Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

To Little power or to much Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Being a retired ATP which equates to " Airline Transport Pilot ", I have to agree ! BUT !! In all of my real life aviation career, I have NEVER seen any Cubs that resemble these, or have radial engines.
There was a CUB that had a radial engine. It wasn't much of an engine but it was round .... sort of! It was the J-3P and it had a 50 HP Lenape Papoose 3 cylinder radial engine. I guess the engine shook like the devil and the 50 HP may have been an optimistic rating. There have been several magazine articles about this strange combination of airplane and engine. Several still exist today and still fly.

With all that said, those radial engines in a J-3 model are just not right! If you want a big round engine in a high wing plane, build a Monocoupe!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
As a pilot of both full scale aircraft and models for more than 40 years, trust me when I say "There is no such thing as too much power in an airplane!" You can always pull the "loud lever" back, but when you want or need more power and it's not there, you're screwed! I've had some very, very uncomfortable moments flying both full scale airplanes and models when I did just that; needed more power and it wasn't there...... NOT fun.

AV8TOR
I think you are correct for the most part and within the context of your explanation but I have seen more than a few examples of airplanes, both model and full scale that had too much power. With more power comes more weight, more fuel consumption and with a recip. engine, MORE vibration. You also have to harness that power with a larger prop and this may present ground clearance problems and of course, gyroscopic issues. When flying full scale, I could never afford too much power so that was never an issue for me. I certainly wanted more power but didn't have deep enough pockets to afford it. I've had or seen several models that had too much power and were just not enjoyable to fly. Today, I usually power most of my models for unlimited vertical climb. If for example, I can achieve that climb performance with a 30 cc engine, I really don't need a 50 cc engine in that plane so that I could climb vertical faster. In return, the airframe usually flies better at the lighter weight with less vibration and fuel consumption. So I guess I'm saying I like a bit more than adequate power but not excessive power. Of course it's all personal preference.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:54 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I have never seen an episode where Cpt. Kirk asked Scotty for less power. I always get a kick out of guys making full scale references to our models. I see nothing wrong with a radial on a Cub. It's your airplane, if you can do it safely I say put a turboprop on there if that's what you want to do. My favorite airplane in my hangar? 520 sq in, 6.5 LB Macchi 202 powered with a YS 115 WS. Insane power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2034968  
Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I have never seen an episode where Cpt. Kirk asked Scotty for less power. I always get a kick out of guys making full scale references to our models. I see nothing wrong with a radial on a Cub. It's your airplane, if you can do it safely I say put a turboprop on there if that's what you want to do. My favorite airplane in my hangar? 520 sq in, 6.5 LB Macchi 202 powered with a YS 115 WS. Insane power.
If you can not make a model, referencing a full scale aircraft, boat, tank, car, etc, what do you make a model of ?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Point well taken TruckRacer, and I agree. But I still say if it's not scary, it's nowhere near powerful enough!

In all seriousness though, while grossly overpowering a model causes just the problems you stated, if I ever had a question in my mind about whether to put a 20cc engine, or a 30cc engine on a plane, it definitely would get the 30cc. (But not a 50cc)

AV8TOR
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
If you can not make a model, referencing a full scale aircraft, boat, tank, car, etc, what do you make a model of ?

Well, if we take a look at what Leonardo da Vinci did, I believe the first flying " models " were referencing a bird.

My comment was basically about some guys having the belief that if the full scale aircraft had certain characteristics then we should duplicate them with our models. Obviously I don't buy into that.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Well, if we take a look at what Leonardo da Vinci did, I believe the first flying " models " were referencing a bird.

My comment was basically about some guys having the belief that if the full scale aircraft had certain characteristics then we should duplicate them with our models. Obviously I don't buy into that.
Then good Ole Leonardo was referencing a full size bird, to build his model.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Truckracer

Point well taken TruckRacer, and I agree. But I still say if it's not scary, it's nowhere near powerful enough!

In all seriousness though, while grossly overpowering a model causes just the problems you stated, if I ever had a question in my mind about whether to put a 20cc engine, or a 30cc engine on a plane, it definitely would get the 30cc. (But not a 50cc)

AV8TOR
Yup I think we come from the same line of thinking!

Now don't take me wrong, I LIKE power and was a very active pylon racer for almost 2 decades with occasional races since then .... and I'm still competitive! Grew up with QM 15, Q500 from the beginning on through 428, F-1 in its prime years, etc. Plus all kinds of local races. My partner (now passed on) and I traveled all over this country in a Cessna 337 going to races. A great time and I am so thankful for those years.

With that said, I have seen more than a few (owned a few also) RC models that were way overpowered and were just not fun to fly for their intended purpose. So yes, I firmly believe you can have too much power. As I said before, i want plenty of power just not excessive power.

As a point of reference, have you ever seen a lightly built SIG Kadet Senior with a piped Rossi 91 in it? That is excessive power and was indeed scary!

Last edited by Truckracer; 09-25-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 PM
av8tor1977

"As a point of reference, have you ever seen a lightly built SIG Kadet Senior with a piped Rossi 91 in it? That is excessive power and was indeed scary!"

Now that's funny! Almost lost my beer!

Wow, traveling around the country in a twin Cessna just going to races. That must have been fun. I did a good bit of traveling around the country back when I was an active pilot, but not to that luxurious extent. I sure miss flying. About 5 years ago or so I spent a year and a half instructing in 3 axis ultralight planes. Can't afford the "real" planes any more. Got tired of instructing, quit, and haven't been up since, and I miss it! Sure would be nice to rent a Grumman Tiger or a Rockwell Commander again and go for a cruise....

AV8TOR
Old 09-26-2014, 06:03 AM
Granpooba

"As a point of reference, have you ever seen a lightly built SIG Kadet Senior with a piped Rossi 91 in it? That is excessive power and was indeed scary!"

Wow, traveling around the country in a twin Cessna just going to races. That must have been fun. I did a good bit of traveling around the country back when I was an active pilot, but not to that luxurious extent. I sure miss flying. About 5 years ago or so I spent a year and a half instructing in 3 axis ultralight planes. Can't afford the "real" planes any more. Got tired of instructing, quit, and haven't been up since, and I miss it! Sure would be nice to rent a Grumman Tiger or a Rockwell Commander again and go for a cruise....

AV8TOR
Being a retired ATP and older than dirt, having more hours than I care to mention, but I will mention the over 5,000 hours in corporate jets alone. I retired in 2001 just after 9/11 , because it sickened me to see what aircraft were used for on 9/11 and besides, I got very tired of making rich people happy. Have only been up a couple of times since I retired and believe me when I say, I don't miss it at all. Have friends that are still working in the aviation industry and they can not wait to get out. As they state, the whole job picture has changed and is just what it used to be.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:45 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A buddy of mine is a corporate pilot for a tier 1 supplier to the automotive industry. He's been in it forever as well. His comments lately are generally along the line of "It's just no fun anymore!". I don't miss full scale much either. I had a blast while I was in it, but nowadays, as a retiree, carefully watching my budget needs to take priority. Besides, RC holds my attention pretty well when it comes to satisfying the desires of a life long prop head....
Old 09-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Grounded one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sat here and read this Whole Thread Totally spellbound. Listening to you guys talk shop is very interesting.The way everyone talks about their Planes Big and Small is Great. This is what I love about this site. D
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Truckracer

AV8TOR
Maybe I should explain what that super sonic Kadet was used for?! Some years ago we had a Kadet climb and glide event at a local fun fly. The Kadet belonged to a pilot friend of mine (Corporate / WWII Vet in P-51, P-38, etc.) He kept adding more and more power to various Senior Kadets until he arrived at the Rossi combination. When he could get the thing running right it was a rocket ship to altitude and it was indeed scary as it looked like it was ready to shed most of its pieces whenever the engine was running.

Inactive pilot here too though I was just a sport pilot in the typical Cessnas, various older high wing Pipers, a few antiques, etc. I miss it but not enough to become active again. I keep telling myself I should get out there again before I get too old and can't pass the medical. Overall, I get far more enjoyment out of modeling than I did out of full scale. Then I think about getting back into some kind of racecar ...... that really excites me but in retirement, I no longer have the garage and workshop to support it. Its hell to get old!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM
tsnaylor1964

You are right, it is not scale but it is fun to do different things in this hobby that I could never do with full size airplanes. I would never want a 300 horse R-680 radial on my old J-3 or a 65 horse on my Travelair 4000 biplane (of course it would not be possible any way) but with the models I can fulfill any fantasy I want. It is just a hobby. As far as it being over powered, it really isn't. With the extra weight of the radial and the high elevation of my flying field, it flies very scale like.
Thanks for the interesting comments, though, it is fun to discuss this great hobby with other pilots and it helps keep this forum alive.
Tom

Name:	IMG_0172.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2035180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2035181  
Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 PM
av8tor1977

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Maybe I should explain what that super sonic Kadet was used for?! Some years ago we had a Kadet climb and glide event at a local fun fly. The Kadet belonged to a pilot friend of mine (Corporate / WWII Vet in P-51, P-38, etc.) He kept adding more and more power to various Senior Kadets until he arrived at the Rossi combination. When he could get the thing running right it was a rocket ship to altitude and it was indeed scary as it looked like it was ready to shed most of its pieces whenever the engine was running.

Inactive pilot here too though I was just a sport pilot in the typical Cessnas, various older high wing Pipers, a few antiques, etc. I miss it but not enough to become active again. I keep telling myself I should get out there again before I get too old and can't pass the medical. Overall, I get far more enjoyment out of modeling than I did out of full scale. Then I think about getting back into some kind of racecar ...... that really excites me but in retirement, I no longer have the garage and workshop to support it. Its hell to get old!
We have a lot in common. I've got a Baja Bug with a hot engine that I regularly use, and a very nice tube type sand rail that I am close to finishing. I keep thinking about building another drag car or a dirt "roundy rounder" but probably won't ever get around to it. I'm trying to talk myself out of putting a 450 horse 454 I have into my '87 Vette just for old times sake. Right now the ambitions are greater than my body and wallet can afford anymore! The models do help knock down the cravings to get back into the air myself, but man, those were the days when I flew myself a lot.

About that medical thing; be careful. The FAA booby trapped the Sport Pilot license requirements. If you have never failed a medical, then you automatically qualify as a Sport Pilot, and all you need to fly one of the new category Sport Planes legally is a biannual flight review with an instructor. (Medical certificate not required in Sport Pilot category.) However, if you go try for a medical and get denied, then you cannot ever fly even a Sport Plane. That sure screwed thousands of pilots that had lost their medical and thought that the new Sport Plane category would be their ticket to get back into the air. That, and they made the Sport Plane category so restrictive, that not even the wildly popular little Cessna 150 series fits it. Only a very few older STC planes fit the category. There has been a whole revolution of new planes created that do fit the category, but they are quite expensive. You know; "Trust me, I am from the government and I'm here to help you." Uh huh....

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 09-26-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by ahicks
A buddy of mine is a corporate pilot for a tier 1 supplier to the automotive industry. He's been in it forever as well. His comments lately are generally along the line of "It's just no fun anymore!". I don't miss full scale much either. I had a blast while I was in it, but nowadays, as a retiree, carefully watching my budget needs to take priority. Besides, RC holds my attention pretty well when it comes to satisfying the desires of a life long prop head....
My explanation to people about real life flying is that " Flying is a Passion ", but once you have lost the passion for it, then it is time to get out.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:25 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Dunno. In his case, I believe the "passion" is still there. When you're making what he is, you might have more of a tendency to push yourself to maintain professionalism? He doesn't just fly for them. He manages the entire flight division.

I was flying right seat with this guy in a small twin (Beech Duchess) when we lost oil pressure and had to shut the starboard engine down - at night - over the "hills" in eastern PA. He was like ice. A consummate professional. His piloting isn't about him when he's in the left seat. It's about the people in back of him...

He didn't want to alarm our passengers (his brother and my wife), so he just reached over and tapped on the oil pressure gauge, which was dropping rapidly. I glanced over to the engine to check it out, expecting to see it covered in black oil. In the dark, I couldn't see a thing! To save the engine, he shut it down and feathered the prop while declaring an engine out to the controller. As luck would have it, we were near a closed National Guard strip, and made a safe landing there. The kicker? There was so much ice on the runway and taxiway, turning the plane with the brakes was impossible. We had to get out and literally push the plane to the one single very small FBO on the field.

Happy ending though. The mechanic that had gone home for the evening stopped eating in the middle of his dinner, came back to work, identified the problem as a broken oil line, AND FOUND AN OIL LINE WITH THE RIGHT ENDS LAYING IN THE BOTTOM OF HIS TOOL BOX!!!

We were back in the air 2 hours later....

Last edited by ahicks; 09-26-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

Here's too much power! Challenge Tool Husqvarna 7.3 (120cc) 22 hp. 30x12 prop at 7000 rpm.

Name:	too much power.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2040667