Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:01 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
I bought my engine used and i didn't get the tool kit. What is the clearance on the vales supposed to be set at?
Manual states 0.1mm
Old 11-29-2018, 02:32 PM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cathurga
slskn,

4T engines prefer coarser props, and this is a case in point. I would say by today's flying that the 18x14 is probably the sweet spot on this setup. Remember that I have changed the timing on my engines, so your results might vary. A shorter diameter and coarser props look like it makes it happier. If you are running standard timing, you would be better off having heat telemetry on it, and keep an eye on it. This engine has never run below 150-170C, even with the recommended 22x10 prop. In fact, I am going to see if I can source a 20x14 or a 21x12 TWO blader for this thing.
Thanks very interesting!
Old 11-29-2018, 06:36 PM
foundryratjim
My Feedback: (93)

Manual states 0.1mm
Thanks.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:37 AM
MDavis28

Default FG-60 R3 manual

here is the link to the manual from Horizon.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SAI...nual-MULTI.pdf
Old 11-30-2018, 08:00 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

so I managed to sneak out of work this afternoon and we thought we would try putting a Biela 4-blader on the FG60. Specs are 18x14. Biela’s site said this was designed for a radial, most specifically the Evo 7-77. It’s a more powerful engine as far as I know. But hey, we’re experimenting here...
starrted fine, and warmed up to 80C at idle and low revs. Max revs were 4900 static. Temps went up to 130C on the ground.

anyway, here’s the first few mins of the flight....you can hear me calling out temps through the few minutes.

https://youtu.be/SKDsF81ZuNU
Wow what an airstrip. Jealous I am!
Old 11-30-2018, 08:14 AM
khoysagk
My Feedback: (2)

Manual states 0.1mm
Actually it should be less than 0.1mm.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:09 AM
foundryratjim

Originally Posted by MDavis28
here is the link to the manual from Horizon.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SAI...nual-MULTI.pdf
Thanks
Old 11-30-2018, 09:10 AM
foundryratjim

Originally Posted by khoysagk
Actually it should be less than 0.1mm.
After reading the manual i would agree.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM
cathurga

Hyjinx, its a very nice place to fly, with pretty much no restrictions on noise or anything. No licenses etc etc....

Actually, they are having the Emirates National Day celebrations at the moment, and have a bunch of world class flyers over for basically a fun/demo event. The day we were flying, we had Andrew Jesky and Martin Pickering maidening their planes for the weekends flying. Intimidating to say the least....
I agree, the valve gap should be a little smaller than 0.1mm, but if you have some good resistance with the supplied feeler blade in there, you will be good. Any tighter and you run the risk of valves staying open, which is worse....
Old 12-02-2018, 01:16 PM
cathurga

Some pics of the National Day event over the weekend....

Old 12-02-2018, 01:20 PM
cathurga

A few more.... including a couple of guys hovering their jets....

Old 12-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Hyjinx

A few more.... including a couple of guys hovering their jets....

Nice planes and the jet hovering is wild.
Fat wallets and nerves of steel.
Thanks for the shots, bet that was a blast.( Some pun intended&#128580
Old 12-03-2018, 02:17 AM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

so I managed to sneak out of work this afternoon and we thought we would try putting a Biela 4-blader on the FG60. Specs are 18x14. Biela’s site said this was designed for a radial, most specifically the Evo 7-77. It’s a more powerful engine as far as I know. But hey, we’re experimenting here...
starrted fine, and warmed up to 80C at idle and low revs. Max revs were 4900 static. Temps went up to 130C on the ground.

anyway, here’s the first few mins of the flight....you can hear me calling out temps through the few minutes.

https://youtu.be/SKDsF81ZuNU
Looks very promising setting the ignition timing to 30 degree BTDC. I think you have proved already this is the right way to do it.
Any slippage of the prop hub noticed? Is it possible after adjusting to drill a new hole in the hub and after machining the hole to put a screw inside as the new locking device?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 AM
cathurga

Didier,

They are running a lot better at 30deg for sure. I did not see any slippage of the prophub, but I also put a little red loctite between the collet and the crankshaft, and between the collet and the prophub. Whether it’s contributing to the hub staying in place or not, I don’t know. I would think that i tightened it up enough that the counter-torque of a 4-bladed prop with a 14” was not enough to make it slip, but all you need is a backfire/burst start and it might move. With the timing in the right place there has not been a single backfire or anything of the sort so far. It starts so easy it’s almost criminal. Have a propstrike, and it will move, but you will be putting a new prop on.
as far as drilling a new hole, NO, you cannot do it just because the check magnet is EXACTLY where you would need to drill the hole. This is what leads me to believe that the magnet and the locator hole were mixed up. Swap them around and it would be perfect. That is of course, if the checkmagnet can be in a closer proximity to the other magnet.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:17 AM
Didier

Ok thanks.
I'm curious what Morris will bring out regarding a new prophub.
An other option could be making a different kind of sensor clamp (360 degree clamp around the front bearing housing) and bring the sensor to the correct timing
Old 12-03-2018, 04:01 AM
cathurga

When I was speaking to Morris, I suggested he visit the problem of the cylinder timing being different between them, given that some people have measured that they are not 120deg apart. I think he is looking into this as even if you made a new hub without considering this, the timing will still be slightly out. Having sensor housing with more range would be a less ‘complex’ way of getting the timing where it should be, but would still have the problem of the TDC’s of the lower cylinders out of alignment.
The very best solution would be to have a new prop hub, with locating pin in the correct position and the magnets set to give 30deg on each cylinder. Done like this, the engine would run flawlessly, with lots of power and no overheating. It will be at optimal performance ...IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.
remember, I am opento being proved wrong, maybe someone will be able to present evidence to prove that Saito have done this correctly, and I would happily concede to this evidence.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:19 AM
Didier

I think you are completely correct. You proved it already with a better and cooler running engine in your environment. I am completely convinced that the breaking cylinders is due to the timing completely wrong (together with hydro lock due to carb settings not correct or due to flooded engine during starting)
Old 12-03-2018, 05:12 AM
cathurga

I read the full article where you found those graphs you posted earlier in the thread and the in-cylinder pressure at 40deg BTDC was a LOT higher. When you compare the power difference between 30 and 40deg, it’s not that different. Given that cylinder No2 is even MORE advanced than the others, it stands to reason that it is most likely to suffer a failure, which is where most failures HAVE happened.
We haven’t even touched on the pressure on the piston, small bearing, big bearing and crankshaft with the timing being so far advanced.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Hyjinx

Default Hey Cat

When I was speaking to Morris, I suggested he visit the problem of the cylinder timing being different between them, given that some people have measured that they are not 120deg apart. I think he is looking into this as even if you made a new hub without considering this, the timing will still be slightly out. Having sensor housing with more range would be a less ‘complex’ way of getting the timing where it should be, but would still have the problem of the TDC’s of the lower cylinders out of alignment.
The very best solution would be to have a new prop hub, with locating pin in the correct position and the magnets set to give 30deg on each cylinder. Done like this, the engine would run flawlessly, with lots of power and no overheating. It will be at optimal performance ...IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.
remember, I am opento being proved wrong, maybe someone will be able to present evidence to prove that Saito have done this correctly, and I would happily concede to this evidence.
i have been fascinated monitoring this thread considering this condition with this motor s timing issue.
And it does seem like it is a timing issue with the hypothesis, testing and results put forward.
How bout we hire a machinist to mill a prop atapter to replace the oem, with the positioning of the magnets to actually fix the problem.
Then sell the rights to horizon hobby to compensate yourself for fixing their products engineering flaw.😁👍👍👍
Old 12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
cathurga

Hyjinx,
I think both Morris and CH-Ignitions are looking into it, and they are likely way more capable of putting out a hub that will work properly. But nobody would do this without some research and conclusive reasoning as to why it might be better. A machine shop would need to follow a planned process to get the holes drilled in the right place, get magnets of similar strengths and polarity and place/glue/bond them so they don’t come out and after doing all of that, it would mean tarnishing the brand of Saito in the process. Horizon, as a disti, would be putting their relationship at risk by saying that Saito is wrong, and so would Morris and CH-ignitions. It’s a viscious (radial) circle...lol!
i dont have the time ornthe tools to make a design and implement the plan, so will have to see what others are prepared to do.
it is unlikely we will seen an ‘official’ change of any sort.
I got one of my engines from RCJapan, and the other second hand, so I have no dealings or commitment to/from Horizon. I just want my engines to run properly without smashing them through ‘normal’ running.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM
foundryratjim

Here ya go

https://www.facebook.com/629927123734795/photos/a.654860107908163/2068016749925818/?type=3&theater
Old 12-03-2018, 11:26 PM
cathurga

Cool design. Just hope it is rugged enough and addresses the matter of the different timing of each cylinder. Looks good. Will be ordering today if he has.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Didier

Cool design. Just hope it is rugged enough and addresses the matter of the different timing of each cylinder. Looks good. Will be ordering today if he has.
Did you already get the info of Morris if the position of the magnets is adjusted to the geometry of the crankshaft?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 AM
cathurga

Didier, asked the question, not got an answer, I hope he has.....it would be most useful....and would stabilise all the temps and power output a little....lets see.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 AM
foundryratjim

Originally Posted by Didier
Did you already get the info of Morris if the position of the magnets is adjusted to the geometry of the crankshaft?
Can't tell much from the photo.
https://www.morrisminimotors.com/con...afg60r3-0.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.