Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New to gas, considering DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Bcolici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps you can cut or use a different mount. Have you seen the install here?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Pete1burn

Yeah I ordered a new DuBro mount. No bars going side to side so I can cut a hole into the firewall. Thank you for those links. Very informative reading. I'll be changing the mount and cutting a hole into the firewall to fit the carb.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete1burn
Yeah I ordered a new DuBro mount. No bars going side to side so I can cut a hole into the firewall. Thank you for those links. Very informative reading. I'll be changing the mount and cutting a hole into the firewall to fit the carb.
I have been using the Dubro soft mount for 120 engines. It is aluminum and has worked great. I do not use the softmount aspect of the design though. Those will rob power if you do not need it. It is nice to just drill and tap your mount, and have good strong aluminum threads.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

As posted here before, the Hanger 9 aluminum mount is hard to beat for the price, requires no drilling and allows for the carb to pass between the mounts. Much stronger and stiffer than the flexible plastic mounts.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...61-2-2-HAN2033
Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Pete1burn

Thanks. Ordered the hangar 9 one as well. I'll see which one I prefer when they show up. I like the idea of not having to still mounting holes for the engine.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Pete1burn
Thanks. Ordered the hangar 9 one as well. I'll see which one I prefer when they show up. I like the idea of not having to still mounting holes for the engine.
The down side of not having tapped holes is dealing with the nuts. So it is either a little more work on the front end, or more work whenever the engine has to come off. Probably no biggie either way. Without the right tools, drilling and tapping can be tricky.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
The down side of not having tapped holes is dealing with the nuts. So it is either a little more work on the front end, or more work whenever the engine has to come off. Probably no biggie either way. Without the right tools, drilling and tapping can be tricky.
+1

When using the Hanger 9 mount, be sure to use proper flat washers between the nuts and the mount. Nuts with nylon inserts seem to work the best. It is a compromise sort of mount but then most are in some way or another.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:27 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Truckracer
+1

When using the Hanger 9 mount, be sure to use proper flat washers between the nuts and the mount. Nuts with nylon inserts seem to work the best. It is a compromise sort of mount but then most are in some way or another.
The best mounts I have used are the O.S. Max mounts that are designed specific for a particular engine. So nice to have it come out of the bag drilled and tapped. Now if you were able to do some research, there may be an O.S. engine that matches the DLE.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Pete1burn

The Hangar 9 ultra mount looks like the winner. Problem is it didn't come with blind nuts and the bolts don't fit the blind nuts that are on it. The screws I have for the blind nuts are too thick to fit the hangar 9 mount. Endless $3 purchases.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Can't you drill the mount holes?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Pete1burn

It's through aluminum and all I have is a black and decker thingy. I think I'd mess it up.

In any case I was just test fitting everything and found out the holes I drilled for the other mount line up with this one, but the arms are thicker and so those holes won't work. Now I'll have to fill in the second set I drilled out and drill new ones. Will the firewall plate be ok or am I reducing its strength a little every time I do this?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Truckracer

You can tolerate some fairly large holes and several holes in the firewall if you back them up on both sides with large steel fender washers. I suppose if you get to the point where the firewall looks like a piece of Swiss Cheese, maybe you've gone too far though! The pieces of dowel you install stop the firewall from compressing when you tighten the bolts but do little for strength otherwise. I've seen three of four sets of mount drillings with no ill effects.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 PM
the pope

You will be ok , just drill some new ones . I think u need to hook up with an experience modeler to help u with your probs . Believe me these things are quite simple in the big scheme of things and in a while u will look back and laugh at you dramas . Im having a little chuckle reading your posts but everyone has had to use a drill etc for the first time and just do it , its not that hard and once you have done it u will be proud of yourself . Just really think about what your trying to do and I find that sleeping on it helps , and you end up finding a better way of doing somethings . Good luck from the pope
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Cool! I haven't seen the Hangar 9 mount before, I like it!!!! The cool thing is you can put it on airplane that you tend to change engines in for breaking in or testing! I would like to see an isolation mount version though... Thanks for the tip!!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by the pope
You will be ok , just drill some new ones . I think u need to hook up with an experience modeler to help u with your probs . Believe me these things are quite simple in the big scheme of things and in a while u will look back and laugh at you dramas . Im having a little chuckle reading your posts but everyone has had to use a drill etc for the first time and just do it , its not that hard and once you have done it u will be proud of yourself . Just really think about what your trying to do and I find that sleeping on it helps , and you end up finding a better way of doing somethings . Good luck from the pope
Yah, there was a time (not so long ago) that none of these things were done for you out of the box. It was just part of final assembly.