Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 05:36 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slither
I hear you. At this point I guess I am leaning toward sending mine to Ray for the mods... might as well have something to show for the money. Still, I have some disappointment with Saito and Horizon on this... it was supposed to have the mods already done. At lease it got the bushing.
I finely got mine running right with summer gas and the stock exhaust. I had smooth transition and a top end of 6600 with a 22X10 until the rod broke. I havn't seen any other posts about rod breaking so seems to be a isolated failure
Old 11-20-2016, 02:11 PM
TomH
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I understand the nature of your last post... did I insult you somehow? Horizon has a sale every year, but you are correct, we do not know for sure if they will do the same thing this year. I guess we'll have to wait until next week.

I have been wrestling with this same issue. I can send mine off to Ray English for modification, but that is not insignificant, price-wise, or I can try to sell it, like you, but then I would take a beating on it... for the same reason I mentioned above. Kinda stuck on this one... either way it is money gone.
Send it to Ray, you won't be disappointed. I sent him my new 60r3 just to make sure all of his mods were done in the revised version when it was re introduced, and to break it in for me. I finally got it mounted and fired it up yesterday. It's in an Extreme Flight 91" Yak. I took a 30sec. Video of it, don't know that I know how to post it, I'll try. Right now the only prop I have is a 23x8. I turned 6250WOT
and got it to idle at 975, I set it idle @ 1000-1100. It has the Keleo ring and it sound great, had know idea it would sound so quite. I bought a OS 300, 5 cyl. That I'm send to Ray, want to convert it to ignition, so I don't have to mess with glow drivers, and he is going to install a Keleo ring on it for me.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:29 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running mine "stock" and not disappointed in the least!
Old 11-20-2016, 08:03 PM
slither

Originally Posted by TomH
Send it to Ray, you won't be disappointed. I sent him my new 60r3 just to make sure all of his mods were done in the revised version when it was re introduced, and to break it in for me.
Two questions, Tom. First, what mods did Ray do to your motor and what did he charge?

Second, what do you mean by "revised version that was re introduced"? I was not aware of a second version of the FG60R3... please fill us in on this.

Looking forward to seeing the video!!
Old 11-21-2016, 03:14 AM
TomH

Two questions, Tom. First, what mods did Ray do to your motor and what did he charge?

Second, what do you mean by "revised version that was re introduced"? I was not aware of a second version of the FG60R3... please fill us in on this.

Looking forward to seeing the video!!
well if you go back and search the forum for this engine you can get caught up, one of the big issues was the temp between the cylinders had a fairly large difference and the bushing was an issue as well. As I remember it Ray English had a fix that he patented and Saito used it for a revised production of the 60. I think that the first new batch of motors were released in Dec. 2014, but don't hold me to that. his improvements pretty much did way with the temp issues & bushing failures. when I sent him my motor he had also come up with a carb modification. I think that is the last of his mods for this motor that I am aware of. I have not talked with Ray in about 6 months. At that time he was testing the 19R3 and said it was looking real good as well. the 84R3 I think is the only motor that does not have his mods done at the production stage. I believe you still have to send them to him. I tried to look thru my papers but I could not find what it cost for him to break it in and do the carb. mod. I do know that he is very certain that the only oil to use is the Morgan's Syn., and mixed at a 15:1 ratio, and to use non-ethanol gas if you can. Oh I also believe you can do a YouTube search and there is a video of Ray tearing down a 84R3, and explaining his work. hope this helps, still can't figure out to post video, can email it you if you want to se it, just p.m. me.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:59 AM
MDavis28

I didn't get my engine until June of 2015. It was my birthday present. I am pretty sure that the FG-60 has always had the con rod bushing and new plenum design. I think they compared it to the old version of the FG-84 which is now the new FG-90! I have a reliable idle of 1100-1300 rpm. The only time it idled at 850 was when the no2 exhaust valve was adjusted too tight and didn't close all the way. But it idled like a champ at 850.
my .02

also I flew mine yesterday for 2-10 min sessions. I was very surprised to see no oil residue from the exhaust. It had plenty coming out of the crank case vent but usually some comes out of the exhaust. I am on my 5th gallon with this engine. It was only 55*F here and my engine temp got up to 277*F (long periods of wot) with a post landing temp of 160*F and 130 by the time I taxied back.

Another update is that my no1 exhaust valve doesn't squeak anymore and has oil in the cap, not as much as the other but it's not bone dry anymore.

Last edited by MDavis28; 11-21-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: updates
Old 11-22-2016, 02:53 AM
TomH

Originally Posted by MDavis28
I didn't get my engine until June of 2015. It was my birthday present. I am pretty sure that the FG-60 has always had the con rod bushing and new plenum design. I think they compared it to the old version of the FG-84 which is now the new FG-90! I have a reliable idle of 1100-1300 rpm. The only time it idled at 850 was when the no2 exhaust valve was adjusted too tight and didn't close all the way. But it idled like a champ at 850.
my .02

also I flew mine yesterday for 2-10 min sessions. I was very surprised to see no oil residue from the exhaust. It had plenty coming out of the crank case vent but usually some comes out of the exhaust. I am on my 5th gallon with this engine. It was only 55*F here and my engine temp got up to 277*F (long periods of wot) with a post landing temp of 160*F and 130 by the time I taxied back.

Another update is that my no1 exhaust valve doesn't squeak anymore and has oil in the cap, not as much as the other but it's not bone dry anymore.

5 gallons, that's good to hear. my exhaust was dry when I did a test run the other day, but I noticed on my shop floor a day later that some oil dripped out of the exhaust onto the floor. I did re-route the crankcase vent just under the cowl. what plane do you have your 60r in. I have the Keleo ring exhaust tap plugged, not sure if some of the oily exhaust residue would end up in the tank, are you using the exhaust to pressurize the tank?
T
Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 AM
MDavis28

TomH, I have mine in a Top Flight P-47 razorback. I also have the Keleo exhaust ring. An I do have the exhaust tap plugged. I routed my crank case vent out to the tail of the plane. I used Tyson tubing for the length of the plane and I used brass tubing at the tail retract area so that is comes out just past the retract bay. I do not have my tank pressurized.
Here is a link to RCG where I posted my build it kinda starts on pg.5.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2389765&page=5

Last edited by MDavis28; 11-22-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:12 PM
TomH

any one know when the 90r3 will be out, I see they are taking pre-orders. I would assume that the mods required on the 84 were incorporated in this 90. I guess a new thread will be started when it finally arrives.
Tom
Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM
slither

well if you go back and search the forum for this engine you can get caught up, one of the big issues was the temp between the cylinders had a fairly large difference and the bushing was an issue as well. As I remember it Ray English had a fix that he patented and Saito used it for a revised production of the 60. I think that the first new batch of motors were released in Dec. 2014, but don't hold me to that. his improvements pretty much did way with the temp issues & bushing failures. when I sent him my motor he had also come up with a carb modification. I think that is the last of his mods for this motor that I am aware of. I have not talked with Ray in about 6 months. At that time he was testing the 19R3 and said it was looking real good as well. the 84R3 I think is the only motor that does not have his mods done at the production stage. I believe you still have to send them to him. I tried to look thru my papers but I could not find what it cost for him to break it in and do the carb. mod.
Been here since the beginning, Tom... I agree with MDavis that the FG60R3 had the bushing from the start. In my post above you will read that I had a conversation with Ray where he explained that the FG60R3 was released 6 weeks before he signed the agreement with Saito to use his modifications. Interestingly, the video that you reference has an intermediate version of the intake plenum modifications, according to Ray, and Saito saw this and used it on the FG60R3... that is why there are temp variations between cylinders. See my previous post #961 for more info. I was wondering if you knew of a newer version of the engine... thus my question.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:25 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Good news is the FG-60R3 service is far less expensive than either the FG-33 or 84 given it only mods the plenum to optimize volume and tweaks the carb to match flow characteristics of plenum and engine displacement. Ray gets bonus points for getting an additional 700-800 RPM as well. Also Ray offers a version of the Keleo ring (Kelvin makes it to Ray's spec) that utilizes FG-84 tubing which yields a slight increase in performance and deeper exhaust tone.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 AM
TomH

Been here since the beginning, Tom... I agree with MDavis that the FG60R3 had the bushing from the start. In my post above you will read that I had a conversation with Ray where he explained that the FG60R3 was released 6 weeks before he signed the agreement with Saito to use his modifications. Interestingly, the video that you reference has an intermediate version of the intake plenum modifications, according to Ray, and Saito saw this and used it on the FG60R3... that is why there are temp variations between cylinders. See my previous post #961 for more info. I was wondering if you knew of a newer version of the engine... thus my question.
No new version, but I thought Ray used a bushing of higher quality, that's if my memory serves me correctly. I think that I paid $200.00 for the last mod, to break -in, and install my Keleo ring. Had I known that he had a version of the ring, I would have bought his.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:40 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Could some one post Ray English's contact information. thank you
Old 11-23-2016, 11:16 AM
marksp

Had I known that he had a version of the ring, I would have bought his.
Indeed!

In fact, I'm on the fence as to whether I "upgrade" to Keleo mod version, go with the Saito titanium or Hielscher out of Germany. Don't need more power, but really dig the deeper exhaust tone.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:18 AM
marksp

Ray English
9625 Oakley Lane
Reno, NV 89511

(775) 771-0824
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 11-23-2016, 01:10 PM
slither

Originally Posted by marksp
Indeed!

In fact, I'm on the fence as to whether I "upgrade" to Keleo mod version, go with the Saito titanium or Hielscher out of Germany. Don't need more power, but really dig the deeper exhaust tone.
Hielscher was hard to contact and finally told me he will not deal with us over here in the States because he had too much hassle...
Old 11-23-2016, 01:12 PM
slither

Also Ray offers a version of the Keleo ring (Kelvin makes it to Ray's spec) that utilizes FG-84 tubing which yields a slight increase in performance and deeper exhaust tone.
I am glad that I am not the only one who heard that... I plan to get one if I send my engine to him for mods.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:52 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've run my engine on a test stand for about 35 minutes so far. The mix is 15:1 sthil ultra premium oil.
My max rpm with a 22x8 is about 6500 or so..
The temps are pretty even but #1 is coolest.. The other two cylinders are similar in temps.
So far its been pretty much a simple break in with out issues.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:07 PM
slither

Originally Posted by aquaskiman
There is a brand new Saito Radial FG60R3 listed on RCU in the engine section. For any one looking
Well George, I was way wrong on Horizon Hobby's Black Friday sale... looks like your engine is the best deal out there on a brand new FG60R3!
Old 11-25-2016, 12:31 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Well George, I was way wrong on Horizon Hobby's Black Friday sale... looks like your engine is the best deal out there on a brand new FG60R3!
It already sold
Old 11-25-2016, 04:19 PM
slither

Originally Posted by aquaskiman
It already sold

Well, I can't say I am surprised... like I said, it turned out to be the best deal around on that radial.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:07 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Yah I agree Slither, I was going to buy an FG-19R3 to complement my FG-60R3 but Horizon didn't run a 15% off black Friday sale like they did last year. Maybe they will have a Christmas sale. Sucks!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Timbers

https://youtu.be/qf98FBaQdXY Heres a video of me flying my FG-60R3 in my Tarheel Hal yesterday here in Milwaukee. About 37F when I started it. It starts hard in the cold! It will fire right away but you won't get more than 2500RPM out of it until at least 1 to 1.5 minutes of slowly moving the throttle back and forth to try to warm the cylinders up. Once the cylinders all warm up it runs fine. I had it on the ground trying to get RPM out of it for about 3 minutes before takeoff. Once it was in the air it ran great. Flew it for 3 x 10minute flights yesterday.

I agree with RadfordRC, no mods needed on this thing. It runs just fine. Keleo exhaust ring is easy to install yourself and sounds awesome. Doesn't matter to me that the cylinder head temps aren't all exactly even. The only issue I see is in the mid-range, on the bottom half of a loop if you back off the throttle the engine sounds like its stuttering. I'm not concerned about it enough to attempt any modification because for me it runs just fine.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:45 PM
marksp

Originally Posted by Timbers
Here's a video of me flying my FG-60R3 in my Tarheel Hal yesterday here in Milwaukee.
Fantastic!

I'm finishing the installation of same engine/ARF combo. How did you approach engine baffling? What prop/spinner are you running?

Cheers
Old 11-30-2016, 07:57 AM
Timbers

Fantastic!

I'm finishing the installation of same engine/ARF combo. How did you approach engine baffling? What prop/spinner are you running?

Cheers
MarkSP, I'm running an APC 22x10 prop and the stock Top Flite P47 spinner that came with the ARF. I had to chuck the spinner up in my lathe and bore the center out quite a bit in order to fit over the prop nut on the FG-60R3.

Baffling I used the stock fake radial that came with the ARF, and used my own piece of plywood backing for it, instead of using the plywood that came with the ARF. I cut out three holes in the front, one in front of each cylinder on the radial. I then used balsa sheet and some balsa squares and cut and glued enough balsa to direct the air from the front of the engine back past each cylinder. That way I could guarantee any air coming in at least makes it past each cylinder and doesn't blow off in some other direction. I sealed everything as tight as I could get it, using some aluminum HVAC tape.

When I come down from flying, the sides of my P47 are warm right behind the cowl, so I know hot air is coming out nicely. I can also feel the hot air coming out when I put my hand there and goose the throttle.

The APC prop's hole is mis-drilled. I think all of their props are. Most guys don't notice, they just balance it and fly it, which is probably fine. I noticed mine when I tightened it down onto the prop hub it was crooked, thats how mis-drilled it was! I re-drilled it square and center, made a metal sleeve to push into the center, balanced it and am flying it. It flies great. Thought about buying a Biela 4 bladed prop but haven't had time to research that one yet.

I have about 40 flights on the plane now, anywhere from 8-15 minutes long. 37F all the way to 90F, haven't had any sign of overheating. My Eagle Tree temperature logging system generally logs temps 280F-330F per cylinder. I placed the probes on the back side of the cylinder. The front sides of the cylinder are cool enough that I can touch them briefly when I come down.

Heres some photos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160220_172914605_iOS.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	2191779   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160307_033406743_iOS.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2191780   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160307_033426378_iOS.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2191781   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160416_124210896_iOS.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	2191782   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160416_124217574_iOS.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	2191783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2191784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1324.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2191785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1492.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2191786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1531.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	2191787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1603.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2191788   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif (8).jpg
Views:	894
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2191789   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif (7).jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	2191790   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif (6).jpg
Views:	921
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2191791   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif (5).jpg
Views:	951
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2191793   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif (4).jpg
Views:	991
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	2191794   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif (3).jpg
Views:	970
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	2191795  

Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif (2).jpg
Views:	921
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2191796   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif (1).jpg
Views:	886
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2191797   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto_no_exif.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	2191798  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.