Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New to gas, considering DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:57 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete1burn
Is it true that you shouldn't use mixed oil that's more than 30 days old? That's about all I get to fly in a month, and I don't want to mix a gallon of it and waste most of it if it can't sit around for a while.
I don't know where these old wives tales get started. My fuel sits all winter and come spring it fires right up. Go fly and have fun!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 AM
azalner

Thumbs up to you, sir! I've been reading up on mixing the fuel. Apparently to get 32:1, I would mix 4oz of oil into 1 gallon of gas. Sound right?
4 oz. per gal will give you 32:1
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

It'll last a lot longer then that. A gallon of gas goes a long way, you had to fly a lot to burn that up in 30 days...but you can mix up less fuel.
1 oz on a quart of gas makes 32:1
Old 08-01-2014, 08:49 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the gasoline you use. At some places in the country, 100% gas is available (without the oxygenating chemicals like ethanol). This stuff is stable long term.

At some places (like mine here in New Jersey) you are hard pressed to find 100% gasoline. The regular or premium car gas available tends to break down in a few weeks.

I use AVGAS for this reason and another key reason for me....Avgas smells great and doesn't stink the whole house. BTW- AVGAS works great in our small gassies and its stability is measured in years not weeks.

It's less convenient to purchase tho because you usually need to go to your small muni airport to buy it. It's trivial for me since I have several munis close and even a couple regional airports within 20 miles of my house.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Does anyone know the longetivity of Castor oil ? thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

In fuel, castor has a long shelf life. In you, about 4 hours.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Pete1burn

Do you guys use two servos for the engine, one for throttle and one for choke? I can't see where I'd have enough room in the fuse to put three separate servos. (Throttle, choke, rudder.) And I don't think my 6 channel Spektrum has any open ports!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Skinny Bob

Hello all. I've read a lot of threads here on gas engines, and I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Just bought a Phoenix Models Extra 330s .60-.90. I have a Saito 100 I was going to put on it, but I have the itch to go to a gas engine, and the DLE20 looks like a good match.

The problem is I've always been a glow engine guy, so I know what there is to know. I have compiled a small list of stuff I'll need to get based on the threads here, and I was hoping to get some feedback.

Some brown DuBro fuel tubing
A few clunks and fuel filters
The NGC spark plug for the DLE20
2 stroke oil
New 16x8 prop (Might want a 3-blade, haven't decided)
I already have batteries for the ignition

Am I missing anything? Thanks for all the great info so far!
Pete, check out (TowerHobbies.com | K&S Sta-Flex Fuel Line Large 25') I am using it for my DLE 20. I like it because it is clear and flexible. This is my second year of use and it hasn't hardened yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0559.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	854.9 KB
ID:	2019201   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0611.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	595.9 KB
ID:	2019202  

Last edited by Skinny Bob; 08-01-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 AM
OliverJacob

On some engines it's a little tricky, but you can mount a push rod to the choke and operate it with the cowling on. It may need a bracket or two, but it's a good option.
Unless you want to be able to shut the engine off via choke servo, the choke is only used to draw fuel to start the engine.
It won't run with the choke closed
Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Pete1burn

So you keep the choke closed, turn a few times, then open the choke to start it? I mean I'm sure I can look all this stuff up, especially in the manual, but first hand experience never hurts.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So you keep the choke closed, turn a few times, then open the choke to start it? I mean I'm sure I can look all this stuff up, especially in the manual, but first hand experience never hurts.

I am running a cable to a hatch on the side of my plane for the choke. You can run this cable anywhere you like, but I prefer a cable to a solid piece of music wire. It would seem the most popular method is to run this music wire pushrod forward, but this does not work well with the DLE 20. I solder a blind nut on the end of my cable, for something to grip on to. On a model this small, I would not put a servo on the choke, although I love that set up on my DLE 55.

Here is my starting procedure: Close choke, Full throttle, Rock prop spinner back and forth 10-15 time to get fuel drawn up, ignition ON, flip prop until it fires (it will die quickly), open choke, close throttle to high idle, flip again. Should be running within 5 flips. After this, it should start first flip most of the day, unless it sits a long time between flights.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM
OliverJacob

You'll find it easy to start this engine. A few flips with closed choke, ignition on and a few more flips until it fires and then you can open it and it should start right up.
Most people never have any problems with interference, but it's a good idea not to use any metal push rods near the engine and ignition box.

At first start it might take some time to get fuel into the engine, an electric starter helps a lot until you got the needle settings figured out. Once set, you don't need to touch them for the rest of the season or longer
Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by Lifer
In fuel, castor has a long shelf life. In you, about 4 hours.
Thats pretty funny , good stuff . Cheers
Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 AM
davidhand

Will Castor oil mix with Gasoline? When as a boy I mixed my own fuel for diesel engines (ether, kerosene, castor oil) if you mixed the kerosene and castor oil together it would not go into solution until ether was added then it was all OK.
Also on a different note if you read the small print on two stroke oil containers it "says" it contains a fuel stabilizer.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by davidhand
Will Castor oil mix with Gasoline? When as a boy I mixed my own fuel for diesel engines (ether, kerosene, castor oil) if you mixed the kerosene and castor oil together it would not go into solution until ether was added then it was all OK.
Also on a different note if you read the small print on two stroke oil containers it "says" it contains a fuel stabilizer.
Why not just go with a known brand that has a good track record with gas 2-strokes? Like Bel Rey or Stihl Ultra?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:15 AM
OliverJacob

+1 there are lengthy discussions about 2 stroke oil on here. It pays off to spend some extra money to get a high quality oil.

A few years ago I bought a used 4 stroke engine from someone who used lots of castor oil. When I took it apart, residue was everywhere and about to plug up some of the lubrication channels. So I use a low percentage castor and synthetic oil mix on my glow engines and they run great and you could not find any wear on them.

Imo there is no benefit in using castor oil in a 2 stroke gasser.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by OliverJacob
+1 there are lengthy discussions about 2 stroke oil on here. It pays off to spend some extra money to get a high quality oil.

A few years ago I bought a used 4 stroke engine from someone who used lots of castor oil. When I took it apart, residue was everywhere and about to plug up some of the lubrication channels. So I use a low percentage castor and synthetic oil mix on my glow engines and they run great and you could not find any wear on them.

Imo there is no benefit in using castor oil in a 2 stroke gasser.
And I do not think it would be any cheaper anyway, or very easy to get. Stihl ultra is what was recommended by Jedi Jodi who did the engine work for valley view. I trust his opinion, and have had no trouble with it. I run 32-1 in all of my engines as I do not want to have different cans with different mixes.

Remember, get the thing tuned and fly it. Gassers are not to be broken in on the ground as they get hot without the airflow. If you need to make adjustments, you need to go by how they are reacting in the air.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Skinny Bob

Originally Posted by OliverJacob
On some engines it's a little tricky, but you can mount a push rod to the choke and operate it with the cowling on. It may need a bracket or two, but it's a good option.
Unless you want to be able to shut the engine off via choke servo, the choke is only used to draw fuel to start the engine.
It won't run with the choke closed
Here is my choke set up on my Revolver with a DLE 20, the cowl is open behind the muffler and is easy to reach.

Name:	100_0609.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	2019395  
Old 08-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Pete1burn

Another question. On my phoenix models Extra 330, the firewall is already drilled so that the engine mount will attach to it diagonally. I've always had my engines upside down. Is that going to be a problem with a DLE 20? People have talked about attaching the carb upside down so now I'm lost. I've learned so much over the past few days that my brain isn't processing this.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:50 PM
azalner

Another question. On my phoenix models Extra 330, the firewall is already drilled so that the engine mount will attach to it diagonally. I've always had my engines upside down. Is that going to be a problem with a DLE 20? People have talked about attaching the carb upside down so now I'm lost. I've learned so much over the past few days that my brain isn't processing this.
Vertical, horizontal, diagonal, perpendicular - who cares? The engine doesn't. Seems to me you're approaching information overload. Just install the engine the best way you know how and crank her up. If you have issues come back to us & there are a lot of guys who will help.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Pete1burn

If I mount it diagonally upside down, should I flip the carb? I'd have to look up how to even do that. But better to ask first.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you had a chain saw in your hands, would it matter which way it was pointing? Probably not, and same principle here. Carb has a pump built into it, so the engine's attitude has no effect on how it runs - usually. It's not supposed to anyway. -Al
Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't over think it. Mount the engine at the best angle dictated by the structure and the cowl. During the process of flight it will see every conceivable attitude. The engine doesn't have to be straight up and down or left and right. Fit the engine to the airframe, not the other way around.

Name:	DSC02704.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2019549  
Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM
azalner

If I mount it diagonally upside down, should I flip the carb? I'd have to look up how to even do that. But better to ask first.
My question to you is "Why do you want to flip the carb?"

If the answer is that it would facilitate hooking up the throttle linkage, then by all means go ahead and flip the carb. Otherwise, leave it alone.

The carb is secured to the engine with two bolts, remove these and flip the carb making sure that the pulse ports are lined up and unobstructed. Replace the bolts and you're good to go. Do not damage the gaskets in the process, otherwise you will have to replace them. Damaged gaskets will result in air leaks which will cause you no end of grief.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 AM
Pete1burn

I'll wait until I am ready to mount the engine and see if it requires flipping the carb.

I fiddled led with it last night. The motor mounts that came with the ARF are too short to fit the engine, and the only other mounts I have would hit the triangle stock that's reinforcing the firewall unless I cut some of either the triangle stock or engine mount away. That's to fit it diagonally as per the instructions. Otherwise I'd have to fill in those holes and drill new ones. The blind nuts are epoxied in and would be a real pain to get out, not to mention the limited space to work in there.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.