Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:04 AM
MDavis28

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Baffling

I realized I never posted any pics of the baffling I did on my P-47/Saito FG-60. I ended up making a baffle out of 1/8" lite ply and mounting it to the exhaust ring. I then used craft foam to tighten up the space between the cylinder heads and baffle. I also used it to close up a large gap I had at the bottom of the cowling(not pictured).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369.JPG
Views:	1307
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2191814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.JPG
Views:	1797
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2191815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.JPG
Views:	1737
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2191816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.JPG
Views:	1301
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2191817  
Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDavis28
I realized I never posted any pics of the baffling I did on my P-47/Saito FG-60. I ended up making a baffle out of 1/8" lite ply and mounting it to the exhaust ring. I then used craft foam to tighten up the space between the cylinder heads and baffle. I also used it to close up a large gap I had at the bottom of the cowling(not pictured).
Wow thats tight! Can you feel warm air coming out from the gap between the fuse and the cowl? Is your fuse warm on the sides after you have flown? Great idea on mounting it to the Keleo though I like that. I hotglued mine.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:28 PM
HARRIS-G

Excellent job!!!!!
Did you measure any temps after flying??

Haris
Old 11-30-2016, 02:37 PM
MDavis28

I flew my P-47 on September 3rd for the first time since I had a cylinder failure back in May. Flew great but I never got above 1/3 throttle after takeoff and the engine temp got up to 371* wayyyyy to hot. I spent that Sunday evening and most of that Monday making a baffle for the engine and tested it that afternoon. Even at full throttle it got up to 330* but cruising around at half it would hover around 300*. It was still too hot but I had't tried all my ideas yet. It was 95* here on that day. I have since did the header wrap. On just the circular part of the exhaust. That brought it down to 277* on an 89* degree day. I see that someone had an exhaust ring failure that broke off the ring off. I may still keep my wrap on a little longer.
I didn't check to see if hot air came out of the cowling or check the sides of the plane behind the cowling to see if it's warm but I will next time I go fly.
MD
Old 11-30-2016, 03:56 PM
MDavis28

Thanks guys for the thumbs up. I put some thought in to it. I honestly couldn't figure out an easy way to attach the baffle to the cowling. Plus I had been helping my father in law with baffling on his full scale Vans RV6-A. An the baffling is attached to the engine with rubber that seals it to the cowling. So I tried to incorporate that method into my plane.
Md
Old 11-30-2016, 07:06 PM
slither

I see that someone had an exhaust ring failure that broke off the ring off. I may still keep my wrap on a little longer.

MD
You did a nice job on the baffle, but with the Keleo exhaust failures we've heard about, I wonder if the ring is up to the task of holding up the baffle through all the flight vibrations, etc. Hope so!! Again, nice work!
Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbers

Heres some photos.
Wow...very helpful!

Cheers
Old 12-01-2016, 07:20 AM
marksp

I realized I never posted any pics of the baffling I did on my P-47/Saito FG-60.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

I have a Morris mini motors walbro carb kit for the FG60R3. The kit sells for 138 euro + shipping, this was mounted and ran for a few tanks of fuel. I will sell for $100.00 shipped. I do not have a R3 anymore. Thanks George
Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Joe1199

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone used a gas spinner with the FG60? I have mine in a Top Flite FW190 and it comes with a gas 4 bolt hole spinner, but obviously has no knurling to grip to the prop like a glow spinner, does it work to just nip it up tight? Or is there a method to rough up the gas spinner to grip the prop?
Old 12-02-2016, 03:50 PM
deadstick79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flew my P-47 on September 3rd for the first time since I had a cylinder failure back in May. Flew great but I never got above 1/3 throttle after takeoff and the engine temp got up to 371* wayyyyy to hot. I spent that Sunday evening and most of that Monday making a baffle for the engine and tested it that afternoon. Even at full throttle it got up to 330* but cruising around at half it would hover around 300*. It was still too hot but I had't tried all my ideas yet. It was 95* here on that day. I have since did the header wrap. On just the circular part of the exhaust. That brought it down to 277* on an 89* degree day. I see that someone had an exhaust ring failure that broke off the ring off. I may still keep my wrap on a little longer.
I didn't check to see if hot air came out of the cowling or check the sides of the plane behind the cowling to see if it's warm but I will next time I go fly.
MD
With so little air getting in thru the baffle I would imagine that if you could make alot of air escapeways in the back she should run really cool! just my 2 pesos
Dan
Old 12-03-2016, 11:49 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by aquaskiman
I have a Morris mini motors walbro carb kit for the FG60R3. The kit sells for 138 euro + shipping, this was mounted and ran for a few tanks of fuel. I will sell for $100.00 shipped. I do not have a R3 anymore. Thanks George
I'm interested
Did you fly with that carb on?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-03-2016, 11:56 AM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by deadstick79
I'm interested
Did you fly with that carb on?
Thanks,
Dan
Yes it tuned much easer and stayed in tune
Old 12-03-2016, 12:05 PM
deadstick79

Will Pm you now!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:41 AM
marksp

I also picked up the Morris Walbro carbie, but haven't taken it out of the package yet. Curious, why you took it off???
Old 12-04-2016, 08:44 AM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by marksp
I also picked up the Morris Walbro carbie, but haven't taken it out of the package yet. Curious, why you took it off???
main rod broke, I had to send it to horizion
Old 12-04-2016, 03:42 PM
ALFIEV

Well....finally got a chance to see if my crashed Saito FG60R3 would run with the Teflon thermal insulator tube. Yes, it runs, albeit only on 2 cylinders. I had noted that the ignition wire for No.3 cylinder was damaged, but thought it might still work. It doesn't. No 3 cylinder would not fire at all.

Am sourcing a replacement ignition unit. Hope that fixes it. Doesn't appear to be anything mechanically wrong with No. 3 cylinder.

For those in the Asia/Pacific region (who cant use Horizon) here is a bit of a heads up about RCJapan. I approached them 6 weeks ago for availability and price of some replacement parts. They said they contacted Saito. Nothing doing so I contacted RCJapan again, they said Saito is known for very, very, very slow response to requests about parts.

Well, it's either RCJapan who's the problem or Saito. At this stage it looks like Saito. Last Saito I will ever buy, in my book it is unforgiveable to manufacture and sell goods (especially pricey model engines) and not be willing to support purchasers after market.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 PM
cathurga

Alfie, my experience with Rcjapan is the same. If it is common parts and things, they normally get it within a few days or a week, and they communicate quite well normally. But, if it is not common stuff, they depend on Saito. Had the same issues with a new gasket set. WRT Teflon tube, I had some issues with the one I made too, so I got a Bakelite one turned down. Works better. I think the Teflon gets softer when temps go up, and may not seal as well. Not saying it's your problem, because mine ran with it, just a little inconsistently.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:49 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

RcExcell is the ignition maker. At least that is what's on mine. You could contact them for a repair/replacement.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALFIEV
Well....finally got a chance to see if my crashed Saito FG60R3 would run with the Teflon thermal insulator tube. Yes, it runs, albeit only on 2 cylinders. I had noted that the ignition wire for No.3 cylinder was damaged, but thought it might still work. It doesn't. No 3 cylinder would not fire at all.

Am sourcing a replacement ignition unit. Hope that fixes it. Doesn't appear to be anything mechanically wrong with No. 3 cylinder.

For those in the Asia/Pacific region (who cant use Horizon) here is a bit of a heads up about RCJapan. I approached them 6 weeks ago for availability and price of some replacement parts. They said they contacted Saito. Nothing doing so I contacted RCJapan again, they said Saito is known for very, very, very slow response to requests about parts.

Well, it's either RCJapan who's the problem or Saito. At this stage it looks like Saito. Last Saito I will ever buy, in my book it is unforgiveable to manufacture and sell goods (especially pricey model engines) and not be willing to support purchasers after market.
A similar situation has happened to two flyers at our club who own Moki's, one is a radial the other is a single cylinder, both require replacement parts and the LHS cannot get any support from the OEM Moki in order to get the replacement parts. The OEM will bend over backwards to get you to purchase their Moki's, as soon as you take deliver of the engine you are left high and dry when it comes to getting replacement parts!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 AM
ALFIEV

Originally Posted by cathurga
Alfie, my experience with Rcjapan is the same. If it is common parts and things, they normally get it within a few days or a week, and they communicate quite well normally. But, if it is not common stuff, they depend on Saito. Had the same issues with a new gasket set. WRT Teflon tube, I had some issues with the one I made too, so I got a Bakelite one turned down. Works better. I think the Teflon gets softer when temps go up, and may not seal as well. Not saying it's your problem, because mine ran with it, just a little inconsistently.
Yeah, will look at trying to get some Bakelite. I have been very fortunate to receive a Teflon tube from Radford and I want to give it a decent try out. I noted there was no rise at all on cylinder No.3 so I think it likely the damaged ignition lead is the culprit. It may be that I still have to find another tube to get this running properly, but even if the mixture isn't quite right No.3 cylinder should at least register some temperature rise.

Well see!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:26 PM
cathurga

Yep, I wouldn't condem the tube at this point either. If there is any damage to the HT lead then I would look to get that fixed before going anywhere else. Also try swapping a plug and see if maybe one of them isn't duff. As you say, if fuel is getting to one, it should reach all.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:08 PM
MDavis28

Default No.1 broke today

Well my FG-60 is now a 2 cylinder instead at a three cylinder. No.1 let go today on my third flight. It was 41*. I guess don't be like me and fly ur FG-60 in cold weather. This is a Goldielocks engine. Not too hot not too cold. Just a nice warm. Will send an email to horizon and see what they want to do. On a good note it stayed together long enough to land and cut it off with the ignition kill switch. So I'm 2 for 2 on landing with a broken cylinder. This one had 3 ears broke off so it was a close one for sure, and oil everywhere. I see small bits of debris in the engine this time and the piston got scuffed pretty bad. So will need to replace that one. I give this to having a good ear and know the engine well enough to know when something is wrong.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1127
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2193073   Click image for larger version

Views:	1171
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2193074   Click image for larger version

Views:	1386
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2193075   Click image for larger version

Views:	1051
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2193076   Click image for larger version

Views:	1232
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2193077   Click image for larger version

Views:	1270
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2193078  
Old 12-10-2016, 09:35 PM
slither

Unhappy Bummer!

Sorry to hear this news! Did Ray mod your engine? I am wondering if anyone with Ray's modifications is having the cylinder breakage issue. Please let us know if you have...
Old 12-11-2016, 04:24 AM
aquaskiman

Well my FG-60 is now a 2 cylinder instead at a three cylinder. No.1 let go today on my third flight. It was 41*. I guess don't be like me and fly ur FG-60 in cold weather. This is a Goldielocks engine. Not too hot not too cold. Just a nice warm. Will send an email to horizon and see what they want to do. On a good note it stayed together long enough to land and cut it off with the ignition kill switch. So I'm 2 for 2 on landing with a broken cylinder. This one had 3 ears broke off so it was a close one for sure, and oil everywhere. I see small bits of debris in the engine this time and the piston got scuffed pretty bad. So will need to replace that one. I give this to having a good ear and know the engine well enough to know when something is wrong.
The engine is a bad design cylinders, break rods break, engines vapor lock, weak fuel pump etc. It doesn't seem to matter if they are broke in right or not. I gave up on it. I loved the sound power was ok, but for the money we should not have these problems. I will never buy a saito engine again and at one time I must of had 10 of there engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.