Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 PM
ALFIEV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh... I had a look at it, Looks like the guy only wants to sell to local pick-up. Story of my life, so bloody hard to get decent large models into my country. I am on the verge of giving up on the Topflite Zero and getting a P-47 instead. Problem is, I have spent over $1000.00 US on landing gear and pilot for the zero on the understanding that Towerhobbies would have the zero in stock sometime in the near future (understood off their website advertising!!). It now appears they have no idea at all when these might become available (if ever) and have just been stringing me along. I don't think the Robart gear will suit/fit the P-47, and it just wouldn't look right with a Japanese pilot!!
I might be able to return the gear to Towerhobbies and exchange it for P-47 gear, but I will loose the tax I paid bringing it into the country, and the freight from USA and back to USA.

Really really bummed about all this. Moral of the story, don't believe the representations made on websites, even "reputable" businesses like Tower. You are setting yourself up for major heartache!!!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 PM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by ALFIEV
Ahhh... I had a look at it, Looks like the guy only wants to sell to local pick-up. Story of my life, so bloody hard to get decent large models into my country. I am on the verge of giving up on the Topflite Zero and getting a P-47 instead. Problem is, I have spent over $1000.00 US on landing gear and pilot for the zero on the understanding that Towerhobbies would have the zero in stock sometime in the near future (understood off their website advertising!!). It now appears they have no idea at all when these might become available (if ever) and have just been stringing me along. I don't think the Robart gear will suit/fit the P-47, and it just wouldn't look right with a Japanese pilot!!
I might be able to return the gear to Towerhobbies and exchange it for P-47 gear, but I will loose the tax I paid bringing it into the country, and the freight from USA and back to USA.

Really really bummed about all this. Moral of the story, don't believe the representations made on websites, even "reputable" businesses like Tower. You are setting yourself up for major heartache!!!
I feel your pain Bro!
I've been waiting on a lower wing for my 50cc Aeroworks Ultimate Bipe for 2 months and no one has an ETA. But on a good note... I somehow lost the coil spring that goes in the spark plug cap of my 55cc engine and Horizon is sending me one at no charge
Dan
Old 02-10-2016, 04:47 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the plug gap for these engines, it is not in the manual Thanks
Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 AM
johnhi

Hi ALFIEV there is one TF zero left for sale on this German website Lindinger Modellbau

https://www.lindinger.at/en/airplane...treuer-warbird

good luck
john
Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM
johnhi

one left here https://www.lindinger.at/en/airplane...treuer-warbird
Old 02-11-2016, 11:54 AM
johnhi

1 left on this web site too in France http://www.intermodel.fr/warbirds/26...-topflite.html

Last edited by johnhi; 02-11-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 PM
johnhi

and another one here in Germany http://www.der-schweighofer.net/prod..._arf_top_flite
Old 02-11-2016, 12:29 PM
ALFIEV

johnni, that is awesome thanks. I kinda didn't really look towards Europe. Had checked a few sites but they were out of stock. I have ordered one from Germany. It will be interesting to see what the shipping charge is compared with USA. Well, it costs what it costs!! At least I appear to have secured one of these models. We'll see aye!!

Thanks again for your help.

Alf
Old 02-11-2016, 12:35 PM
johnhi

johnni, that is awesome thanks. I kinda didn't really look towards Europe. Had checked a few sites but they were out of stock. I have ordered one from Germany. It will be interesting to see what the shipping charge is compared with USA. Well, it costs what it costs!! At least I appear to have secured one of these models. We'll see aye!!

Thanks again for your help.

Alf
glad to help, I have found the German websites to be really efficient at delivery, I hope you find that too.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:58 AM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by aquaskiman
No one knows the plug gap?????
Old 02-12-2016, 06:50 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess you need to call horizon product support then let us know what they say. That's probably the best answer anyway even if someone did tell you something over the internet... thx.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 AM
johnhi

Hi I believe it should be around 0.9mm. Check out the discussion on the gas radial engines on this web forum via this link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...ngines-14.html

John
Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 AM
deadstick79

I'm going to measure the gap of all three of my plugs while their new and average them!
Dan
Old 02-12-2016, 07:17 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by johnhi
Hi I believe it should be around 0.9mm. Check out the discussion on the gas radial engines on this web forum via this link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...ngines-14.html

John
Well, that settles that I made a test stand similar to yours and am almost ready to break her in !
Dan
Old 02-12-2016, 07:21 AM
aquaskiman

thanks Dan and John
Old 02-12-2016, 08:48 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Yah it doesn't say the plug gap. I know that my Saito gasoline FG-21 says between 16 and 20 thousandths. This has the same jug size and piston I think as that engine, so is that a clue?

Anyone strip out their carb barrel extension yet? I tightened mine up last night and instantly pulled the threads out. Thanks for putting two threads in there Saito! haha I'll spin up a better one on my lathe tonight.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1679.PNG
Views:	1013
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2146840  
Old 02-12-2016, 09:11 AM
luckymacy

Horizon Hobby product support says the gap is to be from 0.016 to 0.020

Last edited by luckymacy; 02-12-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Timbers
Thanks for putting two threads in there Saito! haha I'll spin up a better one on my lathe tonight.

They say when you only have a hammer every problem looks like a nail...when you own a lathe every problem looks like a turning project!

Why not turn a press fit sleeve that fits over the existing part. Drill and tap two new holes with more threads.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 PM
deadstick79

Gotta luv this thread
Old 02-12-2016, 11:10 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by deadstick79
Gotta luv this thread
any update on the Morris carb upgrade?

Im thinking about doing this as well to maximize flying/tuning ratio.

cheers

Last edited by marksp; 02-13-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:44 AM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by marksp
any update on the Morris carb upgrade?

Im thinking about doing this as well

cheers
I would also like some info like where to buy it. I am having vapor lock trouble with the cowl on my Top Flight Zero. I fly at 5400 ft that and winter fuel.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:27 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I would also like some info like where to buy it. I am having vapor lock trouble with the cowl on my Top Flight Zero. I fly at 5400 ft that and winter fuel.
http://www.morrisminimotors.com/#!pr...conversion-kit

Last edited by marksp; 02-13-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:00 AM
deadstick79

Hey Guys,
I too am at 5500 ft!
I am having trouble getting the set screw out that is opposite of the screw that holds the saito carb in! I have the right allen wrench but it just slips! I'm thinking of just pulling that sleeve out by force then the screw should come out easily! I will definitely replace it with a regular allen screw!
Will keep you all posted!
Dan
Old 02-13-2016, 08:04 AM
deadstick79

Here's the correspondence I've had with Helinut who's original post got me interested in the Walbro setup in the first place:

Originally Posted by helinut1

How's it goin!
Ordered the walbro conversion from Morris yesterday!
I would like to install it and do the initial break in of the fg60 and was wondering what to set the needles at for the first start-up! I sure don't want her to go over 4000rpm right out of the chute!
How is yours doing?
Sure are a bunch of guys who say Morris's beauty can't work on this motor!
Appreciate your insight!
Dan

Dan I started out with 2 turns on low and 2 turns on high it was a great place to start I had to go 1/8 turn leaner on high after flying but thats about it this set up works great and is very easy to tune . I think the RPM is higher and engine runs better with this carb set up. I do have to choke the carb to initial start after that it starts with just a flip of the prop . Any other questions I would be glad to try and help , mine is still running strong .

Many thanks!
Did you break your's in with the walbro? At those settings?
Gonna oil her up good and start to break her in this weekend
I did use the walbro carb for break in ran the engine about 2 hours on a test stand before putting it in my plane .I have a kelio exhaust ring on it also , great sound . the reason i decided to break the engine in with this carb is that it sounded like it was easy to tune . i worked with Morris a lot sending him several drawings of the engine and dimensions of the carb and adapter to finally get one made . The first one we made was not quite right and we made some changes to what he has now . I believe he made 4-5 manifold set ups for this engine you are probably the second to get one . I have a second run adapter just like yours and it fits on nice . I ran the screws in where i wanted them to be then tapped the marked locations now my adapter will not come out and o ring seals the system nice .
Old 02-13-2016, 08:10 AM
deadstick79

Here a copy of the discussion I've had with Helinut who's post got me interested in the conversion in the first place!

Originally Posted by helinut1

How's it goin!
Ordered the walbro conversion from Morris yesterday!
I would like to install it and do the initial break in of the fg60 and was wondering what to set the needles at for the first start-up! I sure don't want her to go over 4000rpm right out of the chute!
How is yours doing?
Sure are a bunch of guys who say Morris's beauty can't work on this motor!
Appreciate your insight!
Dan

Dan I started out with 2 turns on low and 2 turns on high it was a great place to start I had to go 1/8 turn leaner on high after flying but thats about it this set up works great and is very easy to tune . I think the RPM is higher and engine runs better with this carb set up. I do have to choke the carb to initial start after that it starts with just a flip of the prop . Any other questions I would be glad to try and help , mine is still running strong

Many thanks!
Did you break your's in with the walbro? At those settings?
Gonna oil her up good and start to break her in this weekend

I did use the walbro carb for break in ran the engine about 2 hours on a test stand before putting it in my plane .I have a kelio exhaust ring on it also , great sound . the reason i decided to break the engine in with this carb is that it sounded like it was easy to tune . i worked with Morris a lot sending him several drawings of the engine and dimensions of the carb and adapter to finally get one made . The first one we made was not quite right and we made some changes to what he has now . I believe he made 4-5 manifold set ups for this engine you are probably the second to get one . I have a second run adapter just like yours and it fits on nice . I ran the screws in where i wanted them to be then tapped the marked locations now my adapter will not come out and o ring seals the system nice .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.