My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info deadstick...............I just ordered one
Old 02-13-2016, 08:40 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for sharing that!

I currently have a FG-33R3 and FG-60R3 both of which have the Ray English mods. Honestly, they run great when tuned, but do require a fair amount of fiddling to keep tuned. Access to high speed needle is ok, but the low speed is a bit of a challenge on these engines. My goal is less frequent fiddling and more flying. For me $150 is worth that.

Cheers
Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 AM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by marksp
Thanks for sharing that!

I currently have a FG-33R3 and FG-60R3 both of which have the Ray English mods. Honestly, they run great when tuned, but do require a fair amount of fiddling to keep tuned. Access to high speed needle is ok, but the low speed is a bit of a challenge on these engines. My goal is less frequent fiddling and more flying. For me $150 is worth that.

Cheers
Yes they seem to need a lot of tuning to keep them running right.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 AM
aquaskiman

Where does the new carb get the pump pulse from?
Old 02-13-2016, 09:52 AM
johnhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered one too, I just couldn't get the bottom end of mine tuned right with the Saito carb, so here's to hoping the Mirris Mini Motors carb it sorts it out and makes life easier. Can anyone post some pictures of the Moris Mini Motors carb conversion set up?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 AM
helinut1

Morris has worked out the pulse for the carb its an adapter plate that gets pulse from the intake pulse works great pump on carb seems to keep up with demand . Morris has pictures on there web site of other adapters which are almost the same . I dont know if he has added pictures of the FG 60.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:42 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by johnhi
I just ordered one too, I just couldn't get the bottom end of mine tuned right with the Saito carb, so here's to hoping the Mirris Mini Motors carb it sorts it out and makes life easier. Can anyone post some pictures of the Moris Mini Motors carb conversion set up?
Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	walbro conversion.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2147177  
Old 02-14-2016, 06:46 AM
johnhi

Thanks Dan.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:01 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadstick79

Here you go:
What exactly are we solving here? I've seen enough of these running fine stock I'm perplexed.

Secondly, is there consensus that a LiFe battery works as well as a higher voltage 2s LiPo or is an unregulated lipo more reliable especially at idle?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:12 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Don't know about consensus, but mine runs really well on a 2S LiFe.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:23 AM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by radfordc
Don't know about consensus, but mine runs really well on a 2S LiFe.
Ever saw in print or ever estimated what the approx mah draw at full rpm was? Normally I wouldn't care either but in this case I want the battery as small as possible and still get 3 fifteen minutes flights in without recharging.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:06 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by helinut1
Morris has worked out the pulse for the carb its an adapter plate that gets pulse from the intake pulse works great pump on carb seems to keep up with demand . Morris has pictures on there web site of other adapters which are almost the same . I dont know if he has added pictures of the FG 60.
The choke lever on mine is at a strange position for actuating it and turning it around on the shaft would do nothing! How did you do yours?
Old 02-14-2016, 09:41 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by luckymacy
Ever saw in print or ever estimated what the approx mah draw at full rpm was? Normally I wouldn't care either but in this case I want the battery as small as possible and still get 3 fifteen minutes flights in without recharging.
I used a 1100 mah 2S LiFe during breakin. Ran for over an hour at full throttle with no problem.

My plane has a 1450 mah LiFe and I flew 5 flights last time out.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:37 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

I thought about a sleeve but it would have taken me just as long to make. Yer right about the lathe comment!

Heres the new barrel extension I made. It has plenty of thread so you can tighten down the set screws without fearing they are going to rip the two threads out. I made it a little bit smaller than the diameter of the carb barrel itself.

Originally Posted by radfordc
They say when you only have a hammer every problem looks like a nail...when you own a lathe every problem looks like a turning project!

Why not turn a press fit sleeve that fits over the existing part. Drill and tap two new holes with more threads.

Name:	IMG_1714.PNG
Views:	997
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2147371  

Last edited by Timbers; 02-15-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 AM
Timbers

What exactly are we solving here? I've seen enough of these running fine stock I'm perplexed.

Secondly, is there consensus that a LiFe battery works as well as a higher voltage 2s LiPo or is an unregulated lipo more reliable especially at idle?

I agree. I bought this engine over the FG33R3 or FG84R3 because I read that Saito fixed the intake problem and it didn't need any Ray English mods. Now I see people sending them to Ray English as well as replacing the carb.

The engine ran great for me on my test stand and I'm hoping it will run just as good in the air when I try it this Spring.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:13 AM
aquaskiman

I don't know about others but my engine seems to hold the low speed setting well but over 1/2 throttle it seems to always need to be tweaked a little. Also I am having vapor lock trouble that most likely would not show up at sea level and non winter fuel blends
Old 02-15-2016, 06:56 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm at sea level in moderate climate, yet I almost always require touching needles to optimize performance. Also, just about always require a starter for 1st start.

Hopeful for hand starts (w/choke), and occasional tuning like all my other Walbro equipped engines. Net - less fussing; more flying.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:12 PM
helinut1

My carb set up from Morris came with a intake flute plate on the outside of the carb with no choke plate on the carb. There is not much room in my plane to get to set up a choke and servo , also due to weight I did not put a choke system in the plane . I go through the front landing gear area with a tool I made to plug the opening on the carb . Since this only has to be done first start of the day I prime it before bringing it to the flight line and off we go. I have done gas airplanes for a long time with many different motors and always liked the Walbro carbs for there ease of adjustment and they dont change over time to need re adjusting all the time . Its just the way I like things and what I am familiar with. those of you that have made it work with the stock carb I am sure it runs great .
Old 02-15-2016, 06:51 PM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by helinut1
My carb set up from Morris came with a intake flute plate on the outside of the carb with no choke plate on the carb. There is not much room in my plane to get to set up a choke and servo , also due to weight I did not put a choke system in the plane . I go through the front landing gear area with a tool I made to plug the opening on the carb . Since this only has to be done first start of the day I prime it before bringing it to the flight line and off we go. I have done gas airplanes for a long time with many different motors and always liked the Walbro carbs for there ease of adjustment and they dont change over time to need re adjusting all the time . Its just the way I like things and what I am familiar with. those of you that have made it work with the stock carb I am sure it runs great .
Right On!
I only had one gasser before the three I have now and it was way back in the 80s'! It was a Quadra 40 and had no choke just a finger in the carb
It also had a "cup" instead of standoffs and a spring went in the cup to shaft "spring start". It was a great little engine
Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys, I think this motor will be a great fit for a Jerry Bates Dauntless Im building. I originally was going to use a Satio 300 twin, but it did not sound as good as I thought it would.

So from what I understand this motor comes with all the mods needed to run well correct?

How has the warranty been from Horizon with any issues?

How long do you need to run it in, before putting her up in the air?

thanks Mike
Old 02-17-2016, 07:47 PM
helinut1

Hi mike this engine does come with what you need to run it with no mods. Some things you might want to look into is the kelio exhaust ring this makes the motor sound even better and is great for getting the exhaust out of the cowel. As for break in I ran mine for 2 hours about 3/4 to a full gallon of gas at a very rich setting . I have not had to warranty anything with Horizon but others in this thread have and they seem to take care of any problems .
Old 02-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Timbers

Same here. Ran for about 2 hours on the ground. Horizon has the best service of any company I've ever dealt with. Had my FG-21 and countless other products in and they fixed it fast and had it right back to me. I'll post how the fg-60r3 runs in the air as soon as the snow melts!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:50 PM
helinut1

Dan did you have a chance to run your engine up over the weekend and if so how did it go .
Old 02-18-2016, 05:52 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

I have run mine on a test stand for about two hours also.No problems.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Bushrider

Originally Posted by cathurga
Hey Guys,

When mounting the engine in my plane, the throttle position is VERY awkward, I would like to flip it 180 degrees. Is it possible to do it on these engines?

Regards
Hi there ,
After being happy with my FG14C I am close to get an FG60R for my PITTīs S1 .
I was reading all evening through all the 18 pages of this thread but could not find an answer to my question .
The firewall of the Pitts is wide enough to accomodate the FG60 but I do not have enough space from the prop shaft center to the top .
Means mounting the FG60 with cyl nr 1 in the top position it would exceed the available space to the cowling .
If I invert the motor that cyl 2 & 3 are on the top and cyl 1 is directed straight down it will fit straight in .
Are there any concerns operating the motor inverted ?
Thanks in advance !

Name:	File 17-02-2016, 16 01 59.jpeg
Views:	1069
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2148189  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.