Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:40 PM
PCT
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mimmomx
I rebuilt the propeller drag with the correct times, then I tested the engine with thermovision, the result was great.
Look at the three points on the heads.
Please tell us more! What does the propeller drive hub have to do with cylinder temperatures? I do have access to a Fluke thermal imager. I might give it a try. Did not think about it. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:30 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My guess is he re-timed the engine ignition points. Perhaps his magnets were not evenly disbursed around the prop hub.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:38 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marksp
I haven't flown or measured the thrust, but a simple ground test using the Biela semi-scale 4 carbon blade 19x8x4 yielded 6300RPM (about 500 less than 22x10). Here's a link to video of someone who gave it a try - https://youtu.be/-NdzyXmuzwo
Cheers
Yes, that is my video. My engine overheated very quickly with the 4 blade prop. On the ground the 4 blade turns about 500 rpm less than a two blade. In the air the difference seems to be even greater as the 4 blade doesn't unload the way a 2 blade does.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:17 PM
mimmomx

Originally Posted by PCT
Please tell us more! What does the propeller drive hub have to do with cylinder temperatures? I do have access to a Fluke thermal imager. I might give it a try. Did not think about it. Thanks.
Of the three cylinders only one for accuracy the nr 2 has the exact ignition advance (28 degrees) the nr 2-22 degrees and finally the nr 3 17 degrees, this is due to the position of the magnets on the puller put at 120 degrees One at the other, while the pistons actually have the highest dead points (pms) not at 120 degrees because of how the shaft and rods are built.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 PM
mimmomx

Excuse me for google translation
Old 07-29-2017, 05:06 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by PCT
sorry im in the wrong post

Last edited by deadstick79; 07-29-2017 at 05:09 AM. Reason: answered wrong post
Old 07-29-2017, 05:10 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by radfordc
Yes, that is my video. My engine overheated very quickly with the 4 blade prop. On the ground the 4 blade turns about 500 rpm less than a two blade. In the air the difference seems to be even greater as the 4 blade doesn't unload the way a 2 blade does.
thanks for that!
Dan
Old 07-29-2017, 09:36 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Mimmomx,
Can you say where on the Engine Hub you have positioned your magnets? What is the degree spacing you used?
Danke.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:36 PM
slither

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BobH
Mimmomx,
Can you say where on the Engine Hub you have positioned your magnets? What is the degree spacing you used?
Danke.
Yes please, I would like to see more photos as to what you have done with the thrust washer to change the timing... also, do you have before and after scans to compare the results? I do not seem to be able to locate point #1 on the scan. This does look interesting!

Can someone go through the mechanical analysis on the geometric inaccuracies of the rod design? I would enjoy to seeing that, as well.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:04 PM
Timbers

Default Compression Feel When Turning Prop By Hand Question

How many compression strokes do you guys feel when turning your prop over slowly? I only feel two, one hArder and one thats slightly softer. I assumed I would feel three but I started thinking that the pistons all reach compression at almost the same time, so you won't feel three distinct spots of compression per revolution.

Just wondering. My stock FG-60R3 is still running and flying beautiful. My favorite engine.

My FG-19R3 isn't as impressive though!
Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 PM
hyltaiwan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to turn two complete revolutions to feel three compression TDC.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 AM
flygrc

I rebuilt the propeller drag with the correct times, then I tested the engine with thermovision, the result was great.
Look at the three points on the heads.
Yes, this was exactly one way I suggested, cool you proof it!
I tried to give this question to so Saito could make this change trough the Swedish agent but they did`t catch it all and not even want to help so I gave up Saito.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:18 PM
slither

Question

Of the three cylinders only one for accuracy the nr 2 has the exact ignition advance (28 degrees) the nr 2-22 degrees and finally the nr 3 17 degrees, this is due to the position of the magnets on the puller put at 120 degrees One at the other, while the pistons actually have the highest dead points (pms) not at 120 degrees because of how the shaft and rods are built.
OK, I have been thinking about this post, and if I understand it correctly, it appears that the timing would not be causing issues with overheating and failures, since the timing is retarded (not advanced) in two of the cylinders... at least according to my understanding of this. Am I missing something here? It would seem that this would cause, and at the same time explain why, the retarded cylinders run cooler than the perfectly timed jug. I would guess that the performance of the overall engine would improve significantly if the jugs were all timed at 28 degrees before TDC. Again, am I missing something here?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very interesting indeed, I would like to learn more about this. I know that the main rod and the slaves' location would make timing a little different, and if this is the case then the magnets should NOT be 120Deg apart, there should be subtle difference.
I have no doubt that if this were corrected, the engine would perform better, but I am also surprised that Saito didn't know this. Do you think they would have ignored it?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 AM
merlin64

Interesting subject about ignition point, i am breaking in a FG-60R3 also. I measured my ignition timing and found this:
Cylinder 1 --> ~24 BTDC
Cylinder 2 --> ~29 BTDC
Cylinder 3 --> ~19 BTDC
Timing difference between 1 and 3 is 10 degrees, so you should expect cylinder 2 will be hottest cylinder 3 coolest and cylinder 1 in between. In practice cylinder 1 is getting hottest and cylinder 3 is coolest.
I am asking myself what to do because 10 degrees timing difference is a lot imo, ore is the CDI taking care of this difference?
There is also an other theory by "hpergm" that says you have to adjust carefully with a temp sensing tool, see quote.
He got temps on all 3 cylinders equal at all RPM's

Rob.

Originally Posted by hpergm

- The engine requires a good warm-up before achieving a perfect tune. The intake parts where the fuel is atomised and distributed need the temperature to atomise the fuel - the result will be even cylinder temps. Any rich running will cool the intake and will allow loading-up/richening and/or plug fouling of the bottom cylinders at different engine orientations. This is risky for flight. So, its good practice to run the engine @ WOT on the ground for 1-2 minutes. From idle to WOT, I found that it takes at least 30sec for cylinder temperatures to peak. The WOT running will heat-up the crankcase/inlet chamber to help good fuel gasification thereafter. Possibly also blow-out any residues from the plugs.

- The real trick is to tune the low by temperatures and not rpm. The high just needs to be open enough to provide enough fuel to the low. It is for this reason (mistake) that the top cylinder was a temperature runaway in the first runs (tuned the high first).
​​​​​​​
Old 08-06-2017, 04:57 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Ok Guys lets think about this. The rod angle is different from the main rod to the other two. That would make the degrees different from the main rod to the others. The only way to check timing between the cylinders correctly would to measure distance before TDC. So I would build a adjustable piston stop check the main rod piston at 28 deg set piston stop to that, than check the other two. I hope you understand this.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:51 PM
cathurga

George, it may be simpler to find TDC of each cylinder, and then place a mark on the hub where the TDC point is, and then measure back to where the magnet sets off the ignition. I assume this is how people are finding the misalignment of the existing timing (if it is in fact, misaligned). This topic came up a while back and peaked my interest. Its seems relevant.
Merlin also raises the point that maybe the CDI is 'compensating' for the timing defecit, and it stands to reason that the clever people that designed the engine would have thought about this, but then again, maybe not. We know that these CDI's compensate for advancement/retardation as revs increase, but whether or not they are practically doing this to compensate for the rod alignment is unknown.
Having the ignition fire in a retarded state i.e at 19Deg instead of 28Deg would make for a very different power stroke application. Just take a single cyl gasser and move its timing to 19Deg and see what happens.....its not going to run efficiently at all.
I'm hoping we are all very wrong about this, because it would mean that we have to replace the hub/magnet setup, which is not a simple thing to do if you don't have access to the expertise to machine a new one.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 AM
merlin64

Originally Posted by cathurga
I'm hoping we are all very wrong about this, because it would mean that we have to replace the hub/magnet setup, which is not a simple thing to do if you don't have access to the expertise to machine a new one.
My personal meaning is that the CDI takes care of this timing difference because 10 degrees difference is too much for a good running motor i thnk. Second reason is the fact that "hprgem" has tuned his motor so that all three cylinders run equally in temperature, that means that all cylinders deliver equal power. In that case you can conclude that ignition timing must be oké.

Rob.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 AM
308jockey

I've been reading along this thread as I have this engine in a plane I've built for a friend. It hasn't been run much but has run beautifully with no issues at all. If it matters this one came through Ray English. It's been trouble free. I also have a 30cc version of this engine also through Ray. Haven't run it yet but plan to before the season ends.

Rick H.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:19 PM
slither

Thumbs up Good point!

Originally Posted by aquaskiman
Ok Guys lets think about this. The rod angle is different from the main rod to the other two. That would make the degrees different from the main rod to the others. The only way to check timing between the cylinders correctly would to measure distance before TDC. So I would build a adjustable piston stop check the main rod piston at 28 deg set piston stop to that, than check the other two. I hope you understand this.
Potentially, but not necessarily. It might only change the piston speed before and after TDC, depending on the geometry. As you say, the only way to verify this is to use a piston stop and put a degree wheel on it, with a pointer, to check to see the relationship between ignition and TDC for each jug. I am not likely to have time to do this in the next couple of months, due to time constraints... not to mention that I do not have a degree wheel. If anyone has a degree wheel, this would be interesting info! They're are not hard to make...
Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Originally Posted by slither
Potentially, but not necessarily. It might only change the piston speed before and after TDC, depending on the geometry. As you say, the only way to verify this is to use a piston stop and put a degree wheel on it, with a pointer, to check to see the relationship between ignition and TDC for each jug. I am not likely to have time to do this in the next couple of months, due to time constraints... not to mention that I do not have a degree wheel. If anyone has a degree wheel, this would be interesting info! They're are not hard to make...
I have it all but my engine exploded before I could check it. I sold the new engine Horzion sent me, because they said no more warranty. I still had a year and a half left.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:54 AM
deadstick79

and I have George's MiniMotor Carb
Old 08-18-2017, 07:41 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by deadstick79
and I have George's MiniMotor Carb
​​​​​​how is that working for you?

I also picked it up but have yet to take it out of ythe box.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2017, 05:00 PM
slither

Exclamation

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
I am not impressed with the Saito gas radials. Just took apart a 60cc of my friends after it had seized on the fourth flight in a TF 47. He sent it back to Horizon to get it repaired under warranty and they told him it wasn't covered because he had the Ray English mods done. I took it apart to see what damage it had received. He ran it on the recommended cool power oil and at the recommended ratio. I found that the master rod had broken and one of the rods had broken. Looked like the con rod had seized on the master rod and broken both. This happened with no warning. There was plenty of oil in the crankcase. I was shocked at the small size of the connecting rod lower bearing area. It was a lot smaller than it could have been. The failure appeared to be on the master rod side where the master rod had broken in the area where the con rod pin connected to the master rod. There is just not enough beef in that area for the pin to ride on the master rod. Ray English is rebuilding the engine for him at no charge, he just has to supply the parts. Ray went to bat with Horizon for him but no go. While it was running the war bird guys in our club where very unimpressed with the performance. Normally we all fly G-62's in the 47 or maybe a eme 55 or 60. Either of these will run rings around the Saito. I would say you would need the 90 cc version to get equal performance. He replaced the Saito with a G-62 and speed went up by 20+ mph as clocked with a radar gun.
Larry
I had a chance to speak at length with Ray, today. This engine happened to come up in the discussion, and Ray commented that this was not due to a lubrication issue, but rather due to a mechanical failure of the main rod where the slave rod attached. He went through a complete failure analysis, and determined the master rod fractured in the area that holds the slave rod's pin.

Also, he mentioned something interesting about the Cool Power oil: apparently, the formulation recently has changed; that, according to Craig, Horizon does not recommend and is not going to be carrying said oil; and that he (meaning Ray) is not recommending it, either. While Red Line is being recommended by Horizon, it is not recommended by Ray. He said his testing resulted in less than satisfactory results with the Red Line. Ray now recommends the Klotz Super Techniplate KL-200 exclusively. He said to stay away from the Klotz special RC oil, as that is for the chainsaw type engines. I am planning to purchase some, and when I get around to running it, I will report on my experiences.

Additionally, he reported some details on a larger Saito radial that is to be released in the near future... and this one sounds quite good!

Last edited by slither; 08-31-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 AM
Timbers

Default Oil

Been running the FG-21 (8 gallons now), FG-60R3 (3 gallons) and the FG-19R3 (1 gallon) all on Redline Synthetic and all three engines work great! If there was something wrong with Redline I would have found out by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.