Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Idle on DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 AM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle on DLE20

I have a DLE20 mounted on a Sig 4Star. Have run 4 tanks thru. Have flown it several times. Last few times could not get it to idle down to land. Took the carb of & found 2 things.
1) butterfly screw loose.
2) sticky throttle.
I changed the throttle arm from the original to a longer one hoping the throw would help but it still doesn't idle down. If I use the throttle cut it will idle down but when I realease it, it idles back up. Several of our club members say the DLE20 carb is a clone Walbro. I was thinking of changing to a new Walbro, possible a WT962. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I think most people have problems with the DLE carb because they want or expect to have those problems. Carefully align the throttle butterfly in the carb bore and it will probably be OK. It worked before, it will work OK again if assembled correctly. Genuine Walbro carbs are not immune to problems! Even if you had a genuine Walbro, you could still be experiencing the same problems. Just this past weekend, I had major problems with a new genuine Walbro on a much larger engine.

The Walbro WT 962 on my VV 20 works perfectly but so does every DLE Walbro clone I own.

Last edited by Truckracer; 08-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This engine has an ignition unit with an advance curve that will cause the idle to hang around 2000rpm for a few seconds. You will need to adjust the low idle so that you have a slight burble at low speeds to help it come down. Check also for air leaking and if you have not done so remove the idle stop screw completely but leave the throttle spring attached. Make sure the butterfly is exactly centered, it should not be sticky. Check the DLE 20 thread also for more solutions
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Note only the early DLE 20 with the Rcexl #4 ignition exhibited the idle hang problem. Ones produced over the last year or so have a normal advance curve.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

From what you are saying, I would vote for a second look at the throttle plate as well. It should not take any force to close the throttle completely, and when you let go after closing it, it should stay there...
Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 AM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Will check the butterfly plus the module