Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Engine equivelrnt to OS160

I have an OS160 that I hate or it hates me, What size gas engine would you recommend ? It's going on a 1/4 extra300 I'm not sure on the manufacturer I bought it here online.
    Pulse Brotherhood #9

The Sunshine state, when it's not raining!
    A simple search through gas engines for equivalent H.P., rpm, and props would answer the question. DLE's 30cc matches the OS 160 on all three points almost exactly.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ditto on the DLE30 or similar engines. Excellent replacement for the 2 stroke OS160 or 4 stroke engines such as the Saito 180. In many cases you will actually have less weight and increased performance with the gasser. The 30 will turn quite a bit more prop.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just get a VVRC 40CC twin and be done with all your problems and have the power you need in an aerobatic plane.

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/v...-w-1-4x32.html

It flies my RedwingEC 30CC MXS-R like a dream and runs like a champ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invert1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	2013908
    Back Roads Outlaws Revver #165

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks I've look into the 30 and 35RA. I know a guy who has a 35RA in going to talk with him. I think he had a 30. Again thanks for your responses.
    Pulse Brotherhood #9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Are you planning to use the supplied muffler or will you consider a tuned pipe? A tuned pipe will produce a major boost in tork and rpm on either gas engine. I have a 35RA I wouldn't mind selling too. Contact me direct if interested.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by amc72 View Post
    I have an OS160 that I hate or it hates me, What size gas engine would you recommend ? It's going on a 1/4 extra300 I'm not sure on the manufacturer I bought it here online.
    It must hate you, as mine loves me and runs beautifully.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
    It must hate you, as mine loves me and runs beautifully.
    I agree. While I'm almost all gas these days, the OS 160 was one of my favorite glo engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I converted mine to gas, runs great and is a real fuel miser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	2014254

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It was a RTF when I bought the plane. It's never run right for me. I figured I would spend 1/2 the price of a new one sending it in.
    Pulse Brotherhood #9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What kinds of problems have you had with the engine?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well it ran ok last year, but would dead stick at 3/4 tank. Tank level issue and low speed needle corrected and it ran fine. Had a bad landing and put it up for the year. Took it out a couple of weeks ago and it wouldn't hold a tune. A buddy said hey your missing some screws on the head. Replaced those and the rubber gasket. Still leaking out the fuel out of the head.
    Pulse Brotherhood #9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Not sure how to respond to that. First, there is no rubber gasket associated with the head. The 160 uses a brass head gasket / shim but no rubber parts. A loose head can cause serious damage to an engine as it can seriously overheat causing damage to the piston / cylinder / ring. Usually if a head gets loose at all, the engine will just not run but I have seen heads come loose in flight causing serious damage. Now maybe you're talking about the backplate as it uses a small diameter "O" ring to seal it. This plate is retained by (4) screws. Is this the part you are calling the head? If this were loose, it could certainly cause the engine to just stop plus a whole bunch of other problems. If the "O" ring is in place and in good condition, there should be no leak at this joint. If loose, you would certainly see fuel coming from the mating surfaces.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I replaced the O ring in the back. Its leaking out the back of the head. I'm thinking it was overheating. I would imagine it would need a new head, sleave, and piston to run right.
    Pulse Brotherhood #9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by amc72 View Post
    Well it ran ok last year, but would dead stick at 3/4 tank. Tank level issue and low speed needle corrected and it ran fine. Had a bad landing and put it up for the year. Took it out a couple of weeks ago and it wouldn't hold a tune. A buddy said hey your missing some screws on the head. Replaced those and the rubber gasket. Still leaking out the fuel out of the head.
    Having had a few of these in Pattern planes 10 years ago I suspect the problem is bad bearings. If the bearings have rusted up, you will have a heck of a time trying to get the engine to run consistently. Before changing pistons, cylinders and so forth, change the bearings. This repair is fairly simple and don't forget to "ring the case" once the install is done. It is the last step to properly seat the bearings
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)