Is there more than one ignition module being tested? How about ignition system batteries?

Sorry I'm not adding anything new here, just stating the obvious and how I would approach a problem. Do the easy stuff first and work to the harder stuff when necessary.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to ask because you might think I am a smart ass, but have you tried a couple new spark plugs?
Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 AM
RJStrickJR
My Feedback: (97)

Forget the engine! How did the trip to the ER turn out? Are you OK? Pics of the injury?
Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 AM
pbilt024
My Feedback: (17)

Yes, I changed the plugs, twice actually. Sat in the ER for 6 hours and the gunshot victims kept piling in, so I never got checked out. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1594
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2012291  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbilt024
Yes, I changed the plugs, twice actually. Sat in the ER for 6 hours and the gunshot victims kept piling in, so I never got checked out. Here's a pic.
Know that feeling well, but only once, got me a starter after my first prop bite. Hope that cut don't hold you back much.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Know that feeling well, but only once, went and got me a starter after it. But the prop is not the only thing that can bite, aluminum around the cockpit can hurt real well also. Sliced three down to the bone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	2012292  
Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 AM
luvthestang
My Feedback: (172)

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Here is my insane way for checking for spark.
I remove the plug, stick a screwdriver in th the speark plug lead connector, grab the screwdriver and press my hand to the cylinder head and flip the prop. If my fingers curl up I know I have a spark.
If you try this make sure no other part of your body touches the engine or the ignition circuit.
I would love to see a video of this when you have time...
Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Sorry to see this led to an injury. If there is a bright side, it does give some clues. Usually an engine that kicks back is either too wet or has the timing advanced too much. Sometimes both. So you know you were getting fuel now. When you are up to it, check the timing. This would include making sure the hub has not shifted on the crank. Speedy recovery.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 AM
willig10

To the OP:
I know you said you changed plugs. Question is did you get rid of the as equipped Chineese plugs and go with plugs made in Japan? Next question is are you sure both plug caps are seated firmly on the plugs? Then the. Ext question is what input vtage is your ignition battery? Could be a switch that is bad as well. Also check the insulater from the carb to the engine and make sure it is not cracked or loose. It needs to be tight but not guerlla tight. Sorry about your injury. I got bit a couple of years ago and I feel your pain. I now wear a leather glove when starting a gas engine. Wish you well

glenn
Old 07-07-2014, 02:19 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check the carb manifold.

I have a DA 150 that dates back to 98 that was flown in the 98 TOC (has over 2800 flights on it). Last week after a four minute flight and a dead stick it would not want to re start and when it did it ran very badly, card would prime, carb would drip but plugs were dry. I inspected the carb. gasket between the carb, the reed block housing, all the normal stuff. It was leaking air on the back side of the gasket. I made a new one and BAM...., Problem fixed! By chance, if you can get the motor running, try carb clearner and hit the gaskets, if you hear a rpm change you have an air leak. Also, doulde check the hall sensor pick and make sure it is not loose or has moved ( that was my other issue) and double check the little spings in the bottom of the silicon of the spark plug ingnition cap ( I fixed one for a club member several months ago and that was his problem, had spark but very weak and intermitten spark and that will change the timing).

Regards,

Bill H.

Today I was maidening a 100cc edge with a new DLE 120 on it. It ran up good on the ground, 6100 RPM with a flacon 29x9 prop. First flight, it flew great for 5 minutes, then it died. After landing, it would not restart. We changed plugs, looked at the reeds, made sure it had a spark, etc. The weird part is, you can choke it till there is gas pouring out of the carb and continue flipping and the plugs will be dry as a bone. At no point was I able to get any fuel into the engine from the carb. The reeds opened and sealed up as they should with no cracks in them. Has anyone ran into anything like this before, because even our local engine guru is stumped on this one?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 PM
pbilt024

Originally Posted by willig10
To the OP:
I know you said you changed plugs. Question is did you get rid of the as equipped Chineese plugs and go with plugs made in Japan? Next question is are you sure both plug caps are seated firmly on the plugs? Then the. Ext question is what input vtage is your ignition battery? Could be a switch that is bad as well. Also check the insulater from the carb to the engine and make sure it is not cracked or loose. It needs to be tight but not guerlla tight. Sorry about your injury. I got bit a couple of years ago and I feel your pain. I now wear a leather glove when starting a gas engine. Wish you well

glenn
I only use cm6, the cheap Chinese ones are in the garbage wrapped in their little plastic bag they came in.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM
pbilt024

Originally Posted by BHolsten
I have a DA 150 that dates back to 98 that was flown in the 98 TOC (has over 2800 flights on it). Last week after a four minute flight and a dead stick it would not want to re start and when it did it ran very badly, card would prime, carb would drip but plugs were dry. I inspected the carb. gasket between the carb, the reed block housing, all the normal stuff. It was leaking air on the back side of the gasket. I made a new one and BAM...., Problem fixed! By chance, if you can get the motor running, try carb clearner and hit the gaskets, if you hear a rpm change you have an air leak. Also, doulde check the hall sensor pick and make sure it is not loose or has moved ( that was my other issue) and double check the little spings in the bottom of the silicon of the spark plug ingnition cap ( I fixed one for a club member several months ago and that was his problem, had spark but very weak and intermitten spark and that will change the timing).

Regards,

Bill H.
Thanks, a more accurate timing check (showed approx. 33 degrees)is in order as well as a reed block mod to see if either helps. Also pulled the jugs off to make sure there had been no piston scoring and everything was as smooth and shiny as it was supposed to be.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

When starting, I never touch the props w/o a very heavy leather glove. Also, a lot of folks are too quick to stick their hand back in on it after a flip w/o it starting. Got to have respect for these babies and never assume everything will go as planned. Good luck with that injury. Hope you went back and got 'er stitched up.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

It sounds like you have checked everything and found nothing. The only other thing to check is the loose nut spinning the prop.
Send it back to the MFG or take to a friend that is good with engines.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks, a more accurate timing check (showed approx. 33 degrees)is in order as well as a reed block mod to see if either helps. Also pulled the jugs off to make sure there had been no piston scoring and everything was as smooth and shiny as it was supposed to be.
Yes 33 degrees is a bit much. Try setting to 28. That far advanced may have been the cause of the first flame out being that engines will run hotter with that much advance. Getting hot can also warp things and make them leak. I would also still advise you to make sure the hub key is intact and the hub did not slip on the crank.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM
pbilt024

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Yes 33 degrees is a bit much. Try setting to 28. That far advanced may have been the cause of the first flame out being that engines will run hotter with that much advance. Getting hot can also warp things and make them leak. I would also still advise you to make sure the hub key is intact and the hub did not slip on the crank.
OK, thanks, I'll look into that as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch.I'll bet that is sore as heck.Needs some stitches or will take forever to heal.Watch for infection.Lot of stayph around now.Had a friend who lost part of a finger from just a splinter.Believe me I no about
stayph(sp).thirty eight days in advanced care hospital.Not trying to scare you but there are some nasty bugs around.
BCCHI.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:56 PM
pbilt024

After a month away for work, I finally got to mess with this engine again. Replaced hall sensor and it runs perfect now!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:36 PM
drdon23

Unbelievably this is what the instructions tell you to do. My new DLE 120 won’t start.