Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Bearing replacement help. Ralph, Bill??

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Bearing replacement help. Ralph, Bill??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The clicking will likely return after you run the engine some.

The clicking is just the rings moving from the top of the ring groove to the bottom and back. It is normal.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 PM
dadragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Bowman rings and Penns air cooled and have nothing but GOOD running engines.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I don't know about that. The clicking I heard sounded like it had some weight behind it. I actually had expected to see bits of a bearing cage floating around in the engine when I pulled the rear case. I have been running these big twins since 1997 and have not ever heard a noise like I did on this one. The only difference I can see internally is that this engine has more lateral play on the connecting rods then any of the 3Ws or DA twins I have worked on. I will be running it up tomorrow. Going to head out to a flying site about 20 miles north of Monterey Ca. Then take the wife for a late lunch on Cannery Row.