Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No compression means either a valve stuck open, a bad/broken ring, or a hole in the piston. Can you see each valve moving up and down?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM
ptdan

The valves work just fine, the gap is spot on!!!! So it has to be the piston or the ring!!! And it is brand new... Sucks
Old 05-09-2016, 12:46 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a air compressor watch the intake valve open than close than turn to TDC and put some air through plug hole, listen for the air to come out. You most likely have a stuck valve. If so put a lot of oil on valve, work it up and down with finger and see if you can get it loose.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:32 PM
ptdan

Good morning
il take it to work, and try the air thing.. Thanks for your replys
regards Dan
Old 05-10-2016, 05:10 AM
ptdan

So i tried the air thing, the valves are good. No leaks there, but the air comes out off the carburator. When i blow air threw the plug hole!!!! Is that a broken piston ring?????
Old 05-10-2016, 05:18 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ptdan
So i tried the air thing, the valves are good. No leaks there, but the air comes out off the carburator. When i blow air threw the plug hole!!!! Is that a broken piston ring?????
The intake valve is open, not seated, that's why there is no compression.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:21 AM
ptdan

I tripple checked the valves, cant see anything is wrong
Old 05-10-2016, 05:32 AM
radfordc

If the ring were leaking you would hear air coming out of the crankcase vent. Air from the carb means intake valve leaking.

It could be that there is some sort of obstruction under the valve head that is preventing it from closing fully. You might try opening the intake valve and then blow air into the carb. This could possibly clear any obstruction.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:26 AM
ptdan

i pulled the cylinder off, all look good. used my mouth to make preasure in the cylinder. It was all tight and good, then i put the engine together. No compression, but when i take off the rocker arm screw. That thing for valve adjustment, lots off compression... Arghhhhh

Last edited by ptdan; 05-10-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:34 AM
chorner

ptdan.... come on man! You just said when you adjusted the rocker arm screw, you gained compression... you have it too tight... it's not rocket science bud.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM
ptdan

OMG!!!! You are so ****ing right������ wy did i NOT see that.. Thanks a bunch�� but it is still weird, after just one flight!!
Old 05-10-2016, 12:35 PM
radfordc

The adjusting screw should have a lock nut to hold the adjustment. Is yours there?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:16 AM
ptdan

Hi again
Ive tried everything now, adjusted the rocker arm screw 10 times. New piston ring, nothing works.. Even Chorner idea dosnt work, it sucks!!!!!!!! Everything looks fine, arghhhhhh
Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 AM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by ptdan
Hi again
Ive tried everything now, adjusted the rocker arm screw 10 times. New piston ring, nothing works.. Even Chorner idea dosnt work, it sucks!!!!!!!! Everything looks fine, arghhhhhh
can you post a close up pic of the rocker arms at TDC on compression stroke?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:01 AM
cathurga

If its not in the top of the distribution circuit, then there might be a possibility something is happening further down, either in the pushrods or cam. Agree though, that a pic of the rockers doing their thing, or better yet, a video of a full cycle through all four strokes, would help.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:01 PM
ptdan

Hi
i took the valves out, nothing wrong.. Had a friend(mechanic) look at the cam and pushrods, the timing is good.. It has to be the valves, somehow!!!! And the Company where i bought the engine, dosnt bother. Or answer my emails
Old 05-13-2016, 12:09 PM
aquaskiman

If the valves are sealing when the cylinder is off or the rocker arms are removed and leaking when it is put together than something is holding the valve open. A close up pic would help.

Last edited by aquaskiman; 05-14-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:39 PM
ptdan

I put the engine together again, this morning. After i had the valves out, same problem... Cant see a picture would help, really stressed about it!!!!!!! The engine Have a great weekend
Old 05-13-2016, 11:55 PM
cathurga

I get the feeling you don't understand the suck-squeeze-bang-blow concept of the 4-cycle engine. If you did, you would understand where to start looking for the problem and WHY the problem exists to start with.
I can tell you that a cylinder that HAD compression, and loses it...has to have suffered component failure, or changes were made to cause the new state.
I am not being condescending, I am merely trying to help you, since you are unable to post a pic.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:57 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If I were you I'd ship the engine to Horizon and get if fixed. It might be a bother but clearly you don't have the skills to diagnose the problems.
You'll be far better off in the long run.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:29 PM
shultz21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok fellas, so i have read over this thread 3 times now, as well as followed others opinions on this engine, and i for one would love one and love a radial but am terrified about the potential results. airframes are 50-80cc warbirds, and i was planning on either the fg84, fg60, da85 or da60. now those of you that have these, with hindsight being 20/20 would you buy them again? from what i have found roughly around 7-10 people have had crack issues, now while that is alarming, my thoughts today is at what ratio? per 1000? or more? maybe they just happened to come out of a ****ty casting batch or something? or maybe made on a friday? im just trying to get info before i pull the trigger on anything.

ps yes i know grammer is awful, i do not feel like grammering at the moment. thanks fellas
Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 PM
MDavis28

So make that 8out of 10. My #2 cracked as well. Non the less at Joe Nall Friday afternoon. Horizon peeps had already packed andpulled up stakes. They sent me a replacment jug that has the correct # on it but is clearly the wrong one. Also the gasket set is back ordered. Matt said that it was fine if I did the work and that HH would still honor the warrant in the future. I'm in between KY and Nashville a lot these days so no telling when I'll get her going again. I will say it never quit, just ran poorly. No problem landing or even a taxi to the side line. I still love this engine and would buy another one just to hear that sound on a slow flyby.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:02 AM
cathurga

Mine hasn't cracked....yet. I hope it doesn't. I had her out this morning and she was running sweetly. I was trying to get some more revs out of her, but it seems that in a safe zone of needle-settings, 6400 rpm on the ground is max, but she certainly revs out a little more in the air. I was messing with the LSN to try and get the transition smooth, without all the smoke, there seems to be a lot of it, but this may be as I am running on 15:1 that I was using to break her in on, as well as the original spark plugs which are still going. Will replace all of that with 20:1 and some new plugs. Problem is, the plugs I have are not Saito, and don't have the 'notch' for the spring clips. I hope the leads stay on well enough. One thing that has changed temps DRAMATICALLY is the baffle I made. Previously I was getting temps into 150 Deg C and above. This was according to the Spektrum TM1000 mounted on the top cylinder. I measured the temps with a laser temp checker and it was always showing 10-15 Deg C less than spectrum. Since putting the baffle in, temps go as high as 140, so the baffle makes a huge difference

So after todays flight, I started stripping the motor to do the moris mini walbro conversion, set the valve gaps and put new plugs. Some interesting obeservations I made....
No 1 cylinder valve gaps are larger than the others and the rocker areas are quite 'dry' in comparison with the other two. This means that for sure there is less lubrication happening on the top cylinder.

The carb comes of pretty easily, but there is an orange/yellow insert in the induction point.....can anyone who has done the conversion, advise me on how to get rid of this thing?

Regards
Old 05-24-2016, 05:13 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Wow when you say cracked you mean the whole jug broke off just like the rest of the guys? I heard some guys saying that when this happens the engine dies, or it makes a horrible noise as the jug starts flopping around.

I'm excited to hear that yours kept running. My biggest fear is a flameout. I can barely land my big plane consistently on our small field as it is, so I really don't feel like deadsticking it due to a jug breaking off.

Originally Posted by MDavis28
So make that 8out of 10. My #2 cracked as well. Non the less at Joe Nall Friday afternoon. Horizon peeps had already packed andpulled up stakes. They sent me a replacment jug that has the correct # on it but is clearly the wrong one. Also the gasket set is back ordered. Matt said that it was fine if I did the work and that HH would still honor the warrant in the future. I'm in between KY and Nashville a lot these days so no telling when I'll get her going again. I will say it never quit, just ran poorly. No problem landing or even a taxi to the side line. I still love this engine and would buy another one just to hear that sound on a slow flyby.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 AM
MDavis28

On my 60 it just didn't sound right. I had full throttle and glanced down to see it @ 5400 or so which is about 1k off. Plus it was just after take off, so I dropped rpm to about 1/3 and brought her in. Only the 2 back ears had cracked. When I took the jug off the ears were still attached in some places. The piston still looks good with no marring. I had right around 6hrs of run time. I mean fun time. Before this happened. So I guess knowing the performance and getting use to the plane really helped play a roll in not having a catastrophic failure in the air. That, an I was blessed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.